5 comments

Fiction Thriller Drama

This story contains sensitive content

The crickets sang in harmony on a humid Thursday night outside of Glendale Apartment Complex’s apartment C9. The television flickered out of the open blinds as Daniel studied from across the street. His target was a man named Edmond, a car salesman who pissed off the wrong wife’s husband. Daniel took no pleasure it what was to come but he was paid for a job, a job he intended on completing. He climbed up the stairs to the third floor of the C building until he reached apartment 9, this was not a problem for Daniel. He was in shape, great shape, he ran three miles every morning after a cup of coffee and a piece of avocado toast. He took great pride in his health as one should in his profession. He knocked twice on the door labeled C9. When a man, Edmond, answered the door in his boxers with an outline proving Ed to be well endowed, Daniel was momentarily distracted. 

“well… it’s no wonder she wanted to sleep with you’’. Visibly confused Ed responded, “Excuse me?”, just then Daniel Jabs him under that jaw with an injection of ketamine sending Ed into a sound slumber. Catching him before he hit the ground like a sack of potatoes, Daniel laid him on the floor of the living room. While waiting for his target to wake up Daniel sits in the recliner and flips through the TV channels. 

Edmond starts to stir a little and Daniel walks over to close the blinds. With the blinds closed he sits the now tied target on the couch. “if you scream, I will kill you. Nod if you understand.” Nodding and drowsy Ed came back into consciousness. “I am going to peel the duct tape off and we are going to have a chat. Remember you start to make noise, you die.” Little did Edmond know he was already marked for death. 

“Wha-what’s this about man?” grunting Edmond tried to figure out why he was in the situation he was in. “Well, Edmond!” Daniel cuts the TV off, to kill the last living light in the living room. “You haven’t been a very good boy… Do you know Victoria?” Edmond furrowed his brow concentrating. 

2 / 4

“Victoria Rubble, wife to Jameson White Rubble. Well Ed, it turns out… you and Mrs. Rubble have been playing a little too hard if you know what I mean. Some how Mr. Rubble found out. Now Ed… I am not one to judge a man’s actions, I am not God.” “Are you fucking kidding me? That stupid slut fucks any man that will pay any attention to her as soon as that husband of hers leaves the house. I am not the only one Mrs. Rubble is ‘playing’ with.” Was Edmond’s rebuttal. “Be that as it may, Edmond Travis is the only one Victoria was caught ‘playing’ with.” With one hand motion Daniel threw a handful of photos at Ed’s feet. 

“I… I can… can’t believe that bitch photographed me.” “Wait a minute Ed, these were given to me by James” Now it was time for Daniel to be confused. “NO NO NO! Jameson is too damn… he’s so fucking stupid his wife fucks seven men a week and he is none the wiser. You think out of everyone, I would be the only one Jameson or any investigator would catch with photos?” “Maybe he’s hired other contractors for the others?” Ed’s laughter exacerbated by the effected of the ketamine took Daniel off guard. “Look dude…” “Name’s Daniel not dude. And you look, don’t take this personally. I am just doing a job. He offered $350,000 dollars for your heartbeat.” More laughter followed, “I’m sorry du… Daniel. Do you think that rich asshole is going to put out over $2,000,000 in hits over a mediocre whore? I was in the process of breaking it off with her. The guilt started to overwhelm me.” “You just called him a rich asshole why would you feel guilty for pegging his wife?” Tied up with a worsening headache Edmond started to realize the serious of his situation. “I can’t believe… oh GOD! I am about to die over a lady I didn’t want to see anymore. I was feeling guilty because of their son Timothy. I realized that it wasn’t just a marriage I was stepping in between. But a kid’s heart we were stomping on. She was furious, because when Vickie wants something, she gets it. It had nothing to do with me being me. She likes to feel in control. She told me she would find away to make me pay. Just fucking kill me already DUDE!’. 

“Well Ed, maybe you’re right. However, I was paid for a job and I haven’t completed it yet. So, I know what you are thinking. You’re thinking that I am going to rot in Hell for what I am about to do and 

3 / 4

maybe you’re right. But that is not for you to say because only God is my judge.” He points a silenced walther ppk at Edmonds chest. Breathing heavily and crying Ed groaned out, “oh…GOD FORGIVE ME” Daniel implanted two rounds into the chest and one in the head of Edmond Travis killing him. He lay still tied up on the couch. Daniel took a minute to pray over him. Daniel tied up some loose ends and headed out the door leaving apartment C9 of Glendale Apartment Complex forever. 

Victoria Rubble had just finished her evening meeting with another one of her flings when she decided she needed some ice cream. Leaving the store to head home she got a strange feeling she was being watched in the distance. She assumed she was just feeling guilty again for screwing around on the man that had made her a rich woman. They married young and being the naïve woman she was she singed a prenuptial that stated if she willingly left the marriage, she would not receive anything in a settlement. That was okay at the time because she was truly in love with Jameson. After years of marriage and a child together she started to realize that money was the only thing on James’s mind which she couldn’t rightly judge him for since she only stayed for the money. She got to the threshold of her front door when she felt that feeling again. Turning around scared Victoria felt a sharp pain under her jaw before passing out. 

Coming out of a ketamine induced sleep she woke up duct taped and tied to the kitchen table. “Hello Victoria. My name is Daniel. Your husband Jameson hired me to kill one of your many boyfriends. He doesn’t know me, so he won’t know I was here when this is all over, but we have to talk.” He threw the pictures he had taken of Edmond on the floor near Victoria. She studied them unsurprised at the photos of the dead man whom she had just slept with days prior. “It has come to my attention that you have made a hobby out of lying to your husband…don’t worry he doesn’t know what you do. Well he knew about Ed but that is because you told him, well you send him photographs, isn’t that right Vickie?” Victoria starts to cry, scared for her life. “you sleep with a man and them make your husband kill him. I am not one to judge but that pisses me off. I don’t like hypocrites. I hope it comes as comfort to you to 

4 / 4

know, James did not want you to be hurt. He was heartbroken. He’s clueless and only cares about money so I don’t know if he loves you, but he made it clear that he loves his son. Maybe I shouldn’t take a boy’s mother from him, but GOD IS MY ONLY JUDGE!!” he shoots her once killing her instantly with a heart shot. He ties up some loose ends and leaves the Rubble household forever. 

January 24, 2022 17:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

Barbara Burgess
09:17 Feb 03, 2022

An interesting story with a good theme. Do you use Grammarly for checking spelling and grammar. It is free to use. Also leave your work for maybe a day and then go over it again for errors. Try changing the size and type of font as then your eyes will not be used to what they read. Good effort but needs some work in the editing department. Writing is about editing and editing and editing - unfortunatley. Well done though.

Reply

Hunter Bright
20:05 Feb 03, 2022

Thank you for your honest feedback. First time writing in a decade. I did this story at work (probably a mistake). I thought I had edited a lot better but I am happy I was able to get an idea out there. I appreciate the feedback on the errors.

Reply

Barbara Burgess
08:39 Feb 04, 2022

First thing is, well done. So many people think about things and never take action. Well done for taking action. The more you write the better you will become and to be quite honest you will get better each time until you are 90! We never learn it all but improve all the time.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
T.M. Kehoe
04:11 Feb 03, 2022

It could stand some serious editing. You have typos, misspellings, and you keep slipping tenses, from past to present and back. Interesting idea, but I'd go over it again a few more times.

Reply

Hunter Bright
20:05 Feb 03, 2022

Thank you for the feedback.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.