0 comments

Contemporary Drama Fiction

Audrey Lang was alone on Valentine’s Day. Again. Not that it really bothered her. She’d rather enjoyed these past two and a half years of being single. It was a Saturday, so Audrey thought she would go shopping. She had already dressed in jeans and t-shirt.


Her ash blonde hair was plaited down her back. She added dangly earrings, some bracelets, and her favorite ballet flats. A quick dusting of powder on her face and balm on her lips and she was good to go. Oh wait, she nearly forgot her sunglasses.


While backing out of her driveway, she stopped. Mrs. Jordan’s very fluffy ginger cat had decided to walk by. She would have been so upset if she accidentally ran it over. Sasha now sat upon the nearest wall, grooming herself. Audrey switched on the radio, setting it to a low volume.


Ashmore Meadows used to be a small town. Ten years later, it was still growing and changing. Buildings got bigger and everything else underwent a makeover of sorts. More houses popped up. The population kept on expanding. Every week, new residents were making themselves at home.


###

Audrey found a spot in the underground carpark of the West Bridge Shopping Centre. She remembered to lock the doors, after making sure she had everything. She didn’t have anything specific in mind to buy, the weather was just too nice to be stuck indoors. Maybe she would even go by the beach for a walk later. Most of the stores she passed were done up in various shades of pink and red, with heart decorations and soft music. It really was a nice touch.


Her phone began to play its’ very loud disco themed ringtone. “Hey Ella.” “Audrey. How are you?” “No complaints. Yourself?” “Ecstatic. You will never guess what happened to me this morning.” “Taylor proposed, didn’t he?” “Yes! Wait, how the hell do you know that?” “I helped him choose the ring about a month ago.”


“It’s gorgeous. We’re going out to dinner tonight, but I was wondering…” “Say no more, I can look after Jade.” “Thanks, see you around five?” “I’ll be there. Would your daughter be okay with me ordering pizza for us?” “Of course.”


They said goodbye and hung up. Audrey caught sight of a newley opened gift shop, called Visions. Curious, she walked towards it. Dreamcatchers and candles were displayed in the front windows. She could also see tarot cards and incense, along with various bits and pieces of jewellery.


It looked like a lot of homemade stuff, which she thought was even better. A rack of colorful clothing drew her in. She picked up a burgundy embellished top. $12. A fair price. “Good afternoon, may I help you?” The lady behind the counter wore a gypsy style dress and big gold hooped earrings.


Her brown hair was held back by a pretty scarf. She had black eyes, which seemed to twinkle when she smiled. Audrey couldn’t help smiling in return. “I was only looking, but I think I have to buy this. I’d also like a closer look at the dragon pendant you have in that case.”


“Sure thing. My name is Carla.” “Audrey. How long has this place been up and running?” “A few weeks. I have so many things I want my customers to check out. This is only the beginning. I hope.”

The pendant was made of white gold and had a tiny red gem in the center.


“Ruby?” “Garnet. Suitable for either gender.” “My older brother Erik would love this. He has a fascination with mythical beasts.” “$40. Anything else?” She shook her head. “However, I will be coming here again.” “I love to hear that. Enjoy the rest of your day.” “You too.” 


Although Carla was old enough to be her mother, Audrey wondered if they could be friends. She refueled at a coffeeshop. Then she made her way back to the escalator that led down to the south exit.


###


She was about to turn a left corner on a familiar road, when out of nowhere, another car slammed into her passenger side door and sent both vehicles spinning. When hers stopped, she let loose a breath she hadn’t even realized she’d been holding. She was shaken but unhurt.


The same couldn’t be said for her fellow driver. He or she, had hit a telephone pole which then collapsed on top of them. Audrey speed dialed 911 and got out of her car. Perhaps she could be of some assistance. Several people who had witnessed the collision, clearly thought the same thing.


But the ambulance response was very quick. Two paramedics carefully removed the injured driver and lay him on a stretcher. Close up, Audrey could see it was a young man. He could be about her age. His eyes were closed.


Blood was pouring from a nasty gash on his head and some bones appeared to be broken. But he was alive, for the moment anyway. She let someone give her a once over and was relieved not to need a trip to the hospital. She decided her beach walk could wait for another day.


###

Audrey told her friends about her near-death experience later that evening, when she showed up at their house. Jade may have been preoccupied with the Tv, but she still heard their conversation. “I’m glad you’re okay.” “Me too.” They ordered a chicken and bacon pizza, with mushrooms and BBQ sauce, cheesy potato puffs and wings, plus a loaf of garlic bread.


She had babysat for Ella several times. She didn’t ask for money, although her friend insisted on her taking it. Jade was very well behaved for a six-year-old. But then again, she’d always liked Audrey. She also loved to dance and sing. Improvised musical numbers were often played out.


This time, the little girl was more excited about a movie she saw at the cinemas, which had recently become available on DVD. Her mother bought her a copy yesterday. Audrey found some snacks and poured fizzy drink into two plastic cups.


They got comfortable on the L shaped couch as the disc started. She noticed when the movie was close to the end, that Jade’s eyelids were struggling to stay open. Audrey glanced at her watch. Almost 8:45pm. Once the credits came on, she pressed stop with the remote.


Jade changed into her pajamas and brushed her teeth. “Can you read me a story?” “Which one?” They didn’t even make it halfway through the book. Jade was out for the count. Audrey tucked the girl in and kissed her forehead. “Sweet dreams, kid.” She left the hall light on and the bedroom door ajar.


She returned to the couch. Soon she fell asleep herself, waking up only when someone shook her slightly. Ella and Taylor suggested she sleep there. She could use the spare room. “I also have some clothes you can borrow.” “Okay. See you guys in the morning.”


###


On the way home, Audrey made a split-second decision. She was going to the hospital. She needed to know that man was okay. The accident wasn’t her fault, but she would still feel awful if he had died. Walking through the entrance, she spotted someone she didn’t expect to see. Carla. “Hey.” “Hi.”


Her bright and cheery mood was, at this moment, rather somber. “Are you alright?” “Me, I’m fine. I was just about to go and see my son Charlie. He was brought in yesterday. Car accident.” “Was he by any chance, in a dark blue hatchback?” “Yes.” “Oh my.” “What is it?” “I was there. The other car involved was mine.” “Thank goodness you got out of it safely.”


“How is he?” “Stable. They were able to bandage him up and set a couple of breaks. Would you like to meet him?” “I came her to see if he pulled through.” How she could have found this information without Carla, was something she hadn’t even considered.


He was awake and sitting up in bed. “Hi Mum. Who is this?” Audrey instantly saw the resemblance between mother and son. They both had the same eyes and similar facial features, although his hair was much darker. “Her name is Audrey. She was the other driver your car smashed into.”


"Sorry about that.” “I’m insured, it’s okay.” “She’s also a new customer of mine at the store.” “Cool. Listen, when do you think they will let me leave?” “I don’t know, shall I go find out?” “Please.” “I’ll be back soon.”


Audrey asked him what he did for a living. “Building contractor. My best friend and I went into business together and it has paid off big time.” “My job pays the bills, but it’s not what I really want to do. I teach Year 6 English in primary school. I am also called upon for private tutoring of high schoolers. You would be surprised how many teenagers need that extra help.”


They were on the topic of childhood pets when Carla came back into the room. Doctor Richardson followed close behind. “Angel was a sweet dog, wasn’t she Mum?” “Right up until the last moment we held her. Old age gets to us all.” The doctor nodded. “Too true. Mr. Newton, you understand that you must take it easy.”


“Boring.” “I know, but it’s the only way to get you up and on your feet quicker.” “Simon had already been told. Our work is continuing. I will just have to use my phone and tablet a bit more.” “Sign on the dotted line and you’re out of here.” “Thanks doc.” “Take care.”


###


Audrey answered a knock on her door, to find Charlie standing there. He’d healed up rapidly, now only wearing a bandage on one arm and a smaller cast on his right leg. He got around with crutches. Physiotherapy was doing wonders. The two of them had exchanged numbers after they first met.


Several weeks went by. A new friendship had begun to unfold. People assumed they were dating. They were wrong. Sure, they shared a lot of things in common and there was definitely a bond, but not once had Audrey ever thought about kissing Charlie. He felt the same way. It would be just too weird.


Tonight, they were headed to the theatre to see The Phantom of The Opera. Two of Charlie’s friends, Nadia and Robert Carpenter, had starring roles. He promised he would attend. Audrey did like a bit of glamour every now and then.


This was a perfect opportunity to wear her new tailored suit. Dark grey and a blue top under the waistcoat, with high heels. Charlie opted for traditional black and white. “We scrub up pretty good.” “Indeed.” “You know, you could be a model.”


She’d told very few people about this secret ambition of hers, which started in her primary school days. During the last year, she had finally taken a step forward and built up a collection of photos.


She also found out at Amy’s wedding a few months ago, that her cousin’s new husband Shaun, ran a photography studio. Audrey was thinking of calling them up. She was only twenty-two. Quite young. Modelling was a tough profession to crack into, but she knew she would regret forever, if she didn’t at least give it a try.


###


After the show, the cast and crew went out for drinks. Audrey and Charlie joined them. This wasn’t really her crowd, but they still made her feel very welcome. She sat on a barstool and sipped her drink, quite happy to watch everyone else. A tipsy redhead took the seat next to her. “I’m Eva. You came here with Charlie, right?”


“Yes. But he is not my boyfriend, if that’s what you were going to ask next.” “Really? How come?” Audrey shrugged. “No sparks. He’s a great guy, just not for me.” “Huh. Well in that case, you won’t be mad if I go and flirt with him?” “Have at it.”


Watching Charlie’s reaction to Eva, Audrey had a feeling that she would most likely be calling a taxi to take herself home. He deserved to have some fun. She had another drink, then put on her coat. The start of autumn had gotten rather chilly and this evening was no exception.


She couldn’t wait to snuggle under the covers. Alone. Perhaps, she thought as she drifted off into dreamland, she would try dating again one of these days. Genuinely good guys still existed out there for sure. They were just harder to find.


###

ABOUT THREE WEEKS LATER…


“Welcome to the Masquerade Agency Miss Lang. Please take a seat.” Angelique Jones, who had once been a top model herself, was still recognizable, even though she was now a mature aged woman. Twice divorced, with no children. Despite the grey hair, it was hard to tell her age.


“I know this business very well and how hard it can be, especially in the beginning. You have no idea of the dramas that went on behind the scenes. I had people around me, whom I could trust. They kept me on the right path. Other girls were not so fortunate and sadly lost their way.


You’re comfortable in front of a camera.” “Always.” “Shaun Malone? I have seen his work before. Impressive.” She pointed to an outdoor garden shot. “I really like this one. You say a friend of yours took this at random?” “Yeah, it was at a birthday party.”


“You have raw talent, that we can polish up into something special. I applaud dedication and hard work. We have no slackers in this agency. Relationships are not forbidden, but if they interfere with your professional life…”


“I get it.” “Kids?” “If I were seriously considering the idea of children, it probably wouldn’t happen until at least several more years have gone by.” “I love my nieces and nephew, but I made a choice early on in my life, not to become a mother. Do you have any drug or alcohol related issues?”


"I tried a cigarette once when I was fourteen. I hated it. I enjoy a drink or two, but that doesn’t ever get out of hand. As for drugs, my family and I dealt with my sister’s overdose. Amara is healthier and much happier these days, but we nearly lost her. I steer clear of that stuff.”


"Good for you. Honesty is something I also like. If something is bothering you, don’t hide it from me. So, here we have the contract, would you like me to talk you through it?” “By all means.”


###

Audrey’s modelling career started to gain momentum, from the minute she signed on at Masquerade. There was always something on offer. She did magazine covers, cosmetic ads, and even participated in a runway show, featuring local designers. Sometimes, she missed the classrooms and the kids she taught.


But this was so much more exciting. Her finances had also improved dramatically. She would never have made this much as an English teacher. People recognized her. She signed her first autographs. The agency backed her all the way. Things were at last falling into place. This was once a dream. Now it had become a reality. Could it be any better?

THE END

November 02, 2020 03:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.