3 comments

Coming of Age Contemporary Fiction

Eliza entered the living room. A place she normally avoided. But this was important. “Mom, may I go to the dance Friday evening. I did everything you wanted done. The oven is clean. So is the refrigerator. And the bathrooms. I scrubbed all the floors, vacuumed, dusted and all the other things on the list.” 

Eliza waited for her mother to answer. She needed to keep her end of the bargain.

“No.” The one word, without her ever looking up at Eliza, felt like a asteroid had blasted into her. 

“You promised if I did everything I could go.”

“I said no.”

“Why?”

Her mother raised her head, eyes like lasers drilling into her. “Because I said so.”

Discussion over. Defeat spilled over, sending her hope spinning into oblivion. Should have known. Always the same answer.

At sixteen Eliza expected to have some freedom. But no, she wasn’t allowed to participate in any activities beyond her classes. That included choir, band, or any club. She wasn’t even allowed to go to the library to study. The only thing she was allowed out to do was to go to school, and that came about when social services insisted she be in school to learn socialization skills.

No matter what she wanted to do, if it involved money or going out, the answer was a resounding no. At home, her mother insisted she stay in her room other than for meals. That meant she was a prisoner in her own home.

Pivoting, Eliza left her mother and went to her room and turned on her music loud enough that her mother couldn’t hear anything else. She put the sign on her door that read, “No, I don’t want food. No I don’t want to talk. I want to be left alone.”

The sign was her push back at her mother. Since she wasn’t allowed in the rest of the house, her mother wasn’t allowed in her room without her permission. Like her mother, she always said no.

Eliza plopped down on the bed. No matter what her mother’s reasoning, there wasn’t a good excuse to keep her locked in the house. Time to become that rebellious teen.

She was prepared for the worst. If her mother threw her out, she had money. Money she had pilfered from her mother over the past then years in ten to twenty dollar increments every week. That was the allowance her mother wouldn’t give her for being the house slave without even a thank you for doing all the dirty work. 

Elia didn’t feel guilty. That five thousand was earned. Every last penny.

The illusion of her mother caring about her disappeared when she was five and was locked in her room for being too noisy. Same with the missing father who left and never bothered to come see her or call her or even acknowledge she was alive. Neither one of them wanted her in their life.

Friday evening, her mother stopped her when she entered the house from school. “I want to you stay in your room tonight. I have company coming over and the last thing I need is you messing it up.”

“May I get something to eat?” 

Eliza didn’t think her mother was going to answer. “Fix a sandwich and take it to your room. Do not come back downstairs, understand?”

She made her sandwich and swiped a small bag of potato chips, a soda and three bottles of water before going to her room. She turned on her music then put her sign out to leave her alone before closing the door and doing a fist pump.  School dance, here I come. 

Her mother wouldn’t notice her leaving or coming back. She’d be too busy. And going up and down the trellis was easy and wouldn’t make any noise.

Eliza was dressed and on her way to the school by six, climbing down the trellis she had made sure was sturdy and well anchored to the house for this very reason. The plan to sneak out and do things she finalized several years ago. She even tested the route while fixing the trellis over the years, surprised her mother didn’t catch on to what she was doing when she took it to just below her bedroom window. 

Alicia and Destiny were waiting on her at the corner. She had told them she was attending the dance that afternoon in school, already planning her escape.

“Wow. Your mother actually let you come,” Alicia said before giving her a hug. 

“I guess she felt guilty after all the work I did around the house. I do have a curfew, so let’s go and have some fun while I’m out of my cage.” That was how Eliza saw her room. A cage where her mother put her so she didn’t have to deal with her. 

They entered the gym, giggling over a comment Destiny had given on the most popular girl in their class. Mr. Watson frowned when he noticed her. “Does your mother know you’re here?”

Eliza sent him a bright smile that hid her trembling insides. “Of course she does. She said if I didn’t get into any trouble she’d think about allowing me to do more things.”

“Alrighty then. Have fun.”

Riley joined them. “Great. Everyone’s here. Let’s go and show the others how to dance.”

The four friends joined the other dancers. For Eliza, it was like being in gym class. Their teacher used dance for exercise, saying it was better than a lot of the standard exercises. Dancercise was how she stayed in shape in while caged in her room. 

By the end of the first dance, Riley and Alicia left them to dance with Declan and Cash, their boyfriends. She and Destiny continued to dance together, having fun. 

Jason, Destiny’s boyfriend showed up and she went with him, leaving Eliza alone. Unwilling to dance by herself, she got some food and punch and sat at one of the small tables by herself. 

Maybe this wasn’t such a good idea. She forgot they had boyfriends. 

She pushed the thought away and began to nibble on a sandwich, eyes down to avoid seeing the others laughing at her. 

“May I sit with you?”

Eliza’s head popped up. Regis. Her crush. Not that he knew it.

“Sure,” she said with a slight shrug hoping the heat going over her face didn’t turn it red.

“I haven’t seen you at any of the dances before.”

“Mother issues. Got a pass for the evening, then it’s back to jail.”

Regis sighed. “I get it. I’m not allowed out much either.”

Eliza stared at him trying to wrap her mind around his words. The most popular boy in school was on a short leash too? “So you don’t go to everything?”

“Nah. I study a lot and spend a lot of time wishing I could. Then again, I’d probably not get good grades if I did.”

“Same here. Being stuck at home does make studying more inviting, especially if you aren’t allowed to watch TV.”

“Or don’t have a phone.”

“You don’t have a phone either?” Now her face had to be red from blurting out stupid stuff.

“I’d have to pay for the phone and the monthly charges. I have better places to put my money.”

“Mama said a cell phone was a total waste when you see the people you’d be calling every day.”

“You have a computer and internet, right?”

“Sure. I do my homework on it.”

“Email?”

“Of course.”

“Give me your email address.”

Eliza rattled it off and he wrote it down. He then wrote something on a piece of the paper, tore it off and handed it to her. It was his email address.

“I wanted to ask you out a while back, but Declan said you weren’t allowed to date.”

Eliza bent the truth. “Normally I’m not allowed out. This was earned with three weeks of hard labor.” He didn’t need to know her mother still said no and she snuck out.

“In that case, let’s not waste a perfectly good dance sitting on the sidelines.”

Eliza joined him on the dance floor. A few songs later, she joined him in her first slow dance. It was a heady feeling, but she had plans and getting in trouble with a boy wasn’t one of them. 

They spent the rest of the evening dancing. At the end of the dance, he walked her to the corner where they would go different directions. He gave her a hug and kissed her forehead. “I hope we can repeat this again sometime in the future. I’ll let you know the next time I can get out.”

“Sounds good.”

“See you Monday.”

“Right.”

The three girls joined her when Regis strode off into the dark. Riley said, “Like, wow. Regis?”

“He saw me sitting alone and asked me to dance.”

Destiny turned to Eliza. “You do know that his parents won’t let him go out.”

Eliza couldn’t hold back a giggle. “And my mother does what?”

Destiny’s mouth formed an O. The other two laughed. Alicia put her arm around Eliza’s waist. “I'm guessing we won’t see you again for a while. You and Regis will be good together—prisoners with leave for only a few hours.”

“You got that right.” Maybe being a prisoner wouldn’t be so bad if she had a friend to talk to so she didn’t feel so isolated.

The next morning, Eliza signed onto her computer and checked her email. There was an email from Regis. “Had a great time last night. Guessing you’re like me and need a friend who understands. Need to let you know I snuck out to go to the dance. Wanted to go to at least one dance this year. Just means I can’t do it but once or twice a year.”

Wow. They were more alike than she had guessed.

She sent back, “Go to messenger on FB. Lizadoolittle10. Friend me.”

A few minutes later, she saw Regomatic25. She accepted his friend request. “Hi. Now we can talk real time.”

He sent an emoji happy face.

She typed, “I also left without permission last night. After doing all her dirty work, I felt I earned the right to go like she promised. Like you, don’t want to get caught.”

“Just what I need. Someone who isn’t going to go ballistic when I can’t take them places. Most girls won’t give me a chance because I can only see them in school.”

“Good with that,” Eliza typed back. “Just want a friend who won’t forget I exist.”

“I won’t forget you exist or that beautiful smile.”

She now had a friend who would talk to her online when not in school. Riley, Alicia, and Destiny would include her in school, but since she didn’t have a cell phone, they forgot about her on the weekends and breaks and the summer. Regis wouldn’t. 

By the end of the month, she and Regis were considered a couple. Not that they saw each other outside of school. They did meet frequently during school hours and studied together in the library every chance they got. 

They became closer friends with their talks on messenger. On the weekends, Eliza would turn up her music. She would then put in earphones and talk to him through messenger. It was a way of being together and not leaving the house.

The day they announced the prom at school, Regis joined her for lunch. His first words to her were, “Will you go to the prom with me?”

A warm bubble of happiness welled up only to pop with a cold dash of reality. “I’m positive Mama won’t give me permission to go.”

He took her hand and smiled. “I’m not asking this time. I’m telling them that I have a date for the prom and am going with or without their permission and that I’ll be home by midnight after I make sure my date is home safe.”

“And you think they will…?”

“Be pissed and nasty for a few weeks, but they’ll get over it.”

“In that case, I’ll do the same with Mama. I’ll tell her I have a date for the prom and am going whether she likes it or not and will be home within a half hour after the prom ends.”

“So you’re going with me?”

“Yes. Even if I have to sneak out.”

“I can hardly wait. See you in the library for sixth period.” He took off with a big grin on his face. 

Alicia joined her. “What’s Regis so happy about?”

“I’m going to the prom with him.”

“Really? But…”

“I’m telling my mother I’m no longer her prisoner. I’m going to the prom with Regis and will be home around eleven thirty whether she likes it or not.”

“Good for you.” Alicia stirred her food before asking, “What will you do if she throws you out?”

“Covered. I’ll become an independent minor. I have a job if I want it. I also have a full scholarship with a part time job at the university I want to attend.”

“You sure you can handle a job and school?”

“Positive.” Eliza would do whatever it took to get her degree and a good job. 

When Eliza got home from school, her mother was in the living room. No time like now to let her mother know that about the prom.

Before she could speak, her mother raised her head. The icy blue eyes pinned Eliza to the floor. “I hear you’re going to the prom with Regis Wilson.” 

Eliza ignored the underlying angry dare in her mother’s voice. “I am. That’s the reason I wanted to talk to you.”

“Talk.”

“First of all, I’m seventeen and graduating in a month. You’ve taught me right and wrong where boys are concerned. I know Regis will be a gentleman. As of today, I’ll no longer ask your permission to go anywhere. What I will do is let you know where I’ll be and when I’ll be home. It’s past time for me to have a normal teen life.”

She didn’t look away from her mother’s angry glare. “You have refused to give me a reason why you’ve kept me a prisoner in this house. Telling me because you said no is no longer a valid answer.”

The hateful look on her mother’s face sent Eliza back a step. “You can leave any time you want, but if you come home knocked up, don’t look for any help or sympathy from me.”

“Why?” Eliza asked, needing to know the reason for her anger.

“I made the mistake of getting drunk during my prom. None of us remembered what happened that night. I married my date a month later.

“But you didn’t love him.”

“Wrong. I did. I believed it was him I was with that night. Instead it was his best friend.”

“So you refused to let me out to make the same mistake.”

Her mother didn’t answer.

Eliza now understood. Her father wasn’t her father. His best friend was. Neither man wanted anything to do with her.

“It wasn’t my fault your husband left you. You needn’t worry about me repeating your mistake. I don’t drink. Regis and I both have plans to complete our education. If we stay together, great. If we don’t, I had the experience of being with a man who understands me and is my best friend. Like me, his parents haven’t allowed him out.”

“And he’s doing like you are, telling them he’s taking you to the prom.”

“He is. I love you mom, but I’ll not be that obedient little girl any longer. I need the freedom to learn how to make my own choices.”

She pivoted and left the room. Hopefully her mother understood that she didn’t want to the freedom to run wild—just enough to go to the prom and maybe meet Regis for a pizza or a movie once a month. Her future didn’t include having a baby until she had her education completed and a decent job. Regis felt the same away.

Four years later

Eliza met Regis’s gaze from the doorway. The the wedding march sent excitement zinging through her. She walked down the aisle of the small chapel without an escort in a gown of white. Even though there was only a handful of people there, she wanted the white gown, symbolizing her virginity and love for the man she was marrying. 

For four long years, they went to school and studied while remaining in contact via the internet. During breaks they did fun the fun things best friends did, enjoying being together in person.

Regis asked her to marry him the summer before their senior year. When she said yes, they planned the wedding for the week after they graduated.

She was marrying her best friend. Her mother and his parents refused to attend the wedding, still angry at their rebellion against them. Neither she or Regis cared. Their parents were the ones who would end up losing the most by not seeing them or the children they would have. 

By her mother forbidding her to go to that one dance and her having planned her escape long before she used it, she met her soul mate. Today, they were showing the world the love they had found. Sometimes being forbidden to do things and breaking the rules did have a happy ending.

October 22, 2021 00:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Iyna H
05:55 Nov 05, 2023

I really enjoyed reading this story. It hits a little too close to home. For me I had a best friend who we were both prisoners in our own homes so I understand all to well. "Discussion over. Defeat spilled over, sending her hope spinning into oblivion. Should have known. Always the same answer." This description was too perfect. You conveyed how Eliza felt in that moment without using too much words. The story had a great flow to it, and it was easy to read. Jumping into the future to 4 years later caught me off guard as i was so investe...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Wally Schmidt
20:44 Mar 21, 2023

My goodness-what a story! There seem to be quiet a few of these on Reedsy with the theme of the parents holding the child prisoner in their own home in order to protect them from some unexpressed evil. It breaks my heart and is so different from my own childhood. My parents raised us with this philosophy "Raise your kids to be the kind of adults you want to spend time with." And they did. And we do. There is a lot of mutual respect and love between us and I wish everyone could experience that. On the flip side, I am sure Eliza and Regis forg...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Roger Davis
05:04 Oct 29, 2021

Maybe their parents will want to see their grandchildren?

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.