The Abandoned house

Submitted into Contest #102 in response to: Write about a mysterious figure in one’s neighborhood.... view prompt

2 comments

Fiction

The shingles were dark grey and the whole house seemed like it was a living horror movie. It's windows draped with spiderwebs and the glass had a thick permanent mist on it that reminded us of a fall leaf. The tree's gave an eerier feel to the house. It had been abandoned for almost thirty years. The old oak wood floor boards creeked when wind travelled on it and the wood seemed like it would collapse under the weight of a cat. The chimeny had moss on it from the moisture and dirt that had built up in the woods around the house and it seemed a mystery just how it was still standing.

There are rumors and stories that the house belonged to a rich old lady, who went on a vacation and never returned. Greg moved to this neighbourhood three years ago and the house has been in the same deserted condition ever since. Being one of a few police officers in the area he took it upon himself to keep an eye on the house for any suspicious activity. He new first hand the dangers of abandoned buildings and how they affect communities.

One day,he stared at the house while eating a caramel coated doughnut from a small distance. Everything seemed in check except the house started to give off a putrid smell. He takes afew steps back before noticing the window on the very last floor had been broken.

"Too high to have been broken from the outside"he thought to himself. "Could there be someone living in the abandoned house?"

Greg's phone chirped. It was his best friend Paul,who told him something that sent him storming off to the police station.

"Thanks for getting me out Greg "

"Don't mention it. You wanna tell me what happened?"

"Look I know what you thinking but its not like that okay, I got into a fight, no big deal."

"I hope not. You've been acting really strange lately and the last thing I want is for you to go back to jail. I know you and Portia are going through alot right now."

"I know I know,but I got it under control for real this time."

"And financially?"

"Things are slowly getting better "

"Well I'm glad to hear that "

Paul turns his head to look out the window as the two rod in silence for a while.

"Did you notice the broken window at that abandoned house,asked Greg in an attempt to ignite a conversation with Paul who still seemed very tense."

"Probably some kids playing ball",he rattled off.

"I don't know mahn,something seems off."

"I think you're being paranoid. Anyways mahn I'll see you later."

"Alright Cheers"

The following day,on his way to Paul's house,Greg swings pass the abandoned house only to get the shock of his life. The broken window had been perfectly repaired and there was still no sign that anybody was living in the house.

"Hey Mrs Parker!Do you know who's living in the abandoned house?"

"Why no son,that house has been empty for thirty years now. Surely I would've known if someone was living there,what with me being right across the street".

"Well that's strange,Anyways I have to go,but please let me know if you hear anything".

"Will do"

Greg was in a hurry to check up on Paul and his wife Portia 

"Do the Maddens still live here?" He joked as he entered the house and found his best friend sitting alone on the couch.

"Hey what's up "

"Where's Portia?"

"Oh uhh,she's out of town ,visiting a relative."

"I brought her this romcom film I know she'll enjoy."

"How kind of you,I'll be sure she gets it".

Greg gently places the CD on the dusty counter.

"So how's things between y'all "

"We good. Gotta say I'm enjoying having the place to myself tho."

Laughs."Speaking of houses the strangest thing happened to me today".

"What's that".

"The window at the abandoned house has been totally repaired,which is weird because there still no sign of anybody living there."

"I honestly don't know what to tell you" replied Paul who eyes were fixed on the 15 inch T.V."

"Something just doesn't add up,I aksed Mrs Parker and the neighbours to keep an eye out."

"Is that really necessary,how about we just head pass there tonight after the game and put all of this to rest.?If somebody is living there they should be home by then."

"I guess your right ".

"I'm always right. You ready for tonight's game?"

"Ready to watch you loose"

Paul laughs as they continue to make fun of each other.

So later that night Greg and Paul revisited the abandoned house. All the lights were off. There was not a single sound or any indication of life for that matter.

Knocks on the door.

"I don't need to be a police officer to tell you there's no one here".

"Maybe we should take a look inside".

"Absolutely not!"

"This was your idea remember"

"No,I suggested we come here to see if anyone was living here,I did not sign up for a tour of the abandoned house."

"You still mad about loosing?" Greg joked.

"I'm just not ready to see whatever is inside there."

"Point taken,I'll just have to get afew of my boys to check it out tomorrow".

"Sounds like a plan"

"Anyways I gotta head pass the station,see you at church tomorrow?"

"I don't know hay"

"C'mon,you ain't been to church for a while now".

"God knows my heart okay,Paul said.

"Yeah but he doesn't know your face".

Giggles."You might be right about that".

Moments later,at the police station Greg runs into an old friend.

"Gregory! Oh thank God you're here. I have something to tell you.I think Portia is missing".

"Calm down okay,Paul says shes out of town visiting a relative".

"Look shes my sister okay,she wouldn't leave town without telling me and I've been trying to get a hold of here all week."

"That makes no sense,Why would Paul lie about her whereabouts".

"I don't know but he's been acting really strange lately. Portia did say that they've been fighting alot lately.Ever since Paul started planning the break in"

"No no no no,Paul gave up that life,he wouldn't do that".

"Well that's what she told me and now she's missing".

Phone rings.

"Gregory hi,mrs Parker here.I just saw somebody with a black hoodie entering the abandoned house carrying a box.He looked very suspicious."

Greg's phone falls out his hand as he comes to a shocking realization.

"It all makes sense now"he mumbled to himself.

"Wait,what makes sense?",she asks.

"Officer Sanchez!" yells greg.

"What's going on?"

"Grab the van. We need to go." 

"Go where?"

"I'll explain on the way."

"Wait right here",Greg offers Portias sister.

Officer Sanchez interrupts"we ready to go."

They rush to the vehicle.

"So where we going?"

"I think Paul killed his wife"

"You joking right?"

"Dead serious!"

"Why would you even think that?"

"Look Paul and Portia have been going through a financial crisis with Paul just getting out of jail and Portia loosing her job."

"Okay and?"

"Well Mary says Paul was planing another break in.My guess is that that broke into the abandoned house to see for anything valuable."

"Okay then how did she die?"

"I don't know.Maybe they got into a fight in the house. It would explain how the window broke and why he would fix it."

"That's a little farfetched don't you think?."

"Look that's not all.Get this. The house was starting to give off a bad smell.And moments ago mrs Parker phones me and says she saw someone mysterious walking into the abandoned house with a box."

"So you think he's moving the body?"

"He knew I was planning on sending guys in so he had to move it. Which would also explain why didn't want us to go in the house."

"Okay if all this is true then where are we going."

"If i know Paul,theres only one other place her would try and hide the body."

July 16, 2021 15:31

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Stevie Burges
07:47 Jul 22, 2021

The basic story is enjoyable but it needs more proof reading - there are mistakes in the story which make the reading a little 'clunky'. I was also not too sure about the ending - did I miss the other place where Paul might hide the body?

Reply

Olwethu Ntimbane
17:38 Jul 22, 2021

Okay,thanks for the feedback.💪❤ No not really,the last line was more about the fact that Paul knew him so well,not so much about where he would hide the body,but now that you mention it,it would've been better if I included it.Thanks again.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.