6 comments

Black Contemporary Fiction

I.

“Yeleee, yele!” someone shouted in the tense and unmoving traffic.

We have been stuck for the past thrirty minutes after leaving the hotel. I had been with Nife, my new Sugar baby, I went on practicing the lie I would offer up to my wife whenever she asked where I had been. She wouldn't believe me but neither would she know the truth.

I strained my neck out to see whom it was. I looked around knowing fully well the person would call again.

“Yele! Oko Basira.”

I grinned.

No one had called me that in ages and I haven't seen or heard from Basira since she left the city so many years ago.

I recognized him, he wore a black Adidas face cap which had made me have a difficult moment identifying him. He blushed in astonishment as he steered the black Toyota Venza slowly with a hand, roasted corn in the other.

“Masun! Masunta lori Oba, how are you?” I screamed.

I could see my driver looking at me scornfully through the mirror. He was contemptuous of the fact that he had to work for me. He was a sad young man whose B.sc, M.sc and PhD had failed. His eyes weren't trustworthy and I planned on sacking him by the month's end.

Masun shouted again but I couldn't hear him, horns blared loudly as the traffic started moving again.

“Follow that car, make sure you don't miss it,” I said to Ika, my driver. I adjusted my Agbada, folding the hem a bit before throwing it over my shoulder. I ran my hand along my cap, smoothening some light creases.

“But sir, it is already getting dark. If we trail that car whose destination we do not know, we might get cut up in another traffic when coming back or get caught up on a very dangerous road.”

I swallowed hard, I would have beaten some sense into him if not because Nife had told be to always behave like the rich man I was. I might have a while I have done heavy jobs last but my energy hasn't waned and I am sure he wouldn't be a to stand a blow of mine.

Be cool. Smile.

Rich men don't shout.

I looked up.

“Ika, your are my driver not my secretary, do what I said you should do. And the next time you dare question my—”

I stopped myself from going on, my voice was already going higher. I inhaled and exhaled then I sat back.

We followed them a bit before the car pulled over. A woman wearing a stylishly made lace gown and shoe came out walking with a commanding gait. She pushed up her glasses and walked towards me as I also alighted mine.

“Could you tell me the reason why you—”

“I mean no harm, I just want a minute with my brother here.”

I was astonished at my confidence, on norms, I would have pleaded with her to have a minute with Masun after first apologizing for my behaviour. But now, Nife had taught me all of that.

Intimidate them.

Cut them short in their words.

I shifted my Agbada again.

That's the way the rich behave.

“Just a minute or we could just switch drivers,” I added winking at Masun. He was still staring at me in surprise, arms folded.

“Masun, just a minute. A second more and your job is gone,” she said walking briskly back to her car.

“Yelee!”

“Masun!”

“Yelee!”

We hugged tightly at first but Nife's lecture rang in my ears.

Do not behave irrationally in the public, do necessary stuffs in your car.

“Ahem, let's go into the car,” I said releasing my self from our embrace.

“Remember she gave me only a minute, she'll do anything she says.”

“Ehnn, how much does she pay you per month?”

“50k.”

“I will give you 500k if you follow me home tonight.”

His eyes widen as he ran to open the door for me before entering the car himself.

“Ika, let's go home.”


* * *

We were four in number, all poor; Lafun and I were orphans, Masun and Majata whom were twins still had a mother. Farming was our village's speciality, we tilled the earth and she blessed us. Western education wasn't revered at all; which made most of us to have only primary education only. Only few like my beloved heartthrob, Basira furthered to the only secondary school in village which had only six classrooms and 5 teachers.

An average person marries at the age of 17 at our village not minding the necessities of marriage. I planned on marrying Basira immediately she graduated from the school and I saved up from the money I earned.

Masun, Majata, Lafun and I all worked at Baba Olobi's farm. Baba Olobi had the second largest farm in the village after Baba Onikoko. Both of them were the richest men in the village. They both inherit their farms from their parents. Baba Onikoko farm was once rumored to be bigger than our whole village itself and even though we wouldn't agree to this, no one in the village not even Baba Onikoko himself knows the boundaries of the farm. At a point, forests just ran along the farm ends.

I was disappointed when Basira told me that her mother wants to send her to the city. Being friends with her Mum, I tried to speak her out of the decision when I discovered that they knew no one in the city.

“Please don't chase her away, what will she be doing at the city, who would she live with?”

“Yele, I know you love her but I don't want her to end up like most girls in this village. She will have more opportunities there than here and she is old enough to face life, she would survive.”

When she wouldn't coalesce, I decided to go to the city too, I talked to my three friends about the opportunities in the city.

Opportunities I know nothing about.

They took it in and we talked to Baba Olobi about our decision. Even though he wasn't happy, he gave us some money and a contact of someone whom we could be working for. And on a Sunday afternoon two weeks later, Basira, my three other friends and I were on a bus to the city.

The city was harsh and rowdy but it was better than the village. We could make more money with less work on the farm of our new boss.

We all lived in a cramped apartment that had a faulty old toilet. Basira in bid to a further her education got admitted to a University.

“When I am done with this University, we'll get married,” she said one night after we just had a round of enervating sex.

This made me to take it as my responsibility in funding her even though I knew that was not what she meant. I took care of all her academic finances while she provided for other needs with the money she earned.

“When your girlfriend goes to the University, just forget about her, she is no longer yours,” Majata said one day; Masun and Lafun affirmed to it also. I had been hearing all other boys at the farm say so but none of my close friend. I assure them that Basira was faithful to me and would do no such thing.

“She would realise that you are no longer useful for her or see herself above you and she will dump you.”

I tried shutting away their words from my mind but they linger on.

I got home one day to find Basira and Lafun on the bed. Furiously, I got a stick and tried breaking Lafun's head but Masun and Majata held me back. I cried in anger. I swore and cursed.

“So you guys were the one after Basira, you guys are all traitors,” I cried.

“We don't know what happened, we were sitting outside and they were just talking when we left them,” Masun said exonerating himself and his twin.

“Basira would never do this to me,” I said as it dawned on me that Basira was sleeping despite all our brouhaha.

I moved closer and shook her vigorously, she didn't wake up, “What have you done to her?”

“She would wake up in the next two hours,” he replied unremorsefully.

“You drugged her!”

I cleared the tears off my face and faced them.

“You have to leave this house and never come back and if you refuse to leave, I will take Basira and leave,” I declared.

He didn't even argue, he hissed, took the few things he had and left.

“We can sit down and settle it, no one should leave,” Masun said as Lafun was leaving but nobody responded.

I find it hard to trust Basira after the incident even though she said the last thing she remembered was her taking a drink which Lafun had given her.


* * *

Our third year in the city broke me down. Basira came home one day excitedly to tell me that she had won a scholarship. She was going to be sponsored by another person or organization but I couldn't understand it.

I didn't complain about my sponsoring her. To crown it all, this scholarship was going to take her away—again. I immediately put pieces together and affirmed that scholarship was a guy. A young rich boy at the University. He was going to take Basira away—from me.

Gradually, she prepared her departure, I tried talking her out of it but she had made up her mind. I can't even follow her this time around, it was the big bird that she was going to board.

Then, I followed her to the Campus one day, armed with my Cutlass and a kitchen knife, determined to kill scholarship immediately I set my eyes on him. Disappointingly, she met with no one called Scholarship, and whenever I tried asking some of her friends, they would laugh as if the had they inhaled the gas.

I lost the will to live after she left, I cried all day and roam the streets at night. I was arrested a few times for alleged robbery after I would be caught near the scene; walking and looking dejectedly. Eventually, I would be granted bail and Masun or Majata would come to my aid. But when I kept getting into trouble, I was layed off by our boss. Masun and Majata left one day after they had a serious life changing and motivating conversation with me. I didn't stop them, when I had nothing left, I went back to the village.





II.

“How is Majata?” I asked as my househelp called us to the dinner. My wife had travelled to her home town and I had been the only one at home with our workers.

“He is fine but Majata has changed, a lot. The city changed him. He has three wives and 5 kids now and he can't take care of them. He womanizes, drinks and borrows a lot. He doesn't pay me back my money but since I regard his family as mine, I still help him the little way I can. Hoping that, one day he would come back to his senses.”

“He is trying enjoy his life,” I replied. We washed our hands as we sat down.

“Enjoy I said,” I said as we dig into the hot Amala and vegetable soup.

“What about you, how is everything now. Your family? ”

“We are living-in, we are preparing our marriage. We have our twins two years ago,” he replied beaming proudly.

“Wow! This twin stuff really runs in your family.”

“You can say that again.”

“What about..Lafun? Have you guys been in touch since then?”

He sighed. “It has been years now that Lafun died.”

“What happened!”

“He was arrested several times for rape. He always managed to get away with the act after they would find no evidence to acquit him.” He stopped, taking a gulp of water to accompany the large morsel he just swallowed. Licking his hands he continued, “Then, he raped a 3-year old neighbour's daughter, he was caught in the act and was lynched rather than being handed over to the police.”

Though I shook my head, I really didn't feel pity for him, he deserved all he got.

“Let's talk about you. Haaa! Yele. See money, how did you do it? When I came back looking for you after I realized we shouldn't have left you then, I was told that you went back to the village.”

I laughed.

“It was Basira's mother that helped me. She gave me everything I needed to get back on my feet. Then, I started all over at Baba Olobi's farm. I worked for him till he died and at that time, he had already loved me like a son. I wasn't surprised that he willed half of farm to me.”

“Baba Olobi willed half of his farm to you. Kpekele! You get luck sha.”

“Not luck, grace,” I replied in smiles.

“I haven't seen any children around?”

“No children yet.”

“You are getting old—”

“Ahh, let me bring in that red wine, you would like it.”

He didn't say anything about family anymore, we had the night to ourselves and we talked about everything except Basira. But before he left the following day, we fixed a reunion on the coming Friday night.

“You should come with your families also,” I implored.



* * *

They came separately, Majata arrived first, with his family. He looked older than his age but I could still recognized him. All his children looked malnourished, their eyes brightened immediately they saw the snacks that the hoisehelp dished out for them, they all ate voraciously not minding the presence of their parents. His wives doesn't look happy either, but they wore on beautiful smiles.

Masun came in with his cute little twins after some minutes, his fiance with him. She was so beautiful.

Then we all settled at the table.

“Let's make a toast to our reun—”

“A reunion–without me,” a woman said strolling in, in a blue gown. She took slow, breathtaking strides as she came in uninvited.

My glass actually dropped as my heart fluttered.

“Basira!” I mouthed.

Majata and Masun stood up and hugged her just as if she was expected while I was left standing in shock.

“You know that my boss from the other day, this is my boss's boss,” Masun said motioning to her.

“Now, let's make the toast,” she said taking a seat beside the table.

“You guys can go on, we would be back,” I said as I walked towards Basira, took her hand and led her outside.

I hugged her tightly as we got out, she stiffened in my embrace so I let go.

“I thought I would never see you again.”

“And I here I am in blood and bone, am back,” she replied.

“Do you have an husband yet?”

“Is that the right question to ask a guest?”

“Ohh! Am sorry. I asked because you are not slipping away from me this time. Not even Scholarship will take you away,” I said.

She laughed. “Aren't you taking things too fast, Mr Yele?”

“You don't know 'fast'. I will get my divorce papers ready. I want to marry you.”

“I have a kid though.”

“Our kid, our child,” I said, pulling her close.

“Then I am, all yours.”

“You mean you would marry me?”

“Let's take things slowly,” she muttered.

“This is the best day of my life,” I said kissing her lips softly before running back into the house.

Excitedly, I gulped down a drink and started dancing irrationally. I picked up one of the twins and danced with her, her contagious chuckles implored all others into dancing.


February 05, 2021 10:24

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

6 comments

XANDER DMER
16:10 Feb 10, 2021

Hey Olab :D I Like It!! :) Do You Mind Checking Out My Stories And Pleasee Leave Comments & Like :D :D :D

Reply

Olabanji Aliu
07:40 Feb 11, 2021

I am glad you do and I don't mind reading your stories too

Reply

XANDER DMER
12:34 Feb 11, 2021

:-] Thank You! =)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
00:17 Feb 11, 2021

I liked the description of baba olobi's fram: "At a point, the forest just ran along the farm ends." If scholarship was a guy *grins*

Reply

Olabanji Aliu
07:44 Feb 11, 2021

Thanks for reading @Oluwapelumi. What do you think about the ending?

Reply

22:51 Feb 11, 2021

It's nice, warm and comforting, although I think Yele's acceptance of the fact that Basira had a child was all too sudden. Also, we were left in the dark as to why Yele wanted a divorce. Above all, it was a nice read, I loved the originality..... Especially the farms.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.