THE JOURNEY WITHOUT LUCY.

Submitted into Contest #63 in response to: Write a story from the perspective of a bird migrating for the winter.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction Inspirational African American

Lucy woke up to the sound of birds early morning, stretching and smiling through the brighter sun. she pull up the curtains and saw numerous birds feeding on the grass not far from her backyard farm.

Lucy walked up to the birds and tried getting one as a pet, unfortunately she slipped and fell. Her neighbour's children giggle and chuckled at her. 

One of the children walked up to Lucy and said, would you love to keep one? She nodded and said yes, would like to keep one as a pet, I wouldn't mind if you offer a help.maybe your friends would call you names.

The little boy said to her, don't worry you will have one but my friends do not dictate to me, I do things on my free will and that makes me free from slavery. 

Lucy was astonished by his response and cheered him up after a slippery catch of the birds. 

He successfully held one of the birds and hand it over to Lucy, Lucy was happy and planned getting a house for her pet. Lucy appreciated the child's gesture and promised him a sumptuous meal with ice cream and cake. 

It's a beautiful Monday morning, Lucy swiftly dressed up for work, she had a free class coupon on ornithology, she invited her friend, mercilla who joined her later.lucy grabbed her bag to get a snack, 

On her way to the shop she chanced upon her boyfriend Roland who was busily romancing another young woman. She stepped back and got home depressed. She needed to talk to someone. 

I may not have the right friends to talk to because they may go out to talk my problems and wouldn't understand me but I think I may need to move on and love myself. It obvious he doesnt need me and apparently has a new woman. She stressed. 

She remembered the bird, she hastily rushed out and went to it. You don't know how much have really missed you, how was your day? hope you had a great day but mine went roughly bad and hope to share with you.

Lucy held it and headed straight to her room . She had a tree like structure in her room. The bird rests on it. She cried and narrated how she pop up with her boyfriend with another woman.

 Have tried all my strength to give my love and attention but it failed, my attention wouldn't be enough for him but I think it's understanding. Roland wouldn't let me explain myself. So my efforts was void to him. 

Lucy cried and slept off. 

She went to work the following day only to be sacked from her workplace because her sex video got leaked and since she act as a representative to the company's she lost her job at hand.

She cried back home and called Ronald. 

Lucy :what is the meaning of what you did and what have I done to you to deserve this? 

Roland :I want you to feel the pain I went through all for fighting out our love but you were busy with studies of birds that got no plans for us. What will a pet bring value to our relationship? 

Lucy: but Roland I tried to make it work despite my busy schedules, I tried, 

Roland: maybe it wasn't good enough and I'm sorry to put you through this but you deserve it. 

Lucy drop the call immediately and run up to the bird, the bird has been silence on her breakup issue, it finally said to her:

 "I might be leaving you soon, you need to stay strong and fight your battles. The bird quickly flew back to it house. 

One wouldn't imagine the smile and shock on Lucy's face, she couldn't believe her pet finally spoke but saddened about its leaving soon. 

She questioned herself why the leave and why it been so soon?

Some few weeks later, Lucy went out with her pet since it's the last time they're gonna see each other. At night ,they had a fun time. 

 Bird :Lucy, the day you tried a grip on us, I felt shaken and sad especially when your lad caught me, was thinking that could be end of me but hey see who is having a good time! It's sad I have to leave you here and migrate. You might not know I'm a migratory bird, I need to find a better place for shelter, food and look also at the climatic condition that will favor me, have got it all planned up but it's sad I have to leave you here, you have been an amazing person and hopes to know you more but surely my way through here won't be missen,

Lucy :I appreciate you and and your time spent with me, wish you a safer journey. 

Bird: That has been my fear but I'm gonna conquer, we get threatened by your collegues forgetting we're just like them, crossing several borders hasn't been an easy task but we will pull through. My advice to you is to be yourself, love yourself more, make yourself happy because no one else will do and appreciate life. 

Love will come on it own never and never force it. Be kind Lucy. 

Lucy: I'm flattered, thanks for your kind words. It's a bye, be good too. Safe journey Malos

Bird :hahaha guess that's my new name, I really love it my sweet pop Lucy. 

They all laughed and embraced each other. 

It was time for Malos to set off, it bid a farewell to Lucy, it tears drop on her and flew away. 

On it way, it had a flashback on Lucy. Lucy is a kind young lady, she doesn't deserve a bad treat from that guy but well who knows it all. I'm already missing my stay. Wish to find a place like hers but hey this humans might hit you up there and try hurting you for nothing. Wish to tell them I'm innocent. If this journey doesn't go well, I might return to my sweet Lucy. 

Malos placid face lit up with a smile gives him energy and good hopes for its migration. 

October 16, 2020 20:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.