0 comments

Happy

So that night, I went to the beach. I sat down on the warm sand and watched the sunset over the sea. I watched as people went home, but mostly I stared out into the horizon, looking, watching. Looking into the orange to dark navy sky be truly created. The horizon, the same line, but now with such a new meaning that the one you can Google if you want a definition. Because when you get your answer, you may think that's all there is. But it stretches out far beyond that. Then there's a loud noise, that disturbs the serenity of the scene. My siblings, the millions of them, and by that I mean my five siblings aren't there.

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BOOM. I smashed down on my alarm clock, making it stop. "5 more minutes," I grumble. I wish my clock had not gone off. Then I could continue to see how pretty that horizon was. Then I remember, I'm going on vacation today. I leap up and get ready as fast as possible. I make my bed and run downstairs. I eat quickly. My siblings get up and move and can't stop talking about the horizon of Hawaii. I've Googled it a million times. It's not the same as in-person. But not as nice as that dream. I remember the beauty of the horizon.

Horizon. It's basically where the line where the sky and the land touch. Very pretty, if it's in person. Nothing beats the one in Hawaii. The last time we went and saw it, we were amazed. No wonder this is the real excitement. I thought it was cool, but my older siblings seemed to believe there was nothing else worth living for, except that horizon. I think they're crazy. The horizon is cool and really pretty, but that does not equal the only thing worth living for. I'm reminded of my dream once more.

We get on the plane. By the time we arrive in Hawaii, we'll be able to see the sunrise. The plane takes off and we say goodbye to our home for a few days. Time is slow. Eventually, we do get to land. It's amazing. My parents wake from a nap, and I gather my younger siblings. My older ones were already a few steps from getting off. We get our baggage and watch the sunrise from the inside of the car. My parents take pictures. The driver can't speak English. We don't understand him one bit, but we pretend we do. We try to be quiet as he drives us. As I watch the sunrise, I remember the sunset I saw in my dream.

The car stops. We get out and look at how big the hotel is. It's huge. There are lots of plants and flowers outside. We check-in at the lobby. My younger siblings are running around in the lobby. Once we get going upstairs to our room on the fifth floor, they follow right behind us. We have three rooms. One for my parents, one for my older siblings, and one for me and the little ones. There are eight of us. Obviously, we needed a few rooms or one huge one, like a bigger hotel. Only once have we fit in just one room. It was a very big room, let me tell you.

We unpack and get settled. We get some food and decide to go swimming. My youngest siblings get put in the kid pool. They found other kids their age right away. My older siblings are lounging or in the pool playing games with the other teens their age. A couple of my younger siblings are allowed to play with them. My parents are lounging by the bar, in the shade. Unlike my older sisters, who are tanning. I get stuck watching my younger siblings in the kid pool, and switching back and forth, checking on everyone. Make sure everyone is getting on well.

It's wearing me out. I got very tired and sweaty. It was very hot out. My little siblings relied on me though, and my older siblings rely on me to do their chores on vacation. Because they're in college and we only get to have this one vacation once yearly it's a big deal and I feel like it's my top priority to make them enjoy the vacation. Otherwise, they may not want to come on vacation with us ever again. My little siblings are a bit too young to fend for themselves. They get into trouble easily too.

I'm used to this though. making sure everyone is safe and happy was kind of my job in the family. Short of that, I didn't have much of another purpose. Anyways, after that, we went to lunch. We got pineapple kabobs. Everyone was ready to sleep after all the excitement, especially the little ones. Even I was. So, we slept for an hour or so. Once we woke up, we decided to go to the beach and watch the sunset. Watch the sunset. I want to see the horizon again. I remember the dream I had last night. Now I really want to go. More than before.

That night, I went to the beach. I sat down on the warm sand and watched the sunset over the sea. I watched as people went home, but mostly I stared out into the horizon, looking, watching. Looking into the orange to dark navy sky be truly created. The horizon, the same line, but now with such a new meaning that the one you can Google if you want a definition. Because when you get your answer, you may think that's all there is. But it stretches out far beyond that. Further than the horizon. Further than the sun, I remind myself.

Even though my siblings are here, and even though there is not the same serenity, I feel peaceful and happy inside. I'm focused on the horizon and the sunset. I watch the sun go down, past the water. The horizon is beautiful. I wouldn't want to be anywhere, but here in this moment looking past the sea but to the horizon.

February 23, 2022 20:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.