0 comments

High School Romance

My worst fear had become a reality. Jessi had invited me to the party. Just so you know, Jessi never invited me to parties,we had bad blood. I never cared that she didn't invite me because I wasn't much of a party goer. But this had a scheming plot twist written all over it.

 Suddenly, she invited me to a party she was throwing for Tony after she had found my love letter I had written to Tony last week during final rehearsals for the music fest and had boldly told me she was dating Tony and he had no interest in me whatsoever. 

Yeah, even a five year old would know this was odd. It felt like she wanted to mark her territory with Tony and put me in my place. 

I didn't want to go. I really didn't want to go but it was a celebratory party for Tony becoming a brand ambassador for a sports brand. It was a huge deal for Tony and Tony was nice to me. I had to put aside my feelings and congratulate him.

Tony transferred to our high school at the beginning of 11th grade -we were currently on vacation for completing 11th grade - after his father got reappointed to a branch of his company here. He rose quickly to become the star of the basketball team and every girl's heartthrob. 

He was six foot five with rich brown hair and beautiful dark skin. His eyes were brown and dreamy and his lips were thin and perfectly sized. His smile could melt even the hardest of hearts. Despite his popularity he was kind and humble. He didn't judge people based on looks and popularity so people loved him more. 

I didn't take notice of him because I really wasn't into all that type of thing, not that I wasn't into guys but I never really cared about looks or popularity - I didn't have either - but how a boy could make me feel. I figured he would be an obnoxious bully because he was popular but he wasn't. 

We grew closer while volunteering at a children's talent centre. I volunteered to teach the children the guitar and he coached their basketball team. 

I remember the first time he spoke to me. I was playing the guitar in the centre's garden away from the children and the volunteers because I wanted solitude, then he walked up to me and said "that's beautiful". He flashed that smile my way, warm and kind and I could feel my heart do a backflip. I was speechless for probably 60secs before he said again "I hope you don't mind if I sit and listen to you play". He sat while I played and that little period meant a lot to me. Which brings me to the reason why Jessi and I have bad blood. 

Jessi and I both played the guitar though Jessi's skills weren't all that good, she had the looks and the popularity that sold tickets so Jessi always got to play at the schools music fest and other shows with me playing behind the scenes while she pretended she was the one playing. She just played the guitar because it made her look classy and sophisticated, she had no regard or respect whatsoever for the art. 

You see I'm not the prettiest girl in the room and I don't really have a presence that stands out. Plus I'm kind of socially awkward. Jessi got to get all the glory - though I was happy to just play without feeling pressured with so much attention - but she still hated the fact that it was actually me, my playing the people were so in awe of. "don't kid yourself, people come to See me not because of your stupid playing but because it's me behind the guitar" she'd say after every single performance. 

I spent a lot of time with Tony during volunteering and I got to know a lot of things about him. Things like how his parents were lovely people who supported him in whatever he did, how he first met Jessi in a summer camp when they were 12 and how their mothers were friends so Jessi visited a lot during weekends and holidays.

He valued his relationship with her "she's very sweet" he said once when I asked him to describe Jessi. It felt like he was talking about a different Jessi. I didn't want to be petty and reveal how mean and heartless she was just because I didn't like that he thought she was sweet. 

I had written the love letter because I wasn't sure how he felt about me. Yes he loved to hear me play and hang out with me, he said I had the prettiest laughter in the world but I wasn't sure if that translated to him having feelings for me. He rarely talked to me at school because he was either with Jessi or the team. I wanted to be sure but then Jessi had assured me that that wasn't so.

He hadn't called me to check up on me despite the fact that I hadn't been to the centre in days, I guess that proved that I didn't mean much to him. 

I was going to breeze in and breeze out of the party, you know just congratulate him and leave. 

But I still wanted to look different, at least make an effort so he knows that I too can be girly. Not that I thought he cared but I would do it for me, to feel good about myself. I shopped for new clothes and shoes and made an appointment with the hair stylist. 

The party was glamorous but good old Jessi just like I thought had planned to humiliate me. The party was sports themed but she'd left that part out and made me dress up like I was going to prom. Everybody stared as I walked past, whispering and snickering. I almost made a run for it to avoid humiliating myself more but I stayed because I came to congratulate Tony and I wasn't going to let Jessi's scheme get in the way of that. 

There were  posters of Tony with a basketball everywhere and a section for people to write their congratulatory messages on. The cakes were designed as a basketball and Nike shoes. It was a buffet service party with lots of drinks supposedly non alcoholic but people always seemed to get drunk at parties like this. The decoration was simple but classy with gold and White ballons and flower garlands decorating the walls. There were basketballs hanging like balloons too. The party was both indoor and outdoor. She decorated the garden just as beautifully as she decorated inside. Jessi definitely did a lot to throw this party. I had never been to one of her parties but I knew this was the best one yet.

Everyone was having fun, I just stood in a corner to avoid people's attention and wait for Tony's arrival to present my gift and leave then I saw Jessi walking toward me. I wanted to avoid her but I knew she'd search for me again. 

"I'm glad you could make it", she said smiling that pretentious evil smile of hers. 

"thanks for inviting me"

"no problem. You're gonna wait till the end right?" Why Was she asking that, I thought to myself. What was she scheming? 

"uhm… I'll just give Tony my gift when he arrives and leave, I have things to do"

"you can't do that, the order of the party has to be followed and presentation of gifts come nearly at the end, so you'll have to stay till the end, it's going to be fun". What order of events was she talking about I thought, she really meant to annoy the living hell out of me.

"I didn't know there was an order of events", she passed me a paper showing the order of events. It said a big announcement before the presentation of gifts. It was just like I feared, they were going to announce their relationship, not that anyone would be shocked, people speculated it already because Jessi stuck to him like glue and he didn't seem to mind. 

"now you know… well see ya". She turned and left. Maybe I should just go. I could give him the gift at the centre. I was about leaving when Tony arrived, he spotted me and smiled at me. He was about walking toward me before he was surrounded by a crowd of screaming students shouting his name and the guys in the team lifting him up in the air. Well it was too late now, he had seen me. 

Jessi practically held him hostage, she didn't let him go anywhere without her. It looked kind of petty, she shouldn't have to be so all over him. If I didn't know any better I'd have said she was throwing herself at him but she had no reason to, he obviously liked her too. 

I stayed clear of the crowd and just sat in a corner watching the drunken behaviour of some of the people. Thank God I didn't drink any of the drinks. I just wanted to stay put and wait till it was time to give Tony his gift. 

The Mc called Tony to address the crowd and make a song request. 

" I saw a friend here tonight, a really talented friend and I would love for her to do me the honour of playing a song for me. Just so you know she has the most amazing voice I've ever heard. Lilah… " he pointed my way "would you give me this gift? " he did not just do that!, everyone turned in my direction. I was sure many of them didn't even know who I was. I stood up and walked awkwardly to the stage. I could see the surprised look on their faces, I'm sure they were thinking, how does he know her?. He smiled at me when I got on stage and handed me a guitar. I could see Jessi giving me a cold stare that could probably freeze the pacific. 

"Just do you," he mouthed. I felt my fingers go numb, my heart was pounding really fast, it was like I was having a heart attack. There was no way I could do it not with all those eyes staring at me, some looking like they would rip me apart. But then I saw him smile at me and signal with a thumbs up and I suddenly felt confident. 

I sang with my eyes close, deciding to confess my feelings through the song, even though he might not know I was singing to him. I chose to sing baby by Justin Bieber. I loved how the song described my current situation with Tony. About him thinking we were just friends and all when I obviously didn't think of him as a friend. 

Everyone applauded after my performance ended, some girls still had a frown on their faces but they clapped anyway. I knew I had a good voice and that I was very skilled with the guitar but I had only played in front of the children at the centre, my mom and Tony, so I wasn't sure if they would appreciate it since it was me behind the guitar, but their applause boosted my confidence. Some people approached me to tell me how good I was and ask why I hadn't participated in any talent hunt or the school's music fest but Jessi pulled me away before I could speak. 

"what do you think you're doing? " she glared at me. 

"I didn't plan it, Tony asked me" I said in my defence

"and suddenly you can now play in front of an audience? " I was as shocked as she was, I didn't think I'd be able to do it. 

"look, I don't …" she cut me off before I could continue

"So were you going to reveal to everyone  that it had always been you behind the scenes while I pretended to play?. Don't get your hopes up, this changes nothing. Tony likes me and we're announcing our relationship today… you know what, I think you should just leave. It was a mistake inviting you today". She sounded nervous, I wondered why. Tony suddenly appeared from behind

"that's enough jessi", he said angrily

"Tony look… "he raised his palms to the air signalling he didn't want her talking. 

" I heard you guys speak on the day of the music festival. I wanted to wish you luck before you took the stage. That's when I figured it out. I knew something wasn't adding up. You could play the guitar but you weren't nearly as good. But I just thought maybe you had improved. You're my best friend and you've always been there for me. I wouldn't trade you for the world but this isn't you. I know the kind of person you really are." what did that all mean. He'd heard us talk, that meant he knew about my feelings but had totally ignored it. Here he was drawing the line and openly confessing his love to Jessi right in front of me. He just wanted to be friends, but he was obviously in love with Jessi. I ran out of the room but he ran after me. 

" Lilah wait ", he grabbed my shoulders in front of the crowd. Tears were glittering in my eyes and I didn't want him to see my tears. I didn't even know why I was crying, I felt silly. I turned around slowly to face him. 

" just please, I don't want to attract any attention " i said my voice croaked with tears. 

" Too late for that ". I could feel the smile in his voice. He placed his hands on my chin and lifted my face so my eyes could meet his. The warmth in them made my knees wobbly. Everyone's attention was on us. 

"I love you too" he smiled and placed a kiss on my forehead. I didn't understand what was going on. Didn't he just confess his feelings to Jessi by saying he couldn't trade her for the world?. 

" but. . . I thought. . . " he placed his fingers on my lips to shut me. 

" that I had feelings for Jessi?. Jessi only acted that way because she noticed I had feelings for you probably because I kept talking about you. And yes I read the letter you threw in the bin so don't even bother denying it ". He drew me closer for a hug and I could hear the exasperation and sounds of surprise people let out. " Jessi is just a friend but you're my soul mate." I couldn't keep the tears from rolling, he wiped it with his thumb and bent his head to place a kiss on my lips. Applause rose from the crowd, and Jessi angrily stepped out of the party. If stares were knives then I probably would have gotten stabbed by half of the girls there. I didn't have to see it but I could feel it. I didn't blame them, Tony was a great catch and I was. . . so so. 

I was glad I came. I didn't want to but it had ended up being a party I'd never forget. The perfect party. The Dj started playing Versace on the floor by Bruno Mars and everyone cleared the dance floor till it was just me and Tony in our own world. I won and Jessi had lost. 

May 13, 2021 18:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.