41 comments

Fiction Science Fiction

Sulien, Lighterdome.

Project Ignite, day eleven.

Dovey, Bianca.

Female.

Age: 15.

Threat level: 0.

_____________

“Biana... BIANCA!”

Bianca snapped out of her stupor, glancing up from her drawing that lay on the desk before her. Her father was watching her with an exasperated expression.

“Sorry,” Bianca mumbled. She had a tendency to zone out when someone was talking to her, often getting herself in trouble. “What did you need?”

Her father huffed. “Go get some outside time, you’ve been inside too long.”

Bianca sighed. “Can I go to the general store? I need to get more art supplies.” Her father nodded and a few moments later, Bianca was walking out in the summer sun. She held her notebook as she walked, carefully sketching her surroundings. Her braid swung as she accidentally bumped into someone. They frowned and called after her, but she was too busy to hear.

Before she knew it, she nearly slammed into the store wall. Bianca tucked her notebook under her arm and entered. The cashier lit up as she entered. “Hi, Bianca! Are you back for more supplies?”

Bianca smiled back and nodded, turning into another isle.

_________

Retrieval in action...

________

She had only spent fifteen minutes browsing when she heard a helicopter roar overhead. Ignoring it, Bianca sifted through the pencils. It got louder and louder, drawing everyone’s attention.

The cashier walked out the door, peering upwards. Her eyes widened and her mouth fell open. She ran back inside.

“It landed on the roof!” She exclaimed. Bianca swallowed, her heart pounding and her big brown eyes even wider then usual.

“That’s odd,” Bianca said, trying to keep her voice from breaking. “Was there a recent burglary that the police would want to investigate?”

The cashier shook her head, but when Bianca mentioned a burglary, a thought appeared in everyone’s minds.

Just as the cashier turned to lock the doors, there was a grinding, buzzing from above. There were a dozen people in the store, their eyes were all fixed on the roof where pieces of tile and roofing were falling to the floor.

Suddenly, the cashier recovered from her initial shock. “everybody out!” she screamed. “Everyone out, now!”

Eleven people and the cashier ran out, oblivious to the fact that that Bianca still stood frozen in the art isle, staring at the ceiling where a circle was forming. It fell and smashed on the floor. Bianca flinched. Seconds later, two men jumped through the hole, landing with a thump.

Bianca nearly shrieked, stopping herself just in time.

The two men wore masks over their mouth and nose, black, bulletproof clothing and carried guns. Their eyes glittered in the flickering lights as they searched the room. Bianca shifted nervously, clutching her jean jacket in sweaty hands.

Unfortunately, the instant she moved, their eyes snapped to the isle she stood in. Bianca gasped and turned, preparing to run.

The men were advancing, guns out. One of them split off, went around and effectively cut off her escape route. Bianca huddled down on the ground, frightened tears running down her freckled cheeks.

She heard voices, harsh and buzzing. She covered her ears, face contorted with fear and her heart pounding out of her chest. She felt a twinge of pain in her thigh, ice rushed through her veins and she collapsed.

________

Retrieval successful...

________

Sulien, Lighterdome.

Project Ignite, day 13, last patient.

Jagger, Wish.

Female.

Age: 17.

Threat level: 0.

Retrieving now...

____________

Wish sobbed as she ran.

She was almost an adult, but she couldn’t have felt younger as she fled her family and her life. She was supposed to be perfect, like everyone else everywhere, but she wasn’t. Every girl wore the same clothes, acted the same, looked the same. The same went for the boys.

Everyone was perfect.

Except Wish.

Finally broken by the world’s scorn, Wish ran and then, something blissfully imperfect happened.

Wish was kidnapped.

They came in a black helicopter. They didn’t wear starched, stiff clothing, they acted differently, but they shot her with a dart, evaporating all posotive feelings towards them. But, as she collapsed, Wish couldn’t help but feel slightly happy something different had happened.

__________

Retrieval successful.

_________

Featured in this story: Lady Loki as Bianca and anonymous as Wish (But I know who it is)

I hope ya'll enjoyed!

April 23, 2021 20:32

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

41 comments

AntMan 🐜
19:26 Apr 26, 2021

I heard you were leaving😥 You have NO IDEA how much I'm going to miss you!💖 Just so you know, I am reading EVERY SINGLE STORY you are going to put out! I just wanted to say that it was really, really, really fun to be your marvel mate for the first like, 8 months on Reedsy. I hope the wind always blows in your sails, monsters never find you, Apollo never plague your city, and the words always be on the end of your pen as you continue to write. Farewell, and may you start each day knowing that I have your back, no matter what! 💖

Reply

Creed .
19:31 Apr 26, 2021

thanks. I'll miss you too, my marvel mate. I'll be active for another week or two while I finish the series I started, but then I'll be leaving.

Reply

AntMan 🐜
22:22 Apr 26, 2021

😓😔Thank you for being with me through my first half-year of Reedsy! I'll make sure to keep checking for new stories!😊

Reply

Creed .
14:11 Apr 27, 2021

After I reply, I'm deleting my account.

Reply

AntMan 🐜
14:26 Apr 27, 2021

😓😥It was really fun knowing you. I wish we could spend more time together, but if you ever want to talk, you know how to find me😭

Reply

Creed .
14:31 Apr 27, 2021

seeya, marvel mate.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
TJ Squared
02:17 Apr 26, 2021

btw, I take google forms pretty seriously, so ofc I would see your comment ;) could you be a little more specific in your question of "where is the general area that you live in?" How specific? also, yeah everyone is saying that my question of 'any last words?' is making them feel like they're about to die or something XD. I never knew it would have that affect XDDDD

Reply

Creed .
14:56 Apr 26, 2021

Ok, that is totally a creepy question, just forget I even asked that. 😬😬 Just sometimes I get lonely, wishing I had a fellow writer my age near me, but I guess that's not a good way to find one. And yeah, last words sounds like death. oof. Lol.

Reply

TJ Squared
15:11 Apr 26, 2021

it's okay. I don't mind. You seem older than me, just saying. But I'm in CA (and I want to move so badly).

Reply

Creed .
15:21 Apr 26, 2021

You seem like you are at least thirteen. Aw, man. You don't live near me. :( Ok, this has nothing to do with what we are talking about, but it's about downvoting. I opened my account today and saw I had been downvoted at least a hundred points or more, but the funny thing is, I don't care! I believe the downvoter is poking fun at us because they think it's cool to see people talking about them everywhere and if we don't say anything about being downvoted, maybe they'll stop. Just a thought.

Reply

TJ Squared
15:55 Apr 26, 2021

You must win guessing games a lot...I'm that plus 1 (year). oof. hm...Interesting thought. I never thought that they like the popularity...

Reply

Creed .
16:04 Apr 26, 2021

Read my bio.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Also I so enjoy this story, I hope you don’t take my questions and ideas negatively. I’m excited!

Reply

Creed .
01:31 Jan 10, 2022

Thank you! Oh, I don't, I smile every time I see a comment because it's good feedback and encouragement!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Okay, this has got to be Killian Berec doing THIS Project Ignite, right? RIGHT??? Because Rune, Clint, Keila, and Jethro got there by applying violent and sudden force to the little transporters (or whatever they’re called) that Tyrene planted, right? And then these guys are supposed to combat the Embers? And stuff goes wrong and they have to try to retrieve their gone-to-the-good-side teammates? BUT this says the location is “Sulien, Lighterdome”. Tyrene calls it the Edendome! Did Killian somehow wrest control of the facility from Tyrene?! ...

Reply

Creed .
01:29 Jan 10, 2022

Unfortunately, this story has no connection to Genesis. Though, this comment has got me wondering; could that ever happen? Could Killian ever take over P.I.? hmmmm.....

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jay DMer
18:10 Apr 28, 2021

I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU'RE LEAVING (OR LEFT). Idk If you're gonna see this, but you're such an amazing writer, and thanks for being such a great friend? We never put a title on it, but you are truly a good virtual writer friend. Best of luck ~Jay <3

Reply

Creed .
20:49 Apr 29, 2021

hey, I'm really trying to be inactive, but I saw this. thanks you for being my virtual friend. I feel like this is a good choice for now. I need a real, in-life friends. As of right now, I only have one and she is my cousin. so, for now, bye.

Reply

Jay DMer
16:29 Apr 30, 2021

Yea I really understand you. I'm being inactive too (like my bio says). Honestly, everything you said is true. Virtually doing everything and cause of not going off because of covid sucks. Wish we could be irl friends.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Somegenius Kid
03:29 Apr 25, 2021

Oh!!! You changed your name!!! I like, "Whisper ." Although Bucky Barnes was cool too!! I loved this story btw!!

Reply

Creed .
00:38 Apr 26, 2021

Thank you! I see you changed your name too.

Reply

Somegenius Kid
04:02 Apr 26, 2021

Yea!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

I just want to say, you do such a wonderful job developing characters! You described how the characters were feeling in great detail, but it wasn't boring, not one bit! :) ( Thanks for using my character idea, that's really cool of you! )

Reply

Creed .
01:08 Apr 25, 2021

Thank you so much! I try to include everyone in some way.

Reply

Angel {Readsy}
17:32 Apr 25, 2021

Well; whisper is not a cool user name; because I read whispering is by sorry to say

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Angel {Readsy}
15:30 Apr 24, 2021

I answered all riddles, when will you change new one

Reply

Show 0 replies
Angel {Readsy}
15:11 Apr 24, 2021

Wish was unconscious. Right

Reply

Show 0 replies
Angel {Readsy}
15:10 Apr 24, 2021

, but they shot her with a dart. Is she really dead ?

Reply

Show 0 replies
TJ Squared
03:47 Apr 24, 2021

yayayayyayaya wait...why am I liking them getting captured XDDD I think it's my dark humor side lol, it's been showing recently. another great story Whisper ;) one tiny error: "Her braid swung as she accidentally bumped int someone." I think you mean 'into' :) Over all, great job again :)))) L.W.

Reply

Creed .
01:07 Apr 25, 2021

Thank you! I really hate the series so far, but maybe it'll be better. Oop! I'll fix it right away!

Reply

TJ Squared
14:17 Apr 25, 2021

oof. Maybe the action will make it better ;) ;]

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sunny 🌼
01:59 Apr 24, 2021

Yay, more project ignite! I've been waiting for this

Reply

Creed .
01:07 Apr 25, 2021

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.