0 comments

Sad Inspirational Romance

"Come on Thor. Time to go for a walk"

Thor comes running bringing his leash. He's ready. "Oh, so today you want to go on a walk? Hugh? Silly dog," I say to him.

I clasp his leash on and lock the door behind me. It's a beautiful fall day. The trees are red and orange with some brown leaves covering their roots. The sky is blue with no clouds in sight. The air is crisp with a light breeze. It's another perfect day for a walk. Thor and I take a walk every day. As long as the weather allows us.

Thor pulls me ahead knowing where to go. We take the same trail every day. "Good morning Mrs. White!" I call. Mrs. White is my elderly neighbor and she is the kindest woman. She leaves cookies by my door every Wednesday.

"Morning dear! Morning Thor," she says. Thor barks good morning back.

We walk under a canopy of maple trees. The last tree is the biggest and has M+F carved into it with a heart going around it. So many people carve their initials into trees. There must be 12 just in this area. I call it the love tree. Corny I know. It's been there for as long as I've lived here.

I moved here about five years ago after my husband died. He was a firefighter. He died doing what he loved. I miss him terribly. That's why I moved. To get a fresh start.

"Come on Thor, what are you-" I stop as I see an older man petting him. "Oh, hello," I say. I never noticed a bench under the love tree before. The man is sitting on it.

"Sorry Ms. I just love dogs," the man says.

"That's ok, he loves being pet."

"You're a little bit behind schedule today. Aren't you?" he asks.

"Pardon?"

"You're usually out here earlier, no?"

"Well yes. I slept in," I explain. How does this man know? Does he watch me?

"I'm sorry that was weird. I sit here every morning. I see you walk by with your dog,"

"Oh, cool." How have I never noticed him before?

"Fredrick," he says, extending his hand.

"Cammy," I say, shaking his hand. "Fredrick was my husband's name."

"Realy?"

"Yeah, he passed away a few years ago," I say.

"Oh, I'm so sorry," he says.

"That's ok, he died doing what he loved, fighting fires. He gave his life to save 10."

"He was a hero," he says sadly.

"He was," I say.

"My love died in a fire also," he says.

"I'm sorry," I say. He just stares out in front of me, lost in thought.

"Would you like to hear a story?" he asks.

"Ugh," I start. I really need to finish our walk and go shopping. But, he seems like such a nice man.

"It's alright if you're buzzy, I understand."

"No, it's ok. I'd love to hear a story," I say, taking a seat on the bench beside him.

-------

"Fred, let's go, we're going to be late!"

"Marryland, I'm just getting my coat. What time do we have to be there?" I ask. I don't even know why she wants to goto another Christmas party. It's the third one this week.

"Seven, but it's going to be eight if we don't hurry. Come on!" she yells.

"I'm coming, I'm coming."

------

"By! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!" she yells at Sue as we leave. "Say by Fred," Marry whispers to me.

"By, Happy Holidays," I say.

"You could have been a bit more enthusiastic, Fred."

"How could I when I wasted the whole night there. When I could have been alone with you," I say, nudging her.

"Haha! Fred," she says giggling.

I smile at her, "Come on, I'll get a cab."

"No, let's walk."

"Are you crazy? It's freezing!"

"It's ok, I want to do something with you," she said, taking my hand.

------

"What about it?"

"This is the biggest maple tree in Minnesota!" she tells me.

"No it's not."

"Well it has to be close. Now come here," she says, pulling me to the tree trunk.

"What are we doing?" I ask.

"Just give me your hand," she says.

She takes my hand and puts a pocket knife in it. She places her hand over mine and starts carrying letters into the tree.

When she finishes I take a step back and admire it. M+F is carved into it with a heart going around it.

"Now we are a part of the biggest tree," she says smiling.

"Yes we are," I say before kissing her.

-----

I got this, I tell myself. She'll say yes. I know she loves me. Right? Right. I say as I round the corner. Today is the day. I'm finally going to ask Marryland to marry me. She loves this ring. I saw her eyeing it at the shop. I also got her, her favorite flowers, Lillys. I'll walk up to her dad and-

“No,” I say, staring at the place where her house was.

Her house is gone. Well there's only a bit left, the rest is burnt down.

"Oh My God!" I scream dropping the flowers.

"I know, lad it's a tragedy."

I turn to see a man patting my back. "Were there any survivors?"

"No son, I'm sorry."

------

"Oh, my gosh. I'm so sorry," I say to Fredrick.

"It's ok Cammy. It was a long time ago. Plus I still have a part of her in this tree," he says looking up at it. "I call it The Tree of Sparks. Because we had a spark between us. It was what made our love so special. But it was also a spark that took her away from me."

"Wow," I say. It's funny how I walked by this tree everyday for five years and never saw the beauty in it or the story behind it.

"Thank you for sharing your story with me."

"Thank you for listening."

August 10, 2021 16:23

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.