0 comments

Adventure Suspense Coming of Age

Third Person POV 

The people of Trinity square were squabbling through the streets. Swarms of bodies crowding about, bumping and juggling about. The smell of fried food and sickly sweet desserts wafted through the air, colliding the flavor of sweet and savory. Merchants shouted from their stands, advertising spices and clothes, banging on drums or playing flutes for people's attention. 

In the corner, a few rows back from the hustle and bustle. There was a quaint stand, with colorful beads and clothes hanging from every banister. People were sparse back here, though it wasn't entirely impossible. The merchant of the stand, was resting just in front, her arms draped around the counter that was laid out from a window. Her door was left open, letting the evening breeze through the hut, leaving the assortment of decorations rattling. 

A sign was hung over the door, reading CECILE'S FORTUNES. The owner, Cecile began to wander back inside letting the door close behind her. It had been a slow week, evident by the food boxes still on the counter, and the dust resting on the fortune ball. A crimson curtain was placed upon another entry way, and a desk was placed just a few feet from the door. 

Cecile jumped as the bell jingled, and rushed to look presentable. In walked two people, falling over each other, with their arms intertwined, and smiles plastering their faces. The lovers traced the cloth decorating the walls, and the carpet layering the floor. 

“Welcome to Cecile’s Fortunes! What can I help you with?” Cecile asked, as the customers approached her. They seemed so curious, and innocent, a perfect way to gut out a few dollars. 

“We’re here for our fortune telling,” the lady explained, squeezing her partner's hand. Before ogling at the beads dangling from the ceiling, they both looked entranced by the dazzling display. 

“Well you aren’t here for a burger,” I whispered, my patience was running thin,  but there were only customers for days. I reached to grab the ‘magic’ ball. In all honesty, it was an old fish bowl that had been bedazzled to my liking. 

“What did you say?” the guy asked, apparently not as out of it as imagined. 

“Oh, was just asking if you would like to go to the back room?” she replied, trying to hide my obvious mistake. The couple seemed to get more excited at the idea. 

“Oh my, is the back room better for the fortunes?” the girl pried, her eyes shot wider than the fortune ball itself. I shrugged, and went to the curtain. Revealing a room with a comfortable couch, a worn loveseat, and a wooden coffee table in the center. There was a bookshelf behind the armchair, billowing with books and small knick-knacks. 

The couple shifted to the loveseat, situating to their liking. They watched as Cecile  adjusted in my armchair, before placing the fortune ball on the table between them. The couple spilled over the object, gasping as the beads reflected their light into it. Cecile almost chuckled at the display, but a bite to the lip, and a swift reminder of an empty wallet shut the laughter down. 

“What would you like me to look at for your reading?” she asked, watching as the couple focused back to her. 

“The future of our relationship,” they blurted at the same time, giggling from the incident.

“What a surprise,” Cecile laughed, wrangling in her annoyed tone. Yet, the pair didn't notice, once again they were caught in each others eyes. She sighed, and managed to roll her eyes without their audience. “So, anything specific?” 

“Oh no, nothing special,” the girl responded. 

“Well I’ll do my best. Let’s get started,” she started, shifting to the front of her seat. The lovers mirrored me, smiles splitting their faces.

 Cecile made a show of twirling her hands over the delicate glass, and whispering meaningless words. The couple were grasping over every word, like a child mesmerized by fireworks. She leaned over the table, and took a deep breath, just before hitting a button hidden under her chair. 

Smoke filled the room, and green lights flashed through them. Gasps left the couple, grabbing onto each other as the room filled. Their eyes blown wide, attempting to look in every movement of the room. 

“Oh, dear Spirits of Trinity! Tell us their fate!” the teller bellowed, throwing her hands to the ceiling. Closing her eyes, and expressing dramatically. As the smoke faded, and the lights dimmed, the couple huddled next to each other. Looking dazed, and slightly star struck from the dramatic display. 

“What did they say?” the man asked cautiously, creeping closer to Cecile. Her hands were resting on the armchair handles, and she looked slightly tired. 

“The Spirits say this gift of your relationship will blossom within the coming months,” Cecile bellowed, causing the couple to rejoice in sheer enjoyment. Grasping onto each other, laughing in triumphant happiness. 

They were the perfect picture of a happy couple, a summer fling. Perfect, innocent, and so horribly naïve to the world. They exited the hut, throwing money behind them, which Cecile went to gather. 

“No way they last another week,’ Cecile muttered, making her way back into the vision room. She stared into space for a moment, letting the melancholy mood settle in. “Maybe tomorrow will be a better day.” 

Cecile went over to the bookshelf, trailing her hands over the classic novels. Her hand rested on a cerulean one, with gold emblems displayed on the spine, before pulling it towards her. The bookshelf rattled and shook, before sliding open to reveal a bedroom. 

The bedroom was cramped, with items scattering the floors, and dressers packed full. The bed was tucked in the far corner, which wasn’t much farther than a few feet. Shelves lined the walls, some laid books, others taken over by jars glowing with unknown particles. 

Cecile sat on the end of the tattered bed, grasping the money she had received. Smoothing out the edges, and folding into a tight square. She sighed, putting it into a half-full jar full of other miscellaneous forms of payment. 

The teller rested her hand on the jar, her eyes began to gleam with tears. 

“Tomorrow has to be a better day.” 

***

Cecile’s POV 

Burning pain isn’t usually a good thing to feel when you first wake up. Yet, my head was pounding, and my eyes felt like someone had driven a knife through my head. I trailed myself out of bed, letting the blankets fall to the ground. Opening the bookshelf door to make my way to the bathroom. The wooden floors felt freezing, the chill wasn’t helping my headache. 

The bathroom was one of the few rooms in the hut organized. With little boxes hidden under the sink, all held with my personal items. It had been necessary due to the lack of space, and money, for the customers and I to share. 

I pulled out my tiny container, filled with hair products, and dropped it on the counter. Just before my head gave a painful pang. Leaving me to rest my head in my hands, the steady thump rebounding through my skull. 

As it was dying down, steadying at a low thump. I looked toward the mirror. My dark face met me, with hollowed cheeks, and coiled hair framed my head. I met my own eyes, and jumped back to the wall. 

My eyes were green. 

Not emerald, or hazel, not even a dark juniper. 

From the tips that were meant to be white, to the very pupil.

They were sharp, poisonous, and lime green. 

I reached toward my face, scrambling for an answer. We’re there glasses, maybe a weird filter. But no, in the mirror my hands met my face. Nothing was getting caught, or snagged, it was just my face. 

My breath quickened, I felt like my heart was in my throat. Sweat dripped down my forehead, the headache worsened with painful pangs. Leaving me dazed, dizzy on the bathroom floor. I almost passed out with my condition, a knock came from the front door. 

“Cecile, I’m here for my reading!” a voice yelled from the door, and I sat bolt upright. Gracie was supposed to come today, she had a date later that evening. I was supposed to ‘read her  vision,’ which really meant to tell her good news and let her manifest it. She had known I was a fake since day one, yet she came back every week like clockwork. I thought of my work as giving people hope, just white lies to give people their spark. 

I battled with my options right now. I could stay here and let her get the hint to leave, or I could let her in and have her help. Yet, something about my state felt private, a personal matter. 

Then my eyes caught the sunglasses resting in one of the boxes. Maybe, if I was careful I could perform my work and get paid. After she was gone I could figure out the cause of this ‘problem’. 

“Coming!” I shouted, regretting my decision. My head was still ringing with pain, and my back seemed to be fighting with the wall. I shrugged myself up the wood, letting the wall support my weight. Grabbing the glasses, as I went to the door. Just for a moment I rested there, triple checking the glasses covering my eyes. 

Breathing deep, trying to the racing of my heart to settle, I went to open the door. 

“Finally, I’ve been waiting,” Gracie complained, after I had opened the door. She waltzed in, her imperfect air of confidence mingled around her. Gracie was tall, and dressed better than most in Trinity.  

For a moment, I stood there, feeling helpless. Gracie was looking around, furrowing about the food containers and carpet stains. I had barely noticed any change in the hut, though most times I was a bit more prepared for her visits.  Part of me wanted to push her out again, and lay in bed until the stars were shining through my windows. 

“Alright, I have a big ask this time.” Gracie fluttered around the room, making sure I was listening. “ I want you to see my future on my date.” 

Usually, on any other day, I would have said no. 

I could feel my fight leaving me, the adrenaline of the morning was catching up. The exhaustion, and sheer shock was enough to drive me to the ground. 

“Fine,” I muttered, wincing as Gracie shrieked with thrill. 

“Oh, thank you!” she exclaimed, pulled me toward the ‘vision’ room, and sat me in the respective chairs. Resuming the same posture I had been in with the couple from last night. I laid back, going into a muscle memory of questions and mannerisms. 

“Now, anything special?” I asked, making sure the sunglasses were still straight. 

“No, just read about my date,” she urged, scooting to the edge of her seat. 

“Alright,” I said, ready to get this over with. Maybe, if I was lucky, I could convince her the date was going to go amazing and she would leave early. I threw my hands in the air, just after clicking the button on my chair. “Oh dear Spirits of Trinity, tell me her fate!” 

Then something new happened, completely unexpected. As I closed my eyes, the room grew cold, and my head felt light. There was smoke swirling around my ears, then a blinding green flash. 

I saw Gracie, her arms entwined with her date. They were laughing, and I could feel the sheer delight radiating off them. The pair were walking down the bay, letting the wind blow past them. 

Then the vision fell, and the world returned. The lights were fading, and the headache returned. Gracie was sitting with her arms braced on her knees, no sign of knowing my inner turmoil. 

“So, what did you see?” she asked, her face plastering with hope. 

“Oh, uh, right. Well I saw you, and your date, laughing by the harbor,” I stuttered, and watched her jump with joy. 

“Yes, oh I knew you could do it,” she responded, bringing me into an awkward hug. “Here, for giving me exactly what I needed to hear.” 

Gracie left a twenty dollar bill in my lap, then she ran toward the door. I presumed to get ready for her date, then I was alone again. 

“What just happened?” I whispered to myself, the weight of the past few minutes rushed in. I could see the future, or maybe understand it. I was getting visions, real visions. Premonitions, happening, all inside my head. 

For a moment, I was terrified. What if I was dreaming, this was all some cruel joke. I had no power, or gift, this was all just happening inside my head. Then I felt the glasses slipping down my face, and raced to the bathroom. 

My hair products were still strewn on the counter, and my eyes were still green. I picked and pulled my face in the mirror, this wasn’t natural, yet that did deter me. Staring at my eyes, the sickening green persisted. I let myself breath for a moment, letting the past few hours mull over. 

Maybe, if I thought about this logically. I could see this to my advantage, maybe this could be a business opportunity. No more of that white lie sillenless, I could see real factual visions. Perhaps I might save people, or warn people of their impending doom. 

I would millions, billions if I branched out. Thinking of the money jar resting on my bedside table, I imagined it gushing with gems and jewels. I looked at myself one more time, straightening my posture, shoulders back. 

My green eyes sparking in the morning sun.

Maybe this was a new start. 

“Oh yes, today was a much better day.” 

January 08, 2022 02:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.