How do you like them apples

Submitted into Contest #63 in response to: Write about two characters going apple picking.... view prompt

1 comment

Friendship

She said it would be an adventure and a fun one at that.  If you thought climbing an unsteady ladder to pick an apple was a fun adventure.  Sure the apples were delicious and crisp.  It’s just I almost fell three times.   My friend Lucy had different ideas sometimes on what would be fun.  However I did make her go to that new bar and she hated bars.  Michelle seemed to be having fun, she was the type of person who could make anything fun.  Edith was sitting under a tree on her iPhone.  I knew this really wasn’t her thing.  I thought she might like to have a girls weekend.  

So far our girls weekend consisted of picking apples.  I was tired and sat down next to Edith,  she didn’t know I had sat down.  As usual she was watching football.  I knew she wished she was at the game, however it was too far for her to travel.   I didn’t say a word, I knew Edith would talk however I knew she really would prefer to watch the game.

Looking at me sitting next to her Edith smiled and turned her attention back to the game.  I pulled out my iPhone from my pocket and checked Facebook.  I had commented on this gorgeous man I had a crush on and I was hoping he would reply to it.  As usual he had clicked like.  He always liked my comments however rarely enough to make a comment.  I wonder if he did like the comments or he was just being nice.  

He ran a highly successful company and had a lot of Facebook followers.  He said he loved us as we gave him ideas on how well a product of his would do.  That’s how I met him,  well on line at least.  I bought one of his products and loved it so much I had to share my thoughts with the company.  I received a message from him thanking me for my feedback.  He mentioned a number of other product lines I may be interested in.  At first I thought it was just a sales pitch.  However, there was one item I was interested in.

Of course I purchased it.  Now I can’t do without it.  I was interested in the company and started to follow them on Facebook.  My crush was the owner, CEO and face of the operation.  I admired his drive for a man so young to have come this far.  

An apple hit my head and I let out a loud screech.   Edith looked over at me.  “I thought picking these things would be the death of me.” I told her as I rubbed the top of my head.

She laughed realising I was okay Edith turned her attention back to the game.  Lucy and Michelle came over.  “Apple hit me on the head,” I explained.

“I have had enough for today,” Lucy said.  “When you are all ready we can go back to the house.”

The house was an Airbnb and for the cost it was great value for money.  I couldn’t wait to take a long soak in the spa bath.  We were going to get some delicious food and sit in front of a warm fire.  Despite the weather being warm, it was known the nights could be cold.

We all made our way back to the car after purchasing some apple cider.   In the shop the smell of the cider filled the air and intoxicated me.  I had a taste and the moment it hit my taste buds they tingled with joy.  Each of us had all bought more than one bottle and I wondered if there would be any left for us to take home.

The car ride to our Airbnb was filled with laughter.  Even Edith took herself away from the game to joke around.  As the car pulled into the driveway we noticed another car there.  We thought it was most likely the hosts car.  Getting out my heart skipped a beat.  It was him, my crush.  “Hey I’m Matthew,  Lenas son.  Mum wanted to know if everything was to your liking.

Lucy, Michelle and Edith all looked at me.  They knew of my crush and had seen his picture.  “It’s lovely, better than expected,” I said still taken back that he was here.

“If there is anything you ladies need.”

Before I could speak Edith blurted out.  “You can take our friend here out for dinner.”

She put her arm around me and I had never felt so embarrassed in my life.  I was hoping the earth would open and take me whole. “What she means is um, that um can you tell me where a good place to go for dinner.”

He smiled at me, he was so much more handsome than I’d seen in photos.  “There are great places to eat.  I own a winery,  not far from here. We have a restaurant and cafe,” he told me.

“What about going to dinner at Matthews restaurant?”  I questioned.

“I’m exhausted,  just want to stay in,” Edith told me before walking inside the house.

“Me too,” Lucy said following Edith.

“I’m tired but you go,” Michelle said.

“I can’t go alone.” I said.  “Looks like we are staying in.”

“Now I don’t do this for every guest.  I want you to have a good time.  In short, what time do you want me to pick you up?”

My heart skipped a beat.  “Pick Carol up at 6,” Michelle told him just before walking inside.

“So Carol,” Matthew said.  “See you at 6.  I hope you are hungry. We have a great new menu.  Plus we have the best wine you will ever taste.”

“Looking forward to it,” I said, trying to contain my excitement.

As he left I walked into the house. My friends stood staring at me.  “So, I hear you have a date?  You know I thought this is meant to be a girls weekend, Lucy said trying to contain her laughter.

I shook my head at the ladies all laughing and walked into my bedroom,  I wanted to jump up and down on it.  But my name is not Tom Cruise.  I fell on to the bed feeling this day was going to be wonderful and to think I wasn’t keen on apple picking.

October 14, 2020 09:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Aisa M
13:28 Oct 24, 2020

From the weekly critique circle: Hi there! Nice little girl's weekend here. The story is so cute. Found some grammatical errors but that can be improved. :) Keep writing! Cheers!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.