2 comments

Contemporary Friendship Fiction

Sam worked at a small coffee shop, called Creek-land Brews. She loved getting to talk to people everyday and trying her best to put a smile on each person's face. Her favorite beverage they served was a red velvet iced coffee, with almond milk and whipped cream on top. Sam was your average twenty year old girl, appearing to everyone as the nice brunette girl with blue eyes and a soft voice. On the inside, Sam was dealing with anxiety, for a long time; she didn't realize what it was. Until one day when a girl, close to Sam's age, walked in. After a few minutes of talking, they were instant friends. They had so much in common, and their love and enthusiasm for coffee was the same. They had the same taste in books, movies, and they both even shared the same birthday month. Chrissy had blonde hair, that was in a bun most days and bright green eyes. She had a thing for splatter paint on jeans and preferred to wear her white sneakers over anything else. Chrissy came to the coffee shop every Tuesday and Thursday, sometimes Mondays, as often as she could from that day on. 

Chrissy helped Sam in more ways than one. Sam was very thankful and appreciative for such a great friend. Many nights when Sam was having a rough time, Chrissy would always be there to comfort her and just be a shoulder to cry on for her. One Tuesday morning, the wind was blowing so violently that limbs began to fall, and leaves blew past in a gust. Chrissy walked in, her messy bun disheveled even more than usual. "Sam, you will never believe what happened." Chrissy exclaimed; utter happiness was written all over her face. " Spit it out Chrissy, you know I don't like suspense" she pleaded, knowing her friend liked to tease her any chance she got. " You know that cactus I bought last week, and the video I made about it." Chrissy asked, breathing heavily from rushing from her apartment to the coffee shop. "Yes, what about it ?" Sam giggled, Chrissy's energy and spirit always had a positive and great impact on her. "It went viral, and the other videos I have posted after it are doing great too! She exclaimed, taking a few breaths. "I can't believe a small cactus could do that much." Chrissy said in disbelief. Sam quickly grabbed her phone, looking at Chrissy's account and the views that continued to climb. 

"That is incredible Chrissy! Finally they are seeing your talents like I have come to know and love" Sam smiled. Days passed and Chrissy worked hard to come up with great content to post, new things her and Sam came up with, as well as more content about the cactus that got so many peoples attention. It was two weeks after the good news that Sam visited Chrissy for dinner and a movie at Chrissy' apartment. "Have you come up with a name for the little guy." Sam asked, They had come up with so many it was hard to keep it straight and laugh at the ridiculous ones. "I'm letting the viewers decide" Chrissy said, chuckling at the thought of our brainstorming spell earlier. "Maybe they will do a better job than us" They both laughed at that. "My goodness at the sticky notes " Sam commented, looking up at the handwritten notes of ideas on her wall. "I've been working really hard on more ideas, skits and just funny topics. I love that so many people have a new reason for some laughs."

Sam opened up her laptop and the picture of her aunt popped up. She couldn't bring herself to change the desktop background; it was the picture she took of her aunt Lisa on their fall trip a few years ago. Her aunt Lisa had passed away from breast cancer, along with having pneumonia and liver failure. A single tear glided down Sam's cheek. Before the tear could hit her pillow; that she had placed next to her, Chrissy had wiped it away with her thumb. "It's okay Sam, she is with you always and would love that you make so many people smile everyday just by being you." Chrissy smiled, she knew these last few months after Sam had lost her aunt, had been tough for her and her entire family. "Here, let's watch my last video" Chrissy suggested, sliding the laptop over to her and pulling up the video. " I know it will make you feel better. If not we will watch another and another" Chrissy joked, bringing out a small smile on Sam's face.

That night Sam watched videos that Chrissy worked hard to make and edit, and they even filmed a few together themselves to post later. It was definitely what Sam needed, her aunt had been such a big part of her life. Cancer doesn't care who you are, where you come from; your age, or even the challenges you may have already had to face. If Sam could ever save up enough money to go to college, she would help others with cancer. Help them fight and kick cancers butt. Working at the coffee shop was great, but Sam was meant for more. 

The next day it was pouring down rain when Sam stepped on to her front porch. Pulling out her umbrella, she hurried to the car and got in as quickly as she could. "Hope I make it to work in one piece this morning, my goodness" Sam mutters to herself. Ten minutes into her drive to work, Sam's phone rings. She grabs it and puts it on speaker phone, "Hello?" Sam says. She turns on her signal and turns right down Johnson Street, the thunderstorm getting worse the closer she gets to the coffee shop. "Hi Sam, it's Grayson. This storm I'd get out of control. I think it's best to just not open today" relieved, Sam pulls over into a parking lot. "You may be already on your way , but I just wanted to call and let you know. " Grayson continues. "Okay, no problem. Turning around and heading back home now. This storm is nuts" Sam shakes her head, this day was starting off in an insane way. "Be safe" Grayson adds before he hangs up.

Sam turns around and starts to drive back home. Limbs are falling, some already on the roads causing traffic to back up .The wind blowing hard, pushing against her car. The rain begins to fall harder and harder, making it more and more difficult for Same to see. Her windshield pipers on high, drastically going back and forth at full speed to combat the increasingly larger raindrops. Same takes a deep breath, mutters to herself "I just want to get home" , she repeats the words over and over again. After making the next turn left, onto Haven Street, she hears the roar and crackling of thunder and lightning. Right in front of her a bolt of lightning strikes the old tree in front of her and it begins to fall. Already going fifty miles an hour, rain pouring down, soaking the roads and puddling up in the ditches. Sam's vehicle struggles to slow down. 

Sam's yellow Jeep crashes hard into the giant old oak tree that slams into the road after the lightning strikes. Her airbags deploy, and it jolts her forward. Everything turns black, Sam passes out upon impact. She doesn't recall the ambulance arriving, removing her from her vehicle and placing her on the stretcher. She doesn't remember the ride to the hospital, her parents being notified or being admitted to New Haven Hospital. Her parents immediately call Chrissy and tell her what they know. All of them headed to the hospital, holding on to the hope that Sam would be okay.

Once the doctors and nurses assessed the injuries on Sam, they determined she had a broken arm and her left ankle was also broken. The crash caused a lot of bruising on her body, burns on her arms and legs, and she also had a concussion.

It wasn't long before the wheeled her into surgery. Her family arrived minutes later, waiting anxiously in the waiting room for any word on their daughter. Chrissy arrived not long after Sam's parents. Chrissy brings them coffee from the cafeteria. Hours passed, everyone taking turns glancing at the clock on the wall. After waiting, for what seemed like forever; the doctor approached the family and Chrissy with news of Sam's surgery. He cleared his throat and gave them a reassuring smile, "Sam is doing wonderfully, surgery went well. She is resting now." Everyone let out a big sigh of relief. They felt like they had finally released a breath that they had all been holding in since they'd arrived. 

"Sam will need at least a month of physical therapy, maybe more but we will see. She will also get some medication for the pain. And we suggest for her to take it easy once she is released. Effects of the concussion can last up to ten days." The doctor continued, making sure they understood everything and knew what the next steps were. "Her recovery will be tough, but we will print out everything you need to know, along with recommendations and get you all the necessary paperwork shortly." The doctor shook Anna and Kevin's hands, Sam's Parents, and walked away to see another patient . Chrissy and Sam's parents walked into her hospital room; they immediately saw how beat up Sam's face was; her arm in a cast and a sling. 

Sam slept for another hour after surgery before opening her eyes and scanning the room. "Mom? Dad? What happened?" Sam asked, her voice raspy and rough. "You were in a car accident sweetie. Broken arm and wrist, concussion, bruising. You're pretty beat up but we are glad you're okay." Her mom spoke softly, brushed Sam's bangs from her face. "We were so worried, so glad your okay kiddo" Same turned to her dad when he spoke. He got up from his chair and hugged her, being careful not to hurt her. She looked so fragile; the accident really had done a number on her. Sam scanned the room, she was meant to see Chrissy after work, after work got canceled she was going to call her., but then the accident happened.

"Where is Chrissy?"

Her mom smiled, "She went to get you something. She said it brought her joy and that's what you needed." Sam closed her eyes, dozing off for a little while before waking up to the sound of the door opening and closing. Chrissy had returned, with a cactus in her hands; similar to the one she had made her videos about recently. "Hi Sam, I brought you this little guy." She walked over to Sam's bed, letting her see it up close. "I'm glad your okay, we were all so worried about you " Chrissy said, her voice shaky. "Thank you Chrissy" Sam said, her eyes going from the cactus. She admired the hand-painted pot, it's pretty pink color and the orange polka dots all over it. Then Sam noticed the note attached to it.

"Is that a note? Can you read it to me?" Asked Sam, pulling her blankets on her down to get more comfortable. " It says , For Sam. I hope this little cactus helps you in all the ways it has helped me. Plants have the power to heal and make us smile. Here is one of your very own. Thanks for being my friend, Love Chrissy." 

- - - - -

Sam continued to take care of the cactus her friend had given her weeks ago; it truly helped her during her recovery. It's amazing what a simple house plant, a simple cactus, can do. 

April 29, 2022 01:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Fred Aiken
17:45 May 05, 2022

It was a nice slice of life sort of story. The pacing was awkward at times, and there were some pretty glaring grammatical and spelling errors, but those can usually be remedied pretty easily. Overall, it seemed like it had a very targeted audience and was a nice piece. Thanks for sharing.

Reply

Ashlyn Cave
16:06 May 18, 2022

Thank you for your comment, I really appreciate it. I did notice the errors after I submitted it, mistake on my part but I know for the future to triple check (: thanks for reading, getting feedback only makes me want to get better

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.