Masked

Submitted into Contest #60 in response to: Write a post-apocalyptic romance.... view prompt

0 comments

Romance Mystery Creative Nonfiction

Hunted by fear has been my order, I wished life had been so fair to me. If I'd choose another life after this, I'll choose never to be me at all.

Ever since I was a kid, I hadn't been such a happy kid, either I was into one trouble or the other or I was jealous that I'm not like other kids. I ended up covering my face with my hoodies that way I won't feel that I ain't beautiful like other girls. Lee, my twinnie use to believe I was just been silly by covering my face but I didn't really care, cus none of his words ever mattered to me

Hey, no one talks to me about me life because I rule me, and all so even as my twin brother, you have no right to tell me things about me...with the little love I have for you, I'll like to warn you never to get involved in my life, okay??, I say to him each time he approached me.

"Lena", my brother called.

Mom is finally coming back from work at last and I feel we should do something surprising for her, Lee said

"Okay then", tell dad and when you guys have concluded what to do let me know, I replied him coldly cus those things were never in my mind.

Like who the heck is she that she should be welcomed like a queen. A mother that left her children with a father to take care of, or a mother that nearly knows her children from the crash, oh please, ya'all should spare me the sermon of celebration of an irresponsible mother..I said in my mind, I wished I could say it out loudly so everyone can hear me and know how much I hate her.

Next day...

Lee and dad already planned what to do so I'm only meant to assist in the decorations...not too long mom came but she still had to pass the stairs before getting to the house. I went outside to meet her their, I had a motive...

"Mommy!', I shouted as I jumped on her.. unfortunately....we fell together through the stairs, next thing I saw my self in the hospital.

Dad?? What I'm I doing here? I asked dad. He sat beside me, I guess he has been here for some days.

Where is mom?, I asked like I cared.

You should ask your silly self that question and get your answer if your mom survive the accident you caused, he said and walked out.

"Is it my fault she is coma?" Atleast I wanted to be nice, duhhhh, I said after him. I was so pissed off, if anything happens to mom, I'm definitely gonna be blamed for it. Shissh, my life was never made to be happy.

In the evening, I went to check on mom, let me know how she is fairing.. I couldn't believe my eyes when I got there. The doctor was already covering her head.

Doctor, why are you covering her face?, she won't breath well you know, I said while suspecting something.

You need to calm down, I'll like to see your dad and tell him the situation on ground, the doctor said as he was about to leave.

Ohhh please tell me what's wrong and forget the suspense please!

Your mom...emm your mom..he was stammering.

"Yes my mom?"

She is dead! He said sharply without thinking how I'll feel.

Please tell me something else, how is she, she will be fine in how many days?

I wondered why I cared so much but at this moment I knew how much I loved her.

Take heart my dear, he said and left. I immediately called dad to tell him what was going on.

Ever since then, my life has been more miserable, dad barely talks to me. Atleast lee managed to forgive me and encouraged me that it wasn't my fault. I wish he could tell dad that. I was still happy within me because she somehow deserved her death.

The next day..

I was in my room lying down thinking of my life then he walked up to my room..with anger he dragged me and tore my clothes, he said he had urges and I was the only one he had to settle it with..I struggled but he seems fo have domain over me.

After he left, I felt dirty, stupid, stinking, irritating, I can't even express it..the more I thought about it, was the more I wanted to get rid of him too like my mom.

Holiday was over, so I have to go resume school but frankly, I was not interested in it one bit, why? You will know why..frank as usual, he has always been on my neck for my name.

He also wanted to see my face, only if he knows how ugly I am plus the beating and bruises I receive each day of my life after mom's death..

School resumes..

People greeted each other like they were happy to see themselves, I was not really happy cus I had no friend to greet, no one talks to me cus no one has ever seen my face apart from lee and dad. Teachers tried to punish me to make me pull off my hoodie bt still I did not change my mind. Instead I yelled and walked out.

Arrrgh! I still have to sit at the front of frank.honestly, he is handsome and good-looking, I should love him but I don't deserve love one bit and even though, I always hurt people around me so I'm not interested.

"Hey masked" he called me, he has always been calling me masked ever since I refused to tell him my name..

I did not reply him, I was ready for classes, that's if I even listen. I was the fullest in my class, I don't even care looking at my score cus I'm gonna be the last.

lena! The teacher called me, i was so angry cus he called my name and made people know my name. Everyone always call me masked too so people looked around wondering who would be lena, I gave up and stood up for his recognition.

Ohhh masked has a name.. lena..Frank said from my back. I was so angry like right now but I wouldn't do anything.

Your grades are bad, so you have to take an exam to promote to this class, he said openly..I was so embarrassed.

After school..

Lena! Lena! Wait up..frank called from my back.

I finally stopped to hear the crab he had to say

I can teach you extra classes if you will need it for the exams

Thanks, I won't be needing it, I said and was about going. He grabbed my hand making me to turn and face him.

I want to help you, why are you just so blunt. No one cares if you promote or not but I care, that's why I wanna help, he said angrily.

Is he the one to be angry or me..he grabbed me like my dad always do when he wants to rape me..ohhh did I mention dad has been the one raping me and beating me since, he did all those out of hatred for me, I understand, I killed his wife so, I reasoned.

If you want to help me fine!! I wondered why I said that but it was the first time I felt someone cared for me.

After schools, I'll follow frank to his house for lessons, I dare not go to my house cus of dad.

I ended up telling frank the reason why we can't go to my house and the reason why I had my hoodie up always..he was still interested in seeing my face so I promised him one day I'll show him.

I now became very comfortable with him, I could tell him everything that was wrong with me even mom's death, he did not blame me at all so I was free with him. I did not know if it was actually turning to love but i knew I liked him.

Valentine day was finally approaching, it never meant anything to me cus no one ever wanted to be my val so I acted normal

Finally the day came, I felt happy but I did not know why. Frank did not really talk to me that day but I did not bother cus we will still be at his house for lessons. After school as usual we went to his house together.

Ain't we gonna celebrate Valentine, I mean you and me? Frank asked.

I've never celebrated it before so I don't know how it looks like, whereas valentine is for lovers and we are not.i said.

Who told you we are not lovers, except you don't want me, he came close to me holding my waist.

I wondered why I did not stop him from coming close but I really wanted it.

Then be my girlfriend and let's do something, he said to me

I did not even utter a word before he started kissing me.

Now you are my girlfriend, no lessons today, we're gonna get you dressed and go for the valentine party. But while you are dressing, you ain't gonna use your hoodie hmm?

Okay fine, let's go, that was all I could manage to say. I wanted to try something new, something different. There and then, I realized my past wasn't good but who said I don't deserve a good present.

Frank took me to a female boutique to buy a dress and took me to make my hair and makeup, he wasn't there while I was dressing so I removed my hoodie and dressed up, while I was done, I walked to where he was bowing my head..when he saw my coming closer, he stood up...

Wow! So you are this beautiful. You hid this beauty from me ever since right? Now I'm angry..but seriously, you look like an angel in Human form. Now let's go girl.

We went to the party, I couldn't dance so I just drank till I was drunk, frank too me to his house..

Being drunk, I invited him to sleep with me since I was his girlfriend.

Our relationship went so well and sweet, I barely went home cus it would always spoil my mood.

Years later, I and frank were still together but he began to fall sick often, he finally told me he had cancer and he was gonna die in 7 days time.

I was so bittered like seriously..when I was beginning to enjoy life, the life is about to go..I encouraged myself and took my dreadful fate...I told frank I'm ready to marry him, if it's gonna be a 7 days marriage but I wanna feel like I'm his legal wife, I wanna make those 7 days memorable. He agreed later after hesitating.

Throughout the seven days, we played, laughed, had sex, went out like nothing was happening.

On his last night, we slept together, I had hope he was gonna survive, we kissed and he told me his final speech like he knew the hour had come, he made me sleep on his shoulders till the next morning...

I woke up quickly to check if he was alive but I was caught by shock..he later died. Seeing in the bed made me remembered mom's death. Then I knew that no one was meant for me.

We buried him days after and everybody went to live their different lives but my life was gone.

September 18, 2020 17:10

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.