Kami Complex

Submitted into Contest #149 in response to: Start your story with the flickering of a light.... view prompt

0 comments

Asian American Historical Fiction Teens & Young Adult

It keeps flickering so when will this fire die? Ever since I've turned into this, the only thing I've been able to see is a lit fire in the dark, sometimes it's at a stand still, sometimes it goes to the right or left, but most of the time it flickers. Whenever the fire moves I always hear something that follows, the fire goes to the right when I hear an unfamiliar noise, and to the left when I hear yelling of any kind. I don’t like when it flickers though; screams and pleas are followed by it and I’ll even taste blood occasionally, I’m sorry you’re probably wondering what I’m talking about, let me explain. 

I’m Takiriōne or Takiri for short and I’ve been surviving in this baron wasteland of a planet I live on, ever since the light was blocked off nothing’s been the same. I’m only alive because of 3 reasons and they go by the names of Nihilus, Horan, and Saytus. Horan, my day one best friend who's stuck with me through thick and thin. I remember when we were around 16 or so, an ex-girlfriend of a buddy of mine at the time tried to attack me after I called her out on all of her faults & her being the reason things didn’t work out with my friend. So, she got upset and kept trying to attack me and before she could, Horan tackled the girl to the ground and waited for security or someone to come. Witnessing that and also when she would punch the girl whenever she’d retaliate made me realize that I love her. Once more do I wish to see her but for what good? I can’t change what I am, I can’t change my stubbornness, I couldn’t change my ego, I couldn’t change my feelings, and I couldn’t even change HIS death. Sorry about that, it was just rambling. So Saytus, she’s Horan’s half sister and man this is one of the wisest people to ever exist. Whenever we sparred I could never overcome and prevail as the winner as she would always outsmart me, every time I lost she repeatedly told me “master is merely a title, each and every person remains a student; constantly learning. Nihilus, he’s my uncle, mentor and the last piece of my real family I have left, I miss him.  see we all hail from a certain clan where we all share the same progenitor being, Nihilus and I just so happen to hail from the clan of Amaterasu while Saytus and Horan hail from clan Ra. Yes, we originate from gods but we are not pure gods, only half of one. 

For us demigods, our godhood works differently as we remain normal humans until the age of sixteen and then eventually the journey and training to contain an uncontrollable surge of deity energy that suddenly awakens within you begins. Neither Horan nor I was made aware of what we truly were until after we escaped from inside of an underground lab facility we woke up in with amnesia, later we found out it was used for agonizing testing on our deity brethren. After escaping from that lab we ran to the nearest village and explored the place for anything to help us, and help we found. Uncle Nihilus was fortunately in the village looking for heirlooms to be passed down to Nihilus and I was left by his brother, my dad. Nihilus was speechless seeing us again but he ran up to us and gave us an unyielding hug as he told us he almost lost all hope of seeing us again. After the reunion Nihilus realized it was time to break the news to the both of us, I was filled with a sense of pride and a strive to be superior, Horan was filled with ego and defensiveness almost like she finally had power for once in her life and wanted to abuse her newfound power. 

Our training then commenced the very next day as Nihilus made us his pupils to prepare us for this new sunless world. Our lives haven’t had any down time ever since then plus even during our first initial training we couldn’t go without being ambushed. It was interrupted by these crab/alien/demon looking creatures we call grells. By this point, Uncle Nihilus and Saytus had been training Horan and I for at most three months at that point. So, there we were in the middle of training learning the ways of bōjutsu and then once I knew it I was surrounded by hordes of the grells and by that time I only had about a month worth of training in and I somehow was able to fend off the grells before nearly dying to a punch from an enhanced version of the grells called a grellox; those things are as tall as a supermarket. The grellox started to approach me while I was still trying to recover from that punch and Nihilius had been drop kicked all the way towards Saytus who got knocked out at the start of the ambush. I’ll never forget this moment but before it could kill me, Horan came soaring out of nowhere and kicked the monster right in the face and effectively saved my life, and there we were fighting side by side with great chemistry, well of course there was that one part where the grellox got the upper hand on her and I thought she was about to die but she recovered and we then made our final move performing a spinning kick and double punch through the creature and emerging victorious. I just wish the celebration lasted longer because right after we were then treated to two more foes who go by Onhsuu & Sykoto. We weren’t so lucky to get foes like those two because they just so happened to also be demigods; Onhsuu, he hails from clan Khonsu and Sykoto, she hails from clan Tsukuyomi. Before the fight began, Horan and I were told to stay put by Nihilus & Saytus if we surely valued our lives or not. So, with hardly any time wasted Nihilus made the first move by slamming Onhsuu to the ground and using his sol step technique allowing him to move at breathtaking speed almost appearing as if he teleported and because of that I didn’t see where he disappeared off to. Saytus promptly summoned a staff from thin air and took on Sykoto as their fight kept constantly moving and even fought on the side of a humongous tree near the ending which turned out to be the cosmos tree or better known as the Yggdrasil. Sykoto was able to catch Saytus off guard, almost wounding her severely. In retaliation, Saytus grabbed Sykoto and started plummeting to the ground; the off balance allowed Sykoto to be freed from her grip and unveiled her own set of weapons called chakram. These chakrams weren’t ordinary at all as Sykoto could move along with the weapon so if she threw it she could soon follow suit, that was able to catch Saytus off guard and she was then slammed into the ground almost killing Saytus. Nihilus had Onhsuu by the throat before Sykoto intervened, saved Onhsuu’s life and left. I hurriedly rushed to Saytus to help her and all I saw was her just laying down staring upwards and asked if she was ok, she just laughed and stood back up wiping off her clothes. Afterwards, we journeyed to the top of the Yggdrasil looking for answers to all of our questions like, who were those two demigods?, and where were the whereabouts of our demigod brethren during all of this. Turns out our whole race was slaughtered, captured, and tested on by a faction of moon deities calling themselves the Luna world order; Onhsuu and Sykoto were prominent figures within the order.

The gods of the sun & moon have had a personal beef with each other for centuries leading back all the way to the time of the original progenitors. Amaterasu and Ra were colleagues during their lifetime, they partnered up on plenty of occasions to deal with the conflicting deities and complications of the world even battling formidable adversaries such as Veles, Loki, and even the Morrigan. Racking up all of their victories and their aid to the mortals impressed the other gods so much they were revered, that didn’t sit well with other pagan gods as they felt they were getting special treatment from their fellow deities and even the mortals themselves, some of those gods consisted of Shalim, Zelus, Nyx, Tsukuyomi, and of course Khonsu. They then formed the Luna world order and planned for centuries on how to overthrow Amaterasu, Ra, and any other sun or normal god that would dare stand in their way, fortunately enough a new demi god was born. The new half deity owed his godhood to his father Ares the god of war and he was named Khan by his mother. Khan was contacted by the Luna world order to become his new father figure in his life as Khan never even knew his father was Ares, after years and years of grooming the child Khan was ready to fully serve under the Luna world order and acted as their middle man in the mortal realm. During Khan’s conquering of the world some members of the order decided to have children too, especially with a mortal. As far as I know only two children were born, Onhsuu & Sykoto. Once those two completed their training they became the final key to the order as after they joined the downfall of the pagan sun gods began and the last to be targeted was a tiny little village in the outskirts of the eastern mountains, my home.

All of this has led up to this moment, the moment I’ve dreaded recalling, my head aches, my heart has been shattered, and my body remains restless to this very day just thinking about it, my uncle Nihilus was murdered. About a year after Horan and I woke up we went looking for Khan after getting a tip that he was alive and well along with his supposed location, but along the way we rescued a girl whose name was Lilith who also had amnesia and because of that we sympathized for her. We fed her, clothed her, protected and even risked our lives for her sake as she became a part of the family. Here’s the thing, loyalty and trust can easily be broken from just a single occurrence, and that’s exactly what she did to us. After a failed assassination attempt on Nihilus she revealed herself to us as a spy for Khan and even a demigod sharing her genes with her mother Dianmu a goddess of lightning. According to Lilith, Nihilus was the only one out of us four that Khan feared the most. Nihilus commanded us to stay away from the fight and to go find Khan before it’s too late. I didn’t listen and stayed to try and fight alongside him but after that it’s all dark as I was told Saytus knocked out Horan and I unconscious. I was upset over that fact and after lashing out on Saytus I calmly asked for his whereabouts, she sighed and just pointed to where I should go. I ran nonstop for hours only to come across two bodies; a man and a woman. It was only lifeless bodies; neither of them lived their fight. I couldn’t save him all because I was too weak and spoiled. I was arrogant and foolish. I let my mentor, the only person I can genuinely call my family, be taken from me. Why did I not expect Saytus to do that? A god shouldn’t have been caught with their guard down and yet I thought too highly of myself and look where that got me; a husk of a self proclaimed righteous demigod turned into a demon. His death is what triggered this transformation, it all happened so quickly before I could even comprehend what had just happened. There was a colossal wave of aura that surrounded me and then, it went black and a flame was lit; it started to flicker right after. A constant plea begging me to stop came from a familiar voice and what soon followed those pleas was the voice of a woman saying, “I’ll see mom again.” The words came from Saytus directed to Horan and the pleas were coming from Horan, once I got a grasp on reality of who I had just slain I managed to snap back to reality for a split second telling Horan to run before I succumbed to my own power.

It’s been almost two years since then, I wish I was dead. I shouldn’t be alive still. What’s my purpose anymore? I’m doomed to tread the world entrapped in my own body not being able to do anything while it murders thousands of innocents trying to survive in this apocalyptic hell. This is all my fault maybe if I became like Horan and learned that being a god doesn’t mean you’re invincible to anything as there are things not even a god can control; like the mind. My mind is what led to my downfall and it’s what led to Horan’s success, I hope she’s still alive and well. If I can’t save myself, the only person I want doing that is Horan. I just want her to put me out of my misery and possibly hers as well, she’s probably still hurt over what I did and if she is the one to end my life then I will be content with dying. Oh? What’s this? The flame has gone out, is it my time finally? I can see again! I see a woman with long black & orange hair in the distance coming this way. Horan.

June 11, 2022 02:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.