2 comments

Coming of Age Fiction Speculative

Lost and Found

Suzanne Marsh

The days following my Aunt Toni's funeral, were hectic for me. Aunt Toni was the family historian; in other words the junk collector of the Martin family. My Mom, Jenny hated going through family papers; she decided it would be easier for her to have me do it. Aunt Toni 's desk was one of the last things I went through. Mom, had dropped me at Aunt Toni's while she finished several errands. I opened the big bottom drawer, where her files were kept. I went through the folders, most contained receipts that were older than I am. The last folder labeled twins caught my attention. I opened the file, there in black and white I discovered I was a twin, I had a brother somewhere. I continued to read. I have Mom's last name Martin, we both did. I noted that his name was Thomas. There was no Father's name listed.

Mom arrived later than expected; she was in a miserable state of mind. I knew that if I confronted her at the moment, she would scream, become defensive; no I would have to choose my time. I thought about what it is like to suddenly discover I have a twin brother. Were we Fraternal or Identical? I recalled watching U Tube several weeks ago, there was a person searching for a son. Maybe Mom had a change of heart. Why did she keep me and give up my twin brother. What was he like, nice or miserable. I was determined to find him now: no matter what the consequences.

I was ready to leave before Mom arrived; I would have to keep this discovery from her while I savored the idea of a twin brother. I was not the only child as Mom had stated so often when I was a teen. Why had she put my brother up for adoption? Maybe he was disfigured or unhealthy. This did not make sense.

The following morning I left for work earlier than usual; Mom was still in bed she rarely rose before nine o'clock so I took advantage. I stopped at Harper's Paper Factory and purchased a white board with black trim. I also bought a black magic marker. I had decided I would go on Face Book and U Tube with my sign. I then proceeded to my job at Twila's Gift Shop, where I worked. Twila opened and I closed every night. I smiled at her as I entered the front door.

Time seemed to crawl all day. I couldn't wait to close at seven o'clock; that board was beckoning me. I drove home through the rain that arrived earlier in the day. Mom, had dinner ready. Baked chicken, stuffing, green beans, it smelled so good. I hurried through dinner. Mom, watched me curiously:

"What is the rush to finish dinner Tammy, have you got a hot date?"

"No Mom, I had a grueling day at work; I just want to take a nice hot bubble, then go to

bed."

I was never really good at lying to Mom, but I had to find my brother and the best way to do that was to get on Face Book. I waited until I was sure Mom was watching television. She had several shows she enjoyed; this would make things easier, I had done some research on how to get onto Face Book and U Tubes. I quickly sneaked out the back door. Went to my car; opening the trunk, with all the stealth I could manage. I removed the items I purchased that morning; then returned to my bedroom. I hoped I was doing the right thing. I wanted to know why, who was my Father, who our Father was. Why hadn't Mom told me about my Father and Brother; what could she have kept hidden these past fifty years?

I thought about what I wanted to say, I had seen things like looking for my Brother, or Sister, it seemed simple until I stared at the blank board. It stared right back at me. I gathered my thoughts, set my cell phone on camera. Then I hastily wrote:

"I was born in Fate, Texas on January 21st, 1970 to Jenny Martin. I am looking for my twin

Brother; Thomas Martin. Call: 901-992-5545 ask for Tammy."

I shot the photo of myself holding the board. Submitted to Face Book and U Tubes. I hoped I would receive an answer from my twin Brother soon. Curiosity killed the cat I hope it did not kill me. I had to know. I looked in the mirror, saw a middle aged woman with dark hair, deep blue eyes and laugh lines on my face. I wasn't laughing at the moment. I really wanted to confront Mom now;l but something told me to wait. This was not the right time. I decided to see if I could find any Thomas J. Martin on the web. There were five listed, one was a Medical Doctor, another a lawyer, another an inventor. None were my age. I was disappointed but decided I would not give up. My next thought was perhaps I should check birth certificates in the registrars office, my birth certificate was located there so why not my twin. The odd thing was that there was no Father listed on my birth certificate.

The following morning I arrived at the Registrars Office. Mrs. Hardy, who had been the Registrar for what seemed my entire life, she must have been at least eighty. She tottered over to the counter:

"Hello Jenny, what can I do for you?"

"Mrs. Hardy, may I please see the birth certificate for Thomas J. Martin."

Mrs. Hardy looked as if she had seen a ghost:

"Jenny, I don't think there is one for Thomas J. Martin."

"Mrs. Hardy, I found Aunt Toni's file labeled twins. Why won't anyone tell me the

truth?"

"That Jenny, is up to your Mama, no I can't tell you."

Now I was upset, I was walking out of the Registrar's Office when my phone rang. It was not a number I recognized. I answered:

"Hello"

A deep voice replied:

"Hello Jenny, my name is Thomas J. Martin. I believe I may be the Brother you are

seeking."

I damned near dropped the phone:

"Yes, please continue."

"I am an attorney in Monroe, Louisiana. I saw you on U Tubes, you appeared to look

the same way I do. The only difference is you don't have a dark beard."

I stood in silence staring at the phone as he continued:

"I will be in Dallas next week on business. I would like to meet you if that would

work."

I squeaked out a small yes. In a small voice I asked"

"Who is our Father?"

The voice on the other end replied:

"I was adopted by a family here in Monroe. I retained their last name until I was twenty

one, when I discovered that I was adopted. I have been trying to find my family."

"Well, you found her. I live with my Mom Jenny Martin."

"I don't understand why Mom never told me."

"I guess we should ask her when I arrive. Where can I meet you?"

"I gave him the address."

Monday evening the door bell chimed. I opened the door, there stood my identical twin. Mom, was watching television. We walked into the living. I cleared my throat, it was not necessary. Mom, her clear blues stared as if she had taken a step back in time. I was afraid that this was to much for her, she turned paled, as tears began to flow down her lovely face:

"Oh dear God, what have you done Tammy?"

"Mom, this is Tom Martin, my Brother, your Son."

"Why didn't you tell me years ago I had a twin Brother?"

"I caused enough of a scandal when I became pregnant."

We both cried out at the same moment: "Who is our Father?"

"I never told you Tammy because I could not keep Thomas, yours and Thomas' Father was

Mayor Michael Hudson. He begged me not to ever tell anyone. It would have cost him

his wife, children and career. He, as you know went on to become a Senator. I am so

sorry Thomas and Tamara. I loved you both from the moment I saw you both, so I kept

Tamara against my Mother and Father's wishes. I have kept silent all these years because

I also loved Michael very deeply, that is the reason I never married."

Thomas stared at me as I stared back, it was like looking in a mirror, except I wasn't the bearded lady.

February 06, 2021 02:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Kate Winchester
04:24 Feb 12, 2021

I liked your take on this prompt and I enjoyed your story. While I like the humor of not being a bearded lady, I do agree with the other comment that male/female twins cannot be identical. That doesn't mean they can't have similarities, but they wouldn't be identical. Keep on writing! You have an impressive amount of submissions :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Francis Perez
01:29 Feb 12, 2021

Hi: You have a great story idea. I definitely wanted to know if she found her twin. Your character inspired a lot of empathy, and her story felt true and believable. There are a lot of structural and format errors that detract from the story. For example, during the dialogue with the clerk you switched the main character's name with another character. There are several typos throughout the story. A few examples are Face Book instead of Facebook, U tubes instead of Youtube. Also, I believe that female/male twins can only be fraternal and ne...

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.