0 comments

Fiction Romance Teens & Young Adult

We walk out of the bus and line up in front of a grand, dramatic house. There are 10 of us, all waiting to meet our bachelorette. My palms are sweaty and my forehead is shiny. I quickly wipe my hands on my shirt and dry my forehead. The other guys looked equally nervous except for HIM. The obvious winner of this competition, Dylan. He's tall, handsome, and a charmer. I am not bad looking myself, just a very nervous wreck. "Do you think you'll win?" one of the guys beside me asks. I give him a shrug. "I don't stand a chance." he whispers. All of a sudden, a very beautiful woman walks out the the two grand doors. "This is this years bachelorette, Victoria!" the loudspeaker announces. We all clap. "I hope you're here to have some fun!" she yells. We gather ourselves and enter the household.

The first out of three rounds is the dating round. Every contestant will go on an hour date with the bachelorette. The line slowly dwindles until it is my turn. "Hi handsome!" she squeaks. I introduce myself as Chris and we step into a black limo. We engage in small talk until we arrive at the restaurant. We find a seat and begin to order. "You seem like a quiet person. You seem smart." she says. "Yep, that's me" I say. She give me a sly look. "Listen... I'm not really looking for a boyfriend. I just want the money and fame." I stay quiet. "I want you to sabotage the competition so that me and you win and get the money." "Why? Don't you want love?" Victoria laughs. "Ha! Love? I love money!" "Ok, fine. I'll do it, but only if I get to drive that sick car of yours." She smirks. It's a deal.

We eat and talk some more. I am daunted by my task. I think to myself. "Should I really be doing this? Is the money worth it? The car?" I could use this opportunity to heighten my name. I'll finally be worth it. "Snap!" I shake my head and wake from my trance. "You're not thinking of backing out are you?" she asks suspiciously. "No-no of course not" I stutter. "Let's finish eating then and get on with the kissing." "The-the kissing?" I say in shock. "Yes, you nerd the kissing. You want to win right? You win, "get me", and then you get the money which you will hand over to me." I nod my head. "Good boy." We finish our meal and head to the limo parked outside. We face each other and she leans in and gives me a kiss. Phase one of the plan is done.

By the end of the day, there are only five contestants left. By tomorrow night there will only be 2 left. The loudspeakers blare across the courtyard. "You guys are very lucky to have come this far! Today, you guys will be going to an amusement park of Victoria's choosing! Be sure to impress or you will be a mess!" He clicks out and it goes quiet. As usual, I am the last contestant to go on the date. Me and Victoria kiss and head into the limo. "You still in right? This is your first task." I give a quick nod. "I need you to make something up about Dylan. He's a favorite among the viewers and needs to be taken out." "Ok? What do I say?" She shrugs. "Say that you saw him with another girl or something." We arrive at Disneyland and have some fun around the park. After 3 hours, we pack up and get ready to go back to the mansion. "Make sure you do the thing." I give her a nod and open the limo door for her.

The next morning there are only two contestants left Me and Trevor. We line up at the front of the mansion. "This is the last round to Victoria's heart! One of you will go home with a beautiful woman and a load of cash! Fight your hearts out contestants!" Trevor smirks at me.

The last round will be to meet the bachelorette's parents. Trevor goes first, putting a cocky smile on his face as he walks past hand-in-hand with Victoria. She gives me a secret wink and hops into the car. Two hours pass as I wait to be called on the loudspeaker. "The plan is going perfectly. Only a couple more hours and this will be over." I smooth my hair and suit and stand up. "Chris? It seems there has been a few...problems with the bachelorette and Trevor. Apparently, he disrespected the family and has been removed from the competition. By default, you are the winner!" I smile to myself. I've finally completed the mission I was told to do. I felt accomplished as I walked from the waiting room to the courtyard and into Victoria's arms. Lights flashed blue and red as I snapped the handcuffs to her wrists. "What-what are you doing!?" she screams. "You are under arrest for fraud!" I say to her. Turns out Victoria wasn't even her real name. She had been going onto different reality TV shows and stealing prize money! I was her next "victim" but too bad we had already had eyes on her. She usually recruited potential bachelors over to her side by promising them nice things but would up and vanish instead. She even stole contestant personal belongings before. I had to act the part by pretending to be a shy, non-confrontational guy. Truth is, Dylan was undercover the whole time. He just had to confirm to me that she was indeed stealing items when he wasn't "looking". Then came me and the deal. That night, I noticed that a ring was missing. This was when I knew we had the right perpetrator. When Trevor lost the game because he was "disrespecting" her family, I knew we had her right in our hands. I'm glad I took that deal.

Thanks Vic.

November 02, 2020 22:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.