18 comments

Gay LGBTQ+ Romance

MOONLIGHT LOVERS


They say travelling to England is worth it for many things, mainly because of the scenery and the people and their politeness. According to Google, “British etiquette dictates courteousness at all times”, and during his time in London, Blair recounts no one ever forgot to say please or thank you. I delight at the thought.

But it’s relatively believable since I feel Blair has become politer these days (though he already is very polite) and much happier. He has yet to inform me why this is the case, but I suppose anyone would be after a month on holiday. Oddly enough, it feels like yesterday I was dropping him off at the airport, wondering why he was taking off for the United Kingdom so suddenly. 

“Eli,” he had said a week before the trip. “I’m headed to London in a week and don’t particularly wish for company. I hope you can understand this and that I’ll be back in two weeks,” What does one say in response to such a comment? Nevertheless, I let my lover venture away as I enjoyed the house in comfortable silence. The flowers bloomed splendidly, the neighbours had their firstborn in the second week, and my younger sister had recently become engaged to a man named Christopher, who seemed to be very knowledgeable about the Cold War. All was well.


~


“So, what was the best part about your trip?” Blair’s mother, Amanda, asked as we sat at their dining table. The feast laid out before was delectable like usual; Amanda always had a knack for cooking. Her husband, Robert, seemed to agree with this sentiment, eating away as his son talked.

“There were so many things,” Blair hummed. “But I suppose there was one thing I enjoyed more than the rest,” Amanda perked up at that, as did I. “I met this woman,” my boyfriend began. “She had a lovely personality and was my tour guide for most of my trip. She led us, myself, two women and a family of four, around the city and showed us the most wonderful parts of London,”

“The usual landmarks, I suppose?” Amanda queried. “Big Ben was so fascinating to see in real life. Very grandeur. Wasn’t it, Robert?” Her husband only nodded.

“What was her name?” I added curiously, eager to hear everything about his holiday.

“Emelia, with an E,” Blair smiled. “She made the trip much more exciting,” 

“That sounds lovely. Now, did you get us any gifts?” Amanda teased, making Blair grin.

“Of course I did. How could I forget? Give me one moment, alright?” With that, he got up from his seat and headed to the front door, where his bag was.

“I’m thrilled he enjoyed himself,” My partner’s mother sighed contently. Looking around warily, she suddenly leaned over towards me. “Eli, do you know the reason for Blair’s trip? I understand you didn’t go with him. Did something happen?” At this, Robert seemed to inch a little closer.

“Well, I was hoping you were the ones who knew the answer to that. He told me very suddenly, and before I knew it, I was driving him to the airport. When we arrived, he kissed me goodbye, told me he loved me and hurried off to the gate,”

“Blair has always been,” There was a slight pause. “A free-spirited type of boy. Perhaps he wanted some alone time,” she suggested.

“I don’t mind, honestly. I’m just glad he had a good time, and he appears to be happier. I trust him,” I replied as Blair returned, holding three parcels.

“For you, madam,” he handed Amanda a package with brown paper with prints of bows on it. “This is yours, sir,” The rectangular box wrapped in black was passed to Robert. “And for you, my love,” Blair gestured and handed me my gift. “Open them, and tell me what you think,” Without a moment’s hesitation, his mother carefully unwrapped the present. 

“Oh, Blair! This is gorgeous,” Amanda gasped, pulling out a beautifully woven magenta scarf. “The colour is exquisite,”

“I’m glad you think so,” he beamed. “The two women on the tour helped me pick it out,”

“Thank you, Blair. I love it,” She hugged him tightly as Robert set down the box for his gift.

“Looks nice,” he commented sincerely. He was holding up an elaborate-looking, custom-made tool I didn’t fully understand. But Robert thanked his son with such enthusiasm for a man of few words; I could tell he liked it.

“Your turn, Eli,” Amanda prompted, and I nodded. With much less elegance than my boyfriend’s mother, I ripped open the package with silent curiosity. Prying the box’s lid open, I gazed at the antic books stacked neatly on each other. With gentle examination, I flicked through the contents with much delight.

“Thank you,” I said with as much gratitude as possible. “It’s perfect,” As I kissed his cheek, Blair gave me an unreadable look. 

“You’re welcome,” he replied, sitting back in his seat.

“Now, shall I get dessert?” Amanda queried. “I made your favourite, Blair,”

“You never miss, do you?” He said with another smile as his mother got up to go to the kitchen.

“Tell us more about the trip,” Robert suddenly requested. 

“I stayed at this very unique hotel. It was small and quaint but exceptionally cosy, and it was located above an old bookstore where I got Eli’s books. Somehow, it was incredibly charming, and Emelia said we were very fortunate to have been able to get a vacancy,”

“It sounds like you became good friends with Emelia,” Robert remarked, casting me a wary look.

“Yes, quite. She told me she loved the tour guide business and was much too invested in helping others to look for a boyfriend,” Blair chuckled. I thought Emelia sounded like a liar.

“Dessert has arrived,” Amanda placed four plates of apple pie on the table. The scent of warm apples and cinnamon suddenly became nauseating, and I choked back a gag.

“Thank you very much,” Robert and Blair thanked, and I echoed back my response faintly. The four of us began to eat, the only sounds in the room being the clinks of our forks and the occasional satisfied hum. 

“Blair, you must tell me, what was the rest of your trip like? What did you tell these two while I was gone?”

“Nothing, really, Mum. I visited a great many places, all with much excitement. The two women, Janice and Riley, were from Finland, and the family of four were from the United States. I told them about home and made good company with them all. The Lisbourne children were very well-behaved,”

“Enough to want kids yourself?” Amanda teased as I felt the seat below me melt away. I could feel my heart contracting, and whatever symptoms came with an overwhelming sense of dread.

‘You’re just overreacting, Eli. Communicate with Blair, like you always do. It’ll be fine. It’s just a woman. We’re gay, for crying out loud.”


The meal concluded a short while later, with Amanda requesting Blair help dry the dishes.

“You stay right where you are, Eli. My son can afford to complete a chore or two,” she insisted as I tried to get up. I waited for them to finish, talking with Robert, who animatedly began to recount his days in university and his love for mechanics and literature. Our shared interest in books eased my anxiety until Blair returned and announced it was time to go.

“Thank you for having us,” I thanked Amanda as she embraced me warmly. 

“You’re most welcome, Eli. Please come again soon. You’re like our second son by now,” she requested with a wink. Blair thanked them too, and with a clap on my back from Robert, my boyfriend and I left his family home.

“That was fun,” Blair mused as we clambered into the car. “Did you like my gift?”

“Of course I did. Now all that awaits me is home and a warm blanket so I can read them comfortably,”

“Sounds perfect,” the drive continued in a strange, uncomfortably comfortable silence, the gentle lull of jazz music playing in the background of our journey home. 

‘Just ask him, Eli. It’s not that hard.’

“Blair,” I cleared my throat awkwardly. “I was just wondering, why did you go to London?” I paused, trying to read the expression that was on my lover’s face. “Did I do something wrong?”

“What?” He burst out in shock. “No! No, you didn’t do anything wrong. Not at all! I’m sorry if you felt like you did. I promise everything is okay,” he reassured me, casting me an honest look as we stopped at the red light.

“Oh, okay,” I mumbled, feeling stupid. 

“Is this about Emelia?” He asked, turning left instead of our usual way of right.

“Sort of? I trust you wholeheartedly. You know I do. I don’t know, it just… Hearing you talk about someone I’ve never met with such fondness was foreign. It sounds dumb. I’m sorry,” We turned left again, the road becoming a gravel path that ventured into several rows of fields.

“We’re stopping here, Eli. Hop out for a second,” Blair informed me, and I did as requested, following my partner out of the car. Together, we walked out onto the field, the moon illuminating the grass so we could see. Slowly, Blair held out his hand. “Eli, look at me,” he whispered. I took his hand but failed to meet his gaze. “Please, Eli,” he pleaded, and I gave in, looking into his green eyes that were brightened from the car’s headlights. “We’re not anything, Emelia and I. I’m sorry I took off so suddenly. There’s a reason for it, I promise. She was helping me with something,”

“Like what?”

“It’s embarrassing,” Blair groaned. “Look, Eli, the truth is, I went to London to get something, and she helped me locate the right store because I couldn’t find it for the life of me,”

“Couldn’t you have asked me? I’ve been to London before,”

“I know, but this was… different. Besides, I couldn’t ask that of you, especially when you were so busy with work,”

“So?”

“Close your eyes for a second,”

“Okay,” I replied, my hand suddenly jarringly cold as Blair let go.

“Keep your eyes shut, okay? I went to London because what I was looking for wasn’t here. And I wanted to get it for you, so I had to catch the soonest flight before the shop owner went on holiday, “ he sucked in a breath, almost nervously. “You can, um, open your eyes now,” My eyes fluttered open, looking at the sight before me in awe. “Your books were a side gift. This is the genuine present I wanted to give you,”

“What are you doing?” I managed to choke out, my eyes watering as Blair knelt before me, his hand encasing the open ring box cupped in his palms.

“I love you, Eli. I’d run to London if I had to if it meant seeing the look on your face right now. Frankly, I don’t think I’ll ever stop loving you, and if it means pulling over into a field just to propose sooner, I’ll do it a thousand more times to show you,”

“You weren’t planning to propose here?” I asked meekly.

“No, silly,” he chuckled. “I had it all planned out once we got home. But you looked so solemn in your seat; I don’t think you even heard what I said after you said you were sorry,”

“What did you say?”

“I said there was nothing for you to be sorry about and that you looked so vulnerable I wanted to kiss you,” Blair poked my arm gently. “Will you say yes, or shall I kneel here forever? My jeans are getting dirty,” His teasing was soft, almost as if his voice was formed of wisps of clouds. I laughed, rubbing at the corners of my eyes before melting into his touch and kissing him. 

“Yes,” I answered firmly. “Yes, a million times if it means being with you forever. But don’t scare me like that ever again, got it?”

“Yes, sir,” Blair saluted. With his tender touch, my boyfriend slid the iridescent ring onto my finger before handing me his. “Can you put it on for me?”

“I’d love to,” I breathed, mirroring his earlier action. “We’re engaged,” Simultaneously, we held our hands up to the moon, the silver beams making the rings glow in the night.

“You’re one step closer to being stuck with me forever,” Blair spoke, delighted. 

“Oh, how will I go on?” I taunted jokingly. We stood there, smiling like fools, and I couldn’t help but notice the almost halo-like glow surrounding my lover from the headlights and moon rays alike. The moment nearly felt like a façade, Blair looking scarily much like an angel descending from above.

“What are you looking at me like that for?” My fiancé prompted.

“I was just thinking you look like a moonlight lover,”

“A what?” 

“A lover in the moonlight. Someone who’s in love with moonlight,”

“No, I’m in love with you,” 

“Goodbye,” I turned on my heel, cheeks flushed, and headed towards the car.

“Eli, wait! I’m sorry, that was cheesy. Waaaait,” he appealed, his footsteps heavy and rushed as he chased after me. Suddenly, a cage of arms clamped around my stomach as Blair spun me around.

“Blair! Put me down,”

“Say it first,” he requested.

“Say what?” I asked in a sing-song voice.

“Don’t be like that,” he mumbled, jabbing my sides playfully.

“Okay, okay. I love you,” That earned a smile.

“I love you too,”

“Good, now let’s go home before one of us trips in this field. The grass is so long; we might get stuck here forever,”

“I wouldn’t mind that,” Blair announced. I shot him a look. “But, I guess we should go home now. Good idea, Eli,”

“Come on, you dork,” I rolled my eyes. “You’re lucky I’m hopelessly in love with you,”

“I should hope so.” he beamed.


They say travelling to England is worth it for many things, mainly because of the scenery and the people and their politeness. According to Google, “British etiquette dictates courteousness at all times”, and during his time in London, Blair recounts no one ever forgot to say please or thank you. However, that’s the typical story most people will tell you. Sometimes, it means getting engaged to the love of your life in a field showered in the moonlight. But that’s only if you’re lucky, and I was fortunate enough to be. 

May 24, 2023 10:16

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

18 comments

Zack Powell
17:37 May 24, 2023

I love how you interpreted the prompt, Jasey. Clever bait-and-switch where we think, despite all odds, Blair might have formed some kind of bond or even a relationship with Emelia (great name, by the way). But nope! Just something of a misunderstanding, a case of Eli understandably making a mountain out of a molehill. And I thank you for that, because I would've had far too many questions if the Blair/Emelia tryst DID actually happen. Your dialogue is lovely, as always. The characters talk like real people, and they act as such too. The las...

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
01:33 May 25, 2023

I'm starting to think the bait-and-switch technique is a repeating theme around here. Is that a good thing? Guess you can be the judge of that. Making a mountain out of a molehill is correct. Poor Eli, a case of an overthinker. Honestly, I don't think I could have even made Blair and Emelia work. In another universe, maybe. Thank you, as always. My little secret is that I'm always proud of my characters being more than just words describing a name. Maybe they're real people who decided to tell their story to me, so it could be written down....

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
19:05 Jun 01, 2023

HI JASEY DO YOU REMEMBER ME XD

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
09:19 Jun 02, 2023

KAO CRIMSONSTAR !! Of course I remember you, my friend :) How are you, Sythe?

Reply

15:26 Jul 09, 2023

not me turning up more than a month later- im good :D what about you, how have you been?

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
16:40 Jul 10, 2023

That's okay ahahah Glad to hear it! I'm alright; happy to see you back :)

Reply

11:19 Jul 14, 2023

<3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
15:27 Jul 09, 2023

APOLOGIES FOR THE DELAY

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
16:40 Jul 10, 2023

NPPPP

Reply

15:45 Sep 08, 2023

Jaseyyyy! Hello again lmaoo. I made another quiz (you may remember the last one) and I so want you to do this one too! It's kind of a story kind one lol, i think you'd like it :)

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
02:51 Sep 20, 2023

Hey Sythe !! nice to see another message from u :) Sure, I'd love to do it; is it on ur bio? <3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply

i love british people this is literally my comfort story (NEW CHAIN !!)

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
07:39 Jun 30, 2023

What a way to describe it pls Cel I love it The other chain made my laptop lag that's how long it was going for plss Also love the new name :)

Reply

HEHEEHE OMG :O thats both cool and terrifying !! tyty :DDD also i see you filled out my form >:) tokyo falls under the category of... drumroll please... ALL OF THEM!!! okay well not exactly but tokyo's ability comes from both the exceptionals and physicals, because of their ~backstory~ sad thing is, they're the only one that has that power because their tribe was... uh... 😭 ALSO ALSO ILYT MWAH <3 HEHE IM SUPER EXCITED TO WRITE EUTW: THE REBOOT i will be looking out for that side story 👁👁 >:)

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
11:47 Jun 30, 2023

Like everything kinda just froze and it was partially loaded- The system couldn't handle it ahahaha OOOH that is very exciting :o I really didn't know who category to choose but I'm glad you have a rough idea of where it sorta fits Yeah.... the tribe.... If you don't wanna write the backstory for their downfall I'd be more than happy to come up with some ideas to help u out <3 💋💋💋💋 Once it comes out, I'll be ready ;)

Reply

our conversation was too powerful hehehe hehehe yeah i planned it when tokyo first appeared :D and now i can make them a very strong character because of the ~possibilities~ >:> omg yes pleaaaase <3<3<3 im always open to new plot ideas!! ❤️💋💋💜💜 ;D

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
00:35 Jul 01, 2023

It definitely was ;) Oooh okay that's very exciting to hear, I'm looking forward to said ~possibilities~ I'll start drafting up some ideas, and I'll reply to this message later with what I come up with <3 <3 <3

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.