22 comments

Suspense Fiction

My name was called out loud and anxiously. Everything depended on me, and if things didn’t end well, then we were doomed for failure. I took a deep inhale and closed my eyes, sensing the warm sun and feeling the cool summer breeze blow across my cheeks. If I didn’t score, it would be over. There were already two outs and if I didn’t get a miracle of a hit, then we would be done for. As I rose from the bench, I felt the complete and utter weight of my impactful odyssey rest on my shoulders. The future of my team was depending on my successful return back to the bench. With this in mind, my legs turned into jelly and my feet sunk into the mud but it also gave me an extra push of motivation which I appreciated.

As I embarked on my long quest from the dugout to the plate, I felt all eyes on me and I forced my head to clear all thoughts of concern, which was easier said than done. My breathing was shaky and I sensed that my heart was pounding so loudly and rapidly that everyone in the grassy field could hear it. Everyone was still: the crowd, my team, the opposing team, the umpire, and even the snack seller. It was like the whole world had taken a deep breath and was waiting for me to determine the fate of this game until the world could go round once more. My eyes observed a blue sparrow take flight as I walked up to my destined fate. I yet again dismissed all feelings of uneasiness and mentally treasured the presence of the sparrow, one of my good luck charms, which allowed my mind to become a little more at ease.

When I reached the plate, which felt like it took an eternity, I focused my eyes on my opponent. Butterflies were generating pandamonium in the pit of my stomach and I knew that I had no authority over them. I was shaking from both excitement and fear, but fear was definitely winning this battle. I cleared my head and focused again on the task at hand. My troubled and anxious mind was like an unwelcome visitor whose sole purpose was to constantly inform me on the gravity of the situation. After swatting the unwelcome visitor away, it was time to place my eye on the prize: which was to score a single run. I knew that there was a very fine line between hitting the ball or not, winning or losing, and it was all up to me to change the outcome of this game.

I shuffled the dirt beneath my cleats to ready myself, mentally and physically, attempting to hold onto the still before the storm as long as I could. To further delay my acquaintance with the pitcher, I tightened my grey colored gloves and straightened my ruby helmet onto my head which covered my long sandy hair. I knew I had waited too long when the umpire blew his whistle for me to hurry it up. I firmly planted my two feet in the white box and prepared to take my first swing at fortune. I had a tight clutch on my bat and I was slowly losing circulation in my hands, but I didn’t care, it was only up to me and the pitcher now. I blocked out the rest of the world because nothing else mattered but the two of us. Like two wolves circling before a battle, we two boys were waiting for the other to strike, sizing each other up and staring the other down. It was going to be a fight between the fittest and only the fittest would come out victorious. The pitcher began to wind up as I raised my bat. The crowd leaned forward and gasped as the ball was thrown in my direction. I swung and thwack! My bat and entire body vibrated as the ball soared just over the pitcher's head. The ball was rising faster and faster through the air.

After I hit the ball, I was in a daze and couldn't recall what had happened until I heard a voice, probably my coach, roar out my name ordering me to run, and run fast. I shook my head, dropped the bat, and ran. I ran with all my might and never once looked back at the ball I breathed life into. As I sprinted around the diamond, I felt as if I had truly taken flight and sprouted wings. My adrenaline was surging through my body, accelerating my heart rate and pushing me to my absolute maximum. I reached first base. I couldn’t believe I had made it that far. Then it was the second one! A player stood blocking my way. I ran around them and ran past third base.

Undeterred by my pulsing adrenaline, I could hear the crowd chanting my name and cheering. LET’S GO ALEX, LET’S GO! The chant pushed me beyond my fastest speed limit and it felt like I was traveling at the speed of light. I was closing in on home base so quickly that the greenery and crowd were blurred from my vision and my eyes were beginning to water from the wind stinging my face. I was nearing home base and my feet were barely touching the ground beneath me. I was five yards away from the base, then two yards, then five feet, and then I was there. My team rushed out of the dugout to congratulate me, the crowd cheered, the umpire cried out, “SAFE!” and my ear drums were throbbing. My parents and sister hugged me tightly and showered me in endless kisses. I couldn’t believe that I had done it. After all this excitement, I felt like I deserved a good night’s sleep and a bottle of warm milk with a chocolate chip cookie, too. After all, I thought, it isn’t everyday that I get to play in the Pee-Wee Baseball Tournament.

December 31, 2020 21:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

22 comments

Izzie Q.
15:04 Feb 20, 2021

hi hi!! this opened with a super great hook, i love it!! i look forward to reading more of your stories!

Reply

Valerie June
16:02 Feb 20, 2021

Thanks so much for reading my story! This one was a pleasure to write. I’ll make sure to check out some of your stories, too.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
TJ Squared
01:14 May 24, 2021

wow, talk about suspense XDDD the imagery here was flawless and amazing. I could literally heard the 'crowd' chanting those 5 words lol. It is literally relatable to every baseball player, as Phoenix said. Alex is a nice name :) L.W.

Reply

Valerie June
03:54 May 24, 2021

Yesh! I love exaggerating my writing and building suspense. I want to write another story like this, but I'm still waiting for the right prompt and idea to pop up... Aw, thanks! I didn't realize the prompt said the event needed to fit inside 10 seconds. If anyone asks how this story is possible my answer is this: Alex is the Flash's son. Deal with it. XD

Reply

TJ Squared
03:56 May 24, 2021

XDDDD that works lol

Reply

Valerie June
04:04 May 24, 2021

Haha, yes! He goes -zoom- around those bases.

Reply

TJ Squared
04:07 May 24, 2021

XDDDD yesh

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Phoenix LaRue
17:36 Apr 25, 2021

I'm sure every baseball player can relate to this story. You described the pressure really well, and the part where Alex was running around the bases was honestly thrilling. Someone give that man a cookie! 🍪

Reply

Valerie June
19:54 Apr 25, 2021

I want to try writing another story like this; a fast, action paced and full-of-adrenaline one. I stretched the prompt a lot (heck, there's no way a kid could hit a ball and run the bases in 10 seconds flat unless he's the Flash. Then again, maybe he's the Flash's son...) Don't get any ideas that I'm into Marvel though because I'm not. I barely know some of the superheros' names! 🤣

Reply

Phoenix LaRue
23:20 Apr 25, 2021

I encourage you to try it again some time. Due to the fan-fiction, I can say from experience that it's boatloads of fun! 🚤 Son of the Flash. Huh, that's a big secret he's got to keep! And don't worry, I barely know anything about Marvel, either.

Reply

Valerie June
00:56 Apr 26, 2021

Your fan-fiction series is so fun to read and the suspense you create... you better not give me a heart attack from it! My brother likes watching the Marvel movies, but I barely understand who's who and by the time I do, a new character is introduced. There's always some romance that gets in the way and then it ends happily (almost every time.) This sounds emo-like, but I promise you I'm not that. It's just that every since discovering the word "tragedy," I fell in love with it lol. I think the reason why I like Shakespeare's tragedies is be...

Reply

Phoenix LaRue
23:06 Apr 26, 2021

Well, I hope you have a strong heart, then! I've got some plans for that team. . . Heck, I feel like life is almost never like that. Like you have to be really lucky to get a happy ending -- and a lot of people don't, even if they deserve it. I suppose producers, writers, etc. create all those happy endings for those of us that want one (for ourselves or others) but will probably never see it happen.

Reply

Valerie June
00:13 Apr 27, 2021

I think I can handle anything they go through lol! All these 'happy endings' might just be there to sustain hope that things can, will, or might get better. Focus on the positive, they say. Believe that there are happy endings. Hide the truth; they'll learn someday that life's not all smiles and rainbows. "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning how to dance in the rain." I like this quotation or any other inspirational ones in general!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.