The First Date

Submitted into Contest #7 in response to: Write a story infused with dark humor.... view prompt

5 comments

Funny

“Reservations under Tom Metzger.” 


“Perfect. This way Mr. Metzger.” The host led the couple to a small table covered in white linen. A short candle illuminated the table in a romantic glow. 


Tom pulled out the chair for his date and she meekly thanked him and smiled shyly as she watched him sit down and pull his own chair in closer. They smiled at each other, but the tension was surely unbearable. A restrained clearing of his throat finally broke the silence.


“So,” Tom focused on maintaining eye contact with the woman across from him, “Mandy, you certainly look beautiful tonight.” He complimented her, glancing over the crafted curls in her earthy-brown hair. He appreciated the deep red color swiped over her lips, making them look like soft plush velvet pillows. 


“Thank you. I think you look quite handsome tonight too.” She smiled and unconsciously tucked her chin in. She placed her hands on the edge of the table gracefully. She remembered reading online that on first dates, you shouldn’t hide your hands so as not to subconsciously signal to the other person that you may be hiding something. Mandy spent the whole night researching first date tips and tricks. Reading “Life Hacks” and extensively studying how to read body language.


A lean young man, most likely a student, approached them. He formally introduced himself as Trevor, offered still and sparkling water and reviewed the wine list with the two. However, Mandy was barely paying attention. She rarely drank and when she did, it definitely wasn’t a fancy bottle of red wine or champagne. 


“Would you like to split a bottle this evening?” Trevor asked and looked between them. Mandy looked to Tom with raised eyebrows.


Tom felt perspiration forming under his brow. This was one of the many tests on a first date. He needed to choose a wine. He pondered if he should go for white or red wine. Red. Obviously--more romantic. There were so many foreign words on the list. He palmed his jacket pocket, pretending to look for glasses he didn't have so he could buy himself more time. Merlot? Syrah? What was Cabernet? Were they really that different? Does she even want wine? Tom looked to Mandy who was staring back at him with wide eyes. He looked back to the server as he couldn’t look in her eyes, they were too distracting. Tom frowned mostly at himself for that cheesy thought.


“Must have left my glasses at home.” He awkwardly half chuckled half chuffed. “Just surprise us with a nice...mellow red.” He smiled, staring Trevor in the eyes hoping he would pick up on his cry for help. The waiter nodded professionally and hesitated a bit as he walked away. Tom released a sigh he hadn’t noticed he was holding. Mandy also felt a bit of relief. She preoccupied herself with opening her menu and looking around at the options.


“Ooh, they have spinach and garlic stuffed mushroom caps.” She commented.


“We can get some as an appetizer to start off with,” Tom suggested and Mandy smiled and nodded in agreement. He smiled, feeling like finally, he had done something correctly. 


Mandy and Tom looked at their menus for a few more minutes, deciding on their meals before closing up their menus just as their waiter arrived back. He popped the cork on the bottle before pouring a small amount in Tom’s glass and set it down in front of him. A couple of seconds passed before Tom realized he was meant to taste it. He cleared his throat and smiled--sweetly to Mandy and apologetically to their waiter--He swirled the glass around just as he had seen the pros do on food shows. He tilted it back, smelling it as he sipped the wine and smacked his lips for good measure. Tom hummed. He had no idea how to tell the difference between good and bad wine. He nodded in approval and the server poured their glasses, setting the wine bottle down in the middle of the table.


“Would you like a few more minutes to look over the menu?” He asked.


“No, I think we’re ready.” Tom smiled, “Right?” He quickly added on, afraid Mandy would dislike him speaking for her. She nodded and Tom motioned for her to go first.


“Yes,” Mandy opened her menu. Pointing to her entree, “I’ll have the mushroom risotto with truffle oil please.” She asked very sweetly with a smile. Tom kept noticing how wonderful that smile was. She handed off her menu to the waiter and they both turned their heads to look at Tom. He looked down at his menu again.


“I’m going to take the um,” Tom suddenly realized he couldn’t order the rib-eye. He would have gas within the hour. Very quickly his eyes shot across the page and landed on something with the word vegetables in it. “The Lemony Quinoa Salad with...Shaved Vegetables.” He finished off. There goes a nice meal for the night. He felt defeated as he handed off his menu. His father was turning in his grave for choosing such a “girly” meal as he would have said.


“Oh and we wanted to get the stuffed mushrooms to start off with as well.” Mandy added and the server left with a polite “certainly ma’am.”


The night was growing darker and the sunset colors were shining into the restaurant now through the large windows that faced the view of the skyline. Tom and Mandy certainly both were feeling the awkwardness still at this point. Hopefully, some light conversation would improve their bond. Tom had his list of conversational “no-nos” including politics, sensitive topics, and deeply personal questions. At least until they grew more comfortable around each other. He also needed to remind himself not to overshare which had been the deal-breaker on his last two dates.


“Quinoa Salad?” Mandy teased a little bit. Tom just sheepishly shrugged. “Don’t be embarrassed. I think it’s a very positive sign that a guy isn’t afraid to order something like that. All guys seem to want to do is order a big, fat, bloody steak and loads of carbs and garlic.” She made a grossed out face and laughed. Tom laughed too. Secretly he craved that big, fat, bloody steak.


“Yeah well, my macho man father would certainly give me a staredown if he were here.” Tom chuckled and Mandy seemed to loosen up every time she giggled or laughed. It gave Tom hope that maybe this date wasn’t going as poorly as it had been in his head.


“Okay, an ice breaker.” Mandy readjusted her posture in her seat and looked at Tom with a hint of a mischevious gleam in her eye. “I played this in college at our boring little club meetings.” She held out her hands, palms up and stared at Tom expectantly, waiting for his hands to fall on top of hers. He smirked and placed his hands on hers. “Alright, here’s the game. One of us, whoever has their hands on top, will start by asking a question. The other will give a hint to the answer. Something that’s vague enough to not be obvious, but not impossible to guess. Then the person who asked the question will guess the answer until they get it right. Once they guess it right, then the person with their hands underneath tries to slap the top of their hands. If they miss, then they have to try again with a different question. However, if you successfully slap their hands, then it’s your turn to ask a question. If the person guessing can’t guess then the person gets a free slap. Easy. Ready?” Mandy was very enthusiastic. Tom couldn’t stop smiling and nodded fast.


“Ready.”


“You ask a question first.” Mandy bounced his hands in hers.


“Okay? Let’s see.” Tom looked around the room, trying to think of a good question. “What is your favorite flower?” Mandy rolled her eyes at the question but thought of a hint anyway, deciding to amuse Tom’s inquisition.


“The scent can relieve stress and help you sleep,” Mandy said confidently. Tom let his head fall between his shoulders.


“I just realized how little I know about flowers. But, okay, let me mull it over a second.” Tom felt a lightbulb go off in his head. “Rose.” He blurted confidently, but Mandy stared at him with a cocked eyebrow and a partial smirk. “Okay, not that one. Um, helps you sleep. Oh! Lavender!” Mandy’s famous smile broke and she flipped her hands around, smacking Tom’s hands. He flinched back and Mandy started cracking up at his confused and betrayed look on his face before he cracked a wild smile. “I forgot about that part of the game. I’ll be ready next time.”


The couple continued playing, jerking their arms back and almost knocking their glasses of wine which remained untouched. Mandy and Tom were so involved in the spirit of the competition, they hadn’t even noticed the looks from the patrons around their table. Not even when Mandy squealed as Tom hit her hands and the woman behind Mandy, flinched and dropped her spoon into her soup. She turned in her seat and stared burning holes into the back of Mandy’s head. Their mushrooms were served to them, but they sat there unappreciated and getting cold. The lights were dim now as the sun had fallen behind the architecture of the small city. 


“Okay. One more question each. Then we should stop before we get kicked out.” Mandy laughed. “Let’s both ask a question and then take turns answering and whoever gets it right first wins the whole game.” She wiggled her eyebrows at Tom and bit her lower lip, wiggling her skinny fingers on Tom’s wrist in anticipation.


“I didn’t realize we were keeping score, but okay, I’ll make this one easy for you. Tell me something about you that you haven’t revealed to me yet, but are nervous to tell me.” He wiggled one eyebrow back at his female counterpart.


“That’s not fair. That’s not even a question.”


“Okay then here: What is something you’re afraid to tell me about yourself?” He rephrased.


“Alright,” She rolled her eyes and dropped her head in defeat. She picked her head back up again and looked Tom directly in the eyes as she spoke. “Here’s your question, an actual easy one: What do you do for a living?” Tom expected a crazy personal question back, but so far the most important thing he’s learned about Mandy was that he could never know what to expect from her. 


“Here’s my hint: I have devoted myself to this lifestyle for the well-being of others.” She winked.


“Okay, that could be a thousand different things. Here’s mine:” Tom licked the bottom of his top teeth and pursed his lips confidently. “I work with animals.” Mandy seemed to lighten up with that hint. “And I think you’re a nun.” He guessed first.


“Nope, try again. You’re a veterinarian?” She asked hopefully it seemed.


“Pastor. Pastoress?” Tom cocked his head, unsure if there even was a feminine word for a church pastor. Mandy almost snorted, shaking her head at Tom.


“Are you a wildlife conservationist or biologist?”


“That was technically two guesses; both incorrect.” Tom was certain he was going to fool her this round.


“Okay, I give up. Here come our entrees.”


“You tell me first.”


“I’m vegetarian.” She grimaced, but it melted into another smile, “Surprise!” She laughed.


“O-Oh.” Tom’s face fell.


“What about you?” Mandy asked as she watched the server approaching with their plates, placing her risotto down in front of her.


“I am a--uh--” Tom’s throat felt tight. “I’m a butcher.” He blurted out just as his plate was placed in front of him. Mandy stared at him and he stared back at her. Both were silent as their server quickly left the table. Mandy put her fork down and looked around herself for a couple of seconds before locating her purse.


“Well, it was nice meeting you, Tom.” She dug into her purse and pulled out some cash. “Here’s $50 for my half of dinner. I’m just going to have them box this up for me.” She grabbed her plate and walked it over to one of the busboys to ask for her meal to go. 


“Yeah.” Tom muttered to himself “You’ll get them next time. “ He clinked his glass to the bottle of wine and drank it.

September 19, 2019 01:20

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

Mari Marbles
15:49 Dec 02, 2020

oof poor guy

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kendra Oppong
20:26 Mar 08, 2023

I really enjoyed reading this story! Nice job!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Tommy Goround
04:44 Sep 11, 2022

Clapping. Nice twist.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ella Yu
06:12 Dec 04, 2020

thats was amazing

Reply

Show 0 replies
Whitney Ivy
18:08 Nov 08, 2019

I really enjoyed this

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.