Alone Together

Submitted into Contest #60 in response to: Write a post-apocalyptic romance.... view prompt

0 comments

Romance Science Fiction Adventure

I am sad.


There is no denying it. The sadness still envelops me, all these many years later.


It has been a long time since I have been held in the arms of my Compatriot. She was kind, and loving, and gentle. She used her long-fingered hands to ease my fears and provide a safe haven of comfort.


But she is long gone now, along with all the other Bipedals. They are all gone.


So, I have walked this earth alone, without my Compatriot by my side. I still remember being pressed against her body as she fell ill, her heart racing. It had happened so quickly, and without warning. I can still remember the warmth seeping away from her skin until only cold remained, her hand lying peacefully upon my head.


I blink the memory away. It is of no use now.


But, all the same, I am sad. Alone.


And hungry.


It has been many days since I last feasted. I remember the meal fondly. It was a squirrel. He was fast, no doubt; but, I was faster, and I overpowered him easily. I can still remember the salty flavor of his flesh and blood as I devoured him.


My stomach rumbles as I recall the episode.


Oh, how I long to find another rodent to satisfy my seemingly endless hunger.


I walk along the road. It is light now. I like the light much more than the dark of the night. It is always a feeling of peace to meet the bright orb in the sky after a long night of hiding and waiting. Listening.


There are large vehicles scattered about, some in the very middle of the road, the rotting Bipedals still stuck at the wheel. I considered consuming on them, only once. But their flesh is rancid and vile. I do not suspect I would live after a bite of their rotting bodies.


So, I walk, and wait. For a sound, for a creature… for anything. I will not much live longer without a meal.


There. A sound.


I pause, lifting my nose in the air, waiting to catch the scent. I swivel my ears toward the direction––it was east. I am sure of it.


There.


And then, the smell hits me.


I glance around quickly. A car, to my right. I sprint towards it, trying to quiet my beating heart. I duck underneath and hide there, paralyzed, listening.


“Hello?”


The voice is clear, and loud. Deep. Unafraid.


This is no mere rodent. This is another of my kind.


A canine. And, possibly, a deadly one.


I make no movement or an attempt to answer the lone word that still hangs in the air.


“Hello? I heard you. You can come out.”


I narrow my eyes, trying to search for him. But there is only the road, and the few cars, and the forest behind them.


“I won’t hurt you. I… please. I need your help.” There is a note of desperation in his voice. It pulls at me unexpectedly.


Slowly, very slowly, I move along underneath the car, still hidden in the shadow. I take a deep breath.


“Move where I can see you.” My voice is hard. Cold. Exactly what it should be.


I hear a deep breath of relief, followed by a dragging sound along the pavement. It is coming from the other side of the car at my diagonal. I wait as the sound comes closer.


And then I see him.


He is a bit larger than me, but not by much. His fur is a pure, ethereal white, long and thick. His tale swings low behind him. I can see the pale blue of his eyes even from here.


I watch as he steps from the car and into the sunlight, dragging a…

Rabbit. Rabbits. He’s dragging a long cloth line of rabbits, maybe ten of them.


My stomach gurgles loudly. His ears swivel in my direction, but I am still hidden by shadow. He doesn’t make an attempt to walk close to me. Instead, he sits on his haunches, and drops the line from this mouth.


“I need help finishing this meal,” he says brightly.


I stare in disbelief. It is a trick, undoubtedly. He deceived me.


He must sense my astonishment, because he clears his throat. “Er, I mean… I’ve been following you. Watching you. From a distance. I mean… that sounds, uh––“ he shuffles, using his front paw to scratch at his right ear. He takes a deep breath. “I’ve been following you for a week, and I noticed that you haven’t found anything to eat. So, I ran out to the forest and caught all these over the last couple of nights. I was hoping you’d like to share with me.”


Without thinking about it, I tense my muscles, and explode from the car.


He reels backwards as I sprint towards him, snarling. I lunge at him, my paw catching his throat. I quickly straighten as I pin him to the hard ground, my snout inches from his.


“There is no sharing in this world,” I growl. “The age of niceties ended with the Bipedals. It is kill or be killed.”


“I’m guessing you’re the one doing the killing,” he says, gasping for air, trying to wiggle from out of my grasp.


I bare my teeth. He winces, and then stops moving. “Fine. Get it over with then.”


I stay there, leaning over him. Staring into those blue eyes, which stare back determinedly.


Slowly, I release my grip. He leaps away from me and shakes out his fur before looking at me with weary eyes, his fur raised. “So… you’re not going to kill me.”


I sit, measuring him. “Not yet.”


A small smile. His fur falls back down, flat once again. “I’ll take that.” He nods his head toward the rabbits, licking his chops. “So. You want to share?”


“Why did you follow me?” I ask, my voice flat. “What do you want from me?”


“I don’t want anything from you,” he says softly. “I just want you.” He widens his eyes, scratching his ears again. “Er, sorry. That’s not what I meant. I mean––I want a companion. Someone to travel with.”


“Why?” I press.


He stares at me in surprise. “Why not?”


I can’t seem to find the words to his question.


“Look,” he says, smiling gently. “It’s been a lonely road. I lost my Compatriot a year ago. He was just a child. I still remember the day he faded from this world…” he looks down sadly, avoiding my gaze. I feel my muscles relax. “It is lonely. I am lonely. So, when I caught a glimpse of you, I decided to follow you. I wanted to see what you were like. And…”


“Well?” I ask. My voice is kinder this time, curious. I try to find the anger in it again. I come up short.


“And… you’re not like the other canines I have met. They are cruel, and vicious. They eat the Bipedals mercilessly. You… you watch the birds. The butterflies. You drew a blanket over a body in the middle of the road, once. You only eat rodents, and only the ones that are almost already dead. You…” he stands, taking a step closer to me. “You are kind. Compassionate. And I think, as much as you don’t want to admit it, that you will not kill me.”


I watch him as he stares at me. He reminds me of her. My Compatriot. The kind blue eyes… the gentle voice… there is good there.


A good that I have missed very, very much.


I slowly walk towards him. I hear his heart beat faster. And then, when I am only inches away, I gently press my nose to his.


The moment lasts an eternity. And then it is over.


I step back.


“It’s about time you arrived,” I say, smiling. “I am ravenous.” And we walk towards the rabbits and share our first––and far from last––meal. Together.

September 18, 2020 17:07

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.