31 comments

Fantasy Horror Mystery

This story contains sensitive content

**WARNING** Contains themes of violence; disturbing images.


Amen. 


That’s how it always begins. I say a silent prayer, then lean over to kiss Brad, my husband, good night. Before I can turn around to turn off the light, Brad takes my face in his hands, looks deeply into my eyes, and then kisses me, fully and deliberately.  


We haven’t made love since the baby.


Something grips me in that moment. I hadn’t known how it would be, had become timid and slightly removed, anxious around my husband. Now, recognizing the urgency coming from Brad’s embrace, the hunger, it transfers its energy to me. I am ready. I gasp as I pour myself into him, all of my senses honed in on being a woman . . .


Then the baby begins to wail.


Uhm, make that a mother.


* * *


Now, this is when things get interesting. As I wrestle myself away from Brad and try to catch my breath, the baby wailing in the background, I hear the dog, King, bounding up the stairs outside our closed door. Brad, meanwhile, flips away from me in a huff and punches his pillow.


“I know. I’m sorry. I’ll be back as soon as . . .” I roll out of bed, pull my tee-shirt down. “Soon.”


I race to the door and, as I open it, King knocks me down with a crash, as his sweeping Burmese Mountain Dog tail knocks the lamp off my nightstand.


“KING!” I scream at him. The baby wails louder. King looks baffled, cocks his head at me, then jumps up onto my side of the bed.


“Get down, King!”


Once I’m back up, I notice I walk with a limp, but I hobble my way hurriedly into little Tess’s room.  She’s on her back, arms and legs stiff with fury, her face the color of a boiled beet.


I pick her up and hold her as I make my way to the rocking chair in the corner.  As I pull up my shirt and Tess latches, she exhales and so do I. 


I can hear the hallway clock ticking.


Then I hear a click that sounds like the front door. But it can’t be. We have an alarm system.


“Brad?”


He’s probably asleep. Damn! I cradle Tess as I get up. My tee-shirt falls as I hobble to our bedroom. I can hear the front door open and now there are footsteps.


“Brad!” I hiss.


Both Brad and King are sound asleep in our bed. Most of the lamp pieces I see have been swept under the bed. 


“Brad! Get up!” I hiss again.


King’s eyes fly open and he’s instantly up, barking. He jumps from the bed, toenails scratching the wood floor as he scrambles to make the turn to dash out of the room and down the stairs.


Meantime, Brad’s up and takes long strides to the door.


“You and Tess stay here. . .”


We both hear King yelp, followed by a thud.


Brad and I exchange looks filled with horror. Brad quickly goes to his side of the closet, pulls out a shoebox. Oh Lord, I think, I hate that thing. This is so not good, so not at all good!


Brad looks me square in the eye, then glances at Tess, tucked under my shirt.


“Get to the bathroom. Lock the door!”


As quickly as I can, I take Tess into our bathroom and lock the door behind me. I hear Brad.


“I have a gun! Who’s there?”


Oh, shit, I think. 911! Where’s my phone?


It’s on the nightstand. I begin to go for the door and then remember I have Tess. My ankle feels bad; I don’t want to look at it. Instead, I look around, grab towels and, with one hand, line the bathtub so I have a place to lay my baby down.


When I lift my shirt, little Tess is sleeping, warm and angelic. 


As I gently place my baby into the tub, I whisper to her. “Sleep, little one. No harm will come to you, I promise.”  


Now, my cellphone.


I go to the door, listen. Nothing. I open the door slowly, carefully.

There on the floor is my cellphone. King must have knocked it there along with the lamp.


I scan the room. It’s quiet. I rush forward but my ankle betrays me. I yelp from pain, just as King did, and drop. My lower leg has ballooned.


“Here you are! You should know your husband is a terrible liar. He said he was alone, but I knew you’d be here. Oh, dear, have an accident?” 


I feel shock strike and spread through me like wildfire through a dry field of straw.  


I am facing a stranger dressed in black, nondescript except for one detail. He wears a Robin Hood mask, complete with green cap and shining grin. I fear the implication. 


“Who are you?”


“Oh, we knew you’d ask that. Don’t be boring.”


My mind races. Nothing comes but the crushing knowledge this could be the end. Think! Don’t do until you think! This is the most important moment of your life!


“Where is my husband? What do you want?”


“Two legitimate questions worthy of answers, I suppose. First, I’ll answer a question you haven’t asked but undoubtedly at some point will. When’s the last time you had your security checked? Well, I was able to do that for you. Too bad you’ve been preoccupied with other matters. You might have saved yourselves.


Now, what might you be willing to give me in exchange for that other information you asked about? And, frankly, you should be asking yourself, do you really want to know? I’d think about it, if I were you.” 


I turn off any feeling I might still possess. This is no time to feel. It will not serve. I begin to stand, then stop myself.


“May I?”


The intruder gestures, “Please.”


I struggle to stand, without grace. I bury my fear, set it aside. I need a mask.


“May I ask you a different question?”


The mask does not speak. It makes the same gesture as before.


“If you could have anything in the world, what would it be?”


I take a tentative, careful step forward.


“Well, now, girly-girl, if I expect payment for the answers to your first two questions; what makes you think I’d answer a third for free?”


“You think you know me? I’m not the girly-girl you might suppose. Take a dare, big man?”


In that instant, what I hope might happen, happens. I sense he is caught off-guard, distracted. I dive, ankle be damned, and grasp a shard of lamp under the bed and reach for the phone.


I crouch awkwardly, wielding the makeshift dagger as I prepare to attack this nightmare.


“Good for you, girly-girl. But not good enough.” 


The mask pulls out a pistol and aims it at my face.


My last conscious thought: Tess! 


* * *


Amen. 


How did I get back here? Shouldn’t I be dead? Am I dead?


There’s Brad. . . why is he looking at me like that?


“Vanessa? Are you all right?”


“I … I’ll be right back.”


I rush into the master bath and lock the door. What is happening? I look at myself in the mirror. 


“Nessa? Everything okay?”


“Be right out!”


I splash my face with cold water. I bury my face in a towel, then take a deep breath and open the door.


“You look pale. Let’s get you in bed.”


Instead, I sit on my side of the bed and pick up my cellphone to check the date. Shit. It’s the same time and date as it was then, yesterday.


Tess begins to wail.


Here comes King galloping up the stairs. I hear his heavy breath. Brad looks disappointed.


“Aren’t you going to . . .”


I glance towards Tess’s room, hear King scratching at the door. There’s no time to think.


“Uh, no. Brad, would you mind? I might be getting sick. There’s a bottle prepared that just needs warming.”


“Sure. How long do I zap it?”


“You don’t. Warm water, no more than ten minutes.”


“All right.”


“Careful. King’s right outside the door.”


“Yeah, right.”


Brad opens the door a crack, King does the rest. The door flies open and, with a bang, hits the wall, missing Brad by inches. We hear an accompanying sound of something above us hitting the attic floor. That’s happened a lot lately.


Brad shakes his head, then leaves to tend to our screaming Tess.

After I hear him gather the baby and pad downstairs, I allow King to follow them.


Then I dial 911.


“911 Operator. What’s your emergency?”


“Send someone to 1220 Sycamore. Now!”


“What’s happening over there, ma’am?”


“It’s going to happen. We need help!”


“What’s going to happen, ma’am?”


“I don’t have time to explain. Please, send someone quick! Now!”


“What is your name?”


“What does . . . Vanessa Richardson. 1220 Sycamore!”


“How do you spell that?”


“Are the police on their way?”


“Ma’am, listen! Spell your name, please.”


That’s when I hear the familiar click of the front door.


“THEY’RE HERE, BITCH! GET SOMEONE OVER HERE NOW!”


I’m in tee-shirt and boxers with no pockets so I put my phone down and run to the staircase.


“Brad, run out the back with Tess! NOW!”


King starts barking and rushes the front door. Maybe that will deter them.  I hear Brad’s voice.


“King! What’s . . .”


“Brad, run! Go, get out. . .”


Just then the front door opens a crack and a hand drops a piece of something that smacks when it hits the floor. Meat?


King, no!


Just as I think it, King is on it.  


Yelp. Thud.


By this time, I can only hope Brad and Tess have gone out the back door and have gotten away.


I grab my phone and run to the bathroom, lock the door behind me. Again, I dial 911.


“911 Operator. What’s your . . .”


“They’re here. Send someone now. 1220 Sycamore.”


“Your name, please?”


I grit my teeth, trying to keep my voice steady and low.


“Vanessa R-I-C-H-A-R-D-S-O-N.”


“Was that two S’s?”


Just then, the lock is blown out with a PING-PING. Wood flies and I drop my phone.


“Come out, come out, wherever you are.”


I’m on the floor, my teeth clamped so hard, they hurt.


“I could come in there and get you, but I don’t think you’d like it.”


I feel tears pour down my face as I slowly pull myself up. What now?


The door is already open a crack and I give it a small pull and then stand in the doorway.


“Is someone having a bad night? Tsk.”


I look to see a figure dressed all in black but this one is wearing a Mother Goose mask. Somehow, this terrifies me more.


“Where’s . . .”


“Where’s who, girly-girl? My partner? He’s tending to other business. Now, if you mean some man that was running outside holding some sort of package?”


“NO!”


I rush at the intruder in a fit of uncontrollable rage.  As I reach out to grab him, I fly back in slow motion. I feel nothing but I hear an explosion. The light fades.


* * *


Amen.


Holy shit, holy shit, holy shit. Think, think, think.


Brad is looking at me and I know what he’s thinking. I turn to him and let loose.


“Brad, listen to me. You have to believe me. Something is happening, some kind of warp or time loop I can’t control. We have to act. Fast. Two, at least two intruders are coming to kill us, all of us! I’ve been reliving the same thing night after night and it’s always the same! I need you to believe me, Brad. Brad?”


I can see he doesn’t believe me. 

“Please, Brad. We have to get out! Now! I’ll get Tess, you get King and start the car. There’s no time! Go! Believe me, Brad. We’re all going to die if we don’t! I’m getting Tess and I’ll meet you outside.”


“Now, honey. Vanessa, calm down. Think this through.”


I’m standing now. Tess will soon begin to cry and it’ll start all over again!


“NOW! IT HAS TO BE NOW! DON’T YOU GET IT? WE HAVE TO GO!”


Tess begins to wail. King begins to bark.


Shit.


I go to the door and throw it open, standing back. King charges in. I run out.


“Come on, baby. We have to go.”


“No, Vanessa. We’re not going anywhere.”


“Brad? What . . .”


“The doctor warned us, remember? I want you to relax and take one of these. I’ll take care of Tess.”


“No! You don’t understand!”


“Nessa, you’re not in your right mind. Come with me, sweetheart. Everything’s going to be all right.”


With Tess screaming and King barking, I can’t hear the front door! I bow my head and walk towards Brad.


Then I make a run for it. He tries to grab me but I just manage to escape his grasp. In so doing, I fall down the stairs, landing at the bottom in a heap. I try to get up.


Just then, the front door springs open.


* * *


Amen.


I grab my head. I am so completely alone in this and I don’t know what “this” is!


No more thinking. Time for action. Thinking hasn’t gotten me anywhere.


I get out of bed and go to the closet.


“Nessa? What are you doing? Come to bed.”


“In a minute.” I try to sound normal.


I slide open the closet doors, reach for the shoebox.


“What are you . . .”


“I thought my wedding shoes were in here. I just want to check.”


Liar.


I kneel in front of the closet and open the box. The gun and the clip lay side by side. I try not to make it obvious what I’m doing until I jam the chamber into place with a loud clack.


“Vanessa, what the hell?”


I get up holding the gun down with both hands.


“Stay there, Brad. I have something I . . .”


“Give me that! You don’t know how to handle . . .”


I’m at my wit's end. Done.


“Just fucking stay back, Brad! Trust me!”


Tess cries out. Brad is out of bed now. I hate how he looks at me.


“Give me the gun, Vanessa.”


Before he can reach me, I get to the door, open it and jump back. King bounds into the room and blocks Brad’s way.


Between Tess’s wails, I hear the front door.  I don’t have much time. Brad is still facing King.


“I’m so sorry,” I say as I bring the butt of the gun down on Brad’s head. As he falls, I shut the bedroom door before King can reach me.   


I fly down the stairs and slip behind the front door just as it cracks open.  Two dark figures enter the foyer slowly, looking up the stairs towards the commotion.


“What. . .” one of them begins.


“Look who’s having a bad night now,” I growl. 


I fire until the gun empties. 


There’s something else I do.  


I remove their masks.   


* * *


Amen.


Yes, amen.


“Brad? I forgot I have to do something. Would you listen for Tess? I’ll be right back.”


“What is it?”


“Nothing, really. Wait for me?”


Liar.


I tip-toe out and close the bedroom door behind me. I pass Tess’s room and see her begin to stir.


At the end of the hallway is the entrance to the attic. I pull the cord that brings down the stairs. I flip the switch to turn on the attic lights and climb.


The attic is a musty enclosure of bare wood and artifacts belonging to generations of a family. A resolve deep within me ignites. This is my family being threatened. Enough.


I survey the area. I see dusty trunks, boxes taped and labeled, antique furniture no longer in fashion, tea sets retired from everyday use, covered with plastic. 


I am in a graveyard of past things whose owners have moved on. Nostalgia is what I should feel but, instead, I am filled with resentment and a need to destroy that which seeks to destroy me and mine.


My attention is drawn to a bureau that once belonged to a great aunt I never met. It has a mirror affixed to it that has always had pictures tucked into the frame. I walk over to it and draw a sharp breath. 


There is a jagged crack down the center of the mirror that is new. There is the picture I remember of a tiny coffin of a stillborn baby, a common way in those days to commemorate the dead. 


Realization dawns as, when I look at a picture of my great aunt, I see one of the intruders. She is seated next to a man who has his hand placed over hers. He is the other. Both look grim, and I shudder.


“What do you want?” I whisper. 


I begin opening drawers. There must be something here. My foot touches something partially exposed beneath the bureau, perhaps one of the items that we could hear fall from the floor below.


It is a photograph of the dead child, also cracked. I glance at my great aunt and am overcome with compassion.


I carefully, reverently, remove the picture from the damaged frame and place it over my heart.


“I’ll take care of her,” I whisper.


* * *


As I climb down the stairs and push the attic door up and back into place, I turn to see King guarding Tess’s room. His tail pounds an ecstatic greeting.


I pat his loyal head as I enter the nursery. As Brad rocks our Tess with bottle in hand, four beautiful eyes look up.


“Everything under control?”


I smile.


“Sure. Whatever that is.”


April 05, 2023 20:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

31 comments

Graham Kinross
06:06 May 23, 2023

Great story. Beautifully written.

Reply

Susan Catucci
13:24 May 23, 2023

This means so much, Graham, coming from you; I've admired your writing for some time now. I always appreciate feedback and encouragement so this was a welcome sight this morning. Thank you!

Reply

Graham Kinross
22:02 May 23, 2023

You’re welcome.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Laurel Hanson
14:10 Apr 14, 2023

Grippingly written and intriguing. I like when she says she needs a mask to hide her fear, mirroring the mask worn by the intruder. Besides the looping, there are layers to what is going on that generate a lot of tension. Skillful.

Reply

Susan Catucci
14:45 Apr 14, 2023

YAY! Thanks, Laurel - praise from you means so much! Makes my day!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kevin Banks
09:24 Apr 14, 2023

Liked most of the story, it's seemed great up until the last bit, I didn't quite understand the relevance of the 2 masks and the dead baby picture stopping the intruders.. but I enjoyed the cycle and you really captured the terror she felt, all in all really good

Reply

Susan Catucci
14:47 Apr 14, 2023

Thanks for reading and the comment, Kevin. I can certainly understand some confusion with a limit how many words can be used. I'm sure more explanation would be helpful. I'm glad you enjoyed it for the most part though. Thanks again.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Suma Jayachandar
07:05 Apr 13, 2023

Ooh Susan! This piece hits all the right notes to deliver a perfect horror. Well, an atticful of horror if you please- because with each section, my heart kept bobbing up and down between my stomach and throat, again and again. Brilliant concept and flawless execution. Kudos to you, my friend. Best of luck!

Reply

Susan Catucci
13:40 Apr 13, 2023

How wonderful, Suma! I'm thrilled you enjoyed it. Your thoughts carry a lot of weight and this means everything. Thank you, thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amy Nwanganga
00:15 Apr 12, 2023

This is really great! It reminds me of a game I think is called "12 Minutes". It is almost like this, I love the urgency and cliffhanger too.

Reply

Susan Catucci
16:22 Apr 12, 2023

Thanks for the feedback, Amy, I appreciate it. This was a real adventure to put together. I'm really glad you liked it. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Russell Mickler
16:27 Apr 09, 2023

Hi Susan - Grin - a very relatable, _human_ beginning, that quickly turns suspenseful! I liked the alternative timelines, variable events, and differing masks, offering a different perspective on the event. You know, if my partner looked at me and said, “I’m in a time loop,” I’d totally take them seriously :) Like, why else would they say that? That's just me though ... I liked how you kept the reader guessing through the piece, moving between a criminal event and a mental psychosis to a ghost story. Even at the end, I’m not at all ...

Reply

Susan Catucci
18:56 Apr 09, 2023

Thanks, Russell - I appreciated your describing it as a "criminal event and a mental psychosis to a ghost story." It's interesting to me because I had a clear vision what was happening and why, but when I listen to the reader's perspective, I begin to see the other possibilities, totally feasible and great to hear. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jack Kimball
17:50 Apr 07, 2023

A real "Get Out!" feel to it, which is not easy to do, so great job Susan. Also deserves accolades for the obvious amount of work to get the flow to work with the plot. I vote for a 'win'!

Reply

Susan Catucci
19:26 Apr 07, 2023

That's a wonderful thing to say, Jack. This one is special, and I'm so glad you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Delbert Griffith
11:04 Apr 07, 2023

The terror was visceral, palpable, real. My heart raced when I read this, and it didn't stop until the culprits were full of bullet holes - and then there's more to come! Splendid work, Susan. As usual. I know how difficult this was to get it to where it is now, but the results speak for themselves. The story is multi-faceted and works on different levels: emotional, philosophical, spiritual. A masterful and poignant piece, my friend. I still feel the chills from the time loop and the helplessness that the MC feels. Great, great work, Susa...

Reply

Susan Catucci
11:41 Apr 07, 2023

I don't need to say it, Del, you already know what this one means and, without the assistance of a trusted, valued resource, it wouldn't be what it is. It's true, the journey getting this where it is was tricky but worth every effort. Cheers back! I'm gonna havta face it, I'm addicted to Reedsy. :)

Reply

Delbert Griffith
11:51 Apr 07, 2023

We will share the addiction, my friend. I don't think Reedsy loves me back, but unrequited love builds character, right? LOL Keep on writing those fabulous tales, Susan. I'll keep on reading them. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
20:36 Apr 06, 2023

Holy! What a ride! It starts so mundanely, and then things get cranked right to 11. "Now, this is when things get interesting." Indeed! Suddenly things are super tense, the stakes have skyrocketed - and we're not even done yet, because *then* we hit the loop. Love it. Fantastic tense horror. The intruders definitely seemed off too, like they knew too much, but I get the sense even they were caught unawares by the loop. Jealous, murderous ancestors - a terrible thing to be haunted by. Of course, there's some doubt if any of it really ...

Reply

Susan Catucci
21:36 Apr 06, 2023

I couldn't be more pleased than to get your mind racing, Michal. This was intended as a shake-up out-of-body experience but, in the end, it all boils down to love. A blessing and a curse. And, hopefully ultimately, a ride worth taking. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
18:42 Apr 06, 2023

Oh this is good. Scratch that. Oh THIS IS GREAT. Amen, amen, and amen -- the perfect way to segue between the alternative realities. But let's talk about your spot-on verisimilitude. The opening paragraphs drew me in. I know Tess. Heck, I was Tess...husband, baby, dog. All relatable. Domestic sitch. Then WHAM. Ordinary becomes unordinary then extraordinary. Pacing was perfect. Characterization artfully executed. For me? This is truly the scariest line: “Was that two S’s?”

Reply

Susan Catucci
19:23 Apr 06, 2023

I'm so glad you noticed that line about two S's; it's pretty much a death knell at that point. Someone once asked me what my favorite genre to write was and I couldn't say anything that really stood out - until this one. This is what I love! A warp that works. I have been fretting that it might not. Your feedback means everything!

Reply

19:37 Apr 06, 2023

This is my kinda story!!! Just want I wanted to read. Relatable. Energetic. Smart. And...deceptively simple (with an iceberg of depth) -- I know the dozens and dozens of hours you've put into this piece to make it so seamless. So crack-a-lackin'.

Reply

Susan Catucci
19:56 Apr 06, 2023

I've been called a lot of things, but crack-a-lackin' is a stand-out distinction I'll treasure always. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Viga Boland
16:16 Apr 06, 2023

You know what Susan? You sure know how to keep a reader reading. I almost felt like your protagonist on the treadmill, dying to find out where it would all end up, and as you always do, you wrapped it up perfectly. I love that you break stories up into short paragraphs. So much easier on the eyes than long ones. I’m surprised you described this piece to Lily as “gruelling”. You make it seem so easy. But then, that’s the sign of excellence in so many things. When my daughters were both in competitive swimming, we were often struck by how ea...

Reply

Susan Catucci
17:04 Apr 06, 2023

Indeed, Viga, anything done with love in the mix tends to turn out well. I really cared about this one and I'm so pleased you enjoyed it. (The is the shallow me talking: When you said you liked the story, did you like the story or did you "like" it? ) Thanks, Viga! :)

Reply

Viga Boland
17:13 Apr 06, 2023

Both 😉

Reply

Susan Catucci
17:39 Apr 06, 2023

Hahaha - thanks for putting up with me, Viga!

Reply

Viga Boland
17:46 Apr 06, 2023

We’re all the same…looking for “likes”, hoping to be shortlisted, but above all hoping that we and our stories are liked…even loved. 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Lily Finch
22:57 Apr 05, 2023

Susan. I admire the brilliance you demonstrated with your take on the prompt. The parallelism was nicely done. The exception to the rule was of course Tess. The descriptions and the retelling of the story and how Vanessa approached each time differently with Brad: Finally deciding to take matters into her hands to stop the cycle. A family with so many similarities. The reveal of Nessa being mentally ill-seeing and hearing things that nobody else can-was a great enhancement to your plot and her character development. It showed an awful l...

Reply

Susan Catucci
00:01 Apr 06, 2023

Thanks again, Lily, for welcome feedback. This one was grueling, because I cared so much about it. I cared about each of the characters involved and just hoped, in the end, it might work. The human condition can be such a fragile, desperate thing and I wanted to showcase strength and survival. So appreciate your input.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.