Snapshots of the Past

Submitted into Contest #14 in response to: It's a literary fiction story about growing up.... view prompt

0 comments

General

Amber watched the couple at the next table out of the corner of her eye. They looked young, older than Amber's fifteen years--college kids probably. The girl had long red hair and green eyes. Amber usually thought red heads were ugly, but this girl was pretty. She didn't have freckles and her eyes tilted up slightly at the corners, giving her an exotic look. 


Amber's parents were quietly arguing again, like always. Amber felt a knife twist in her gut. Their divorce seemed inevitable. Amber tuned them out  and shifted a little closer to the other table to eavesdrop slyly on their conversation.


"I'm just going to take a few pictures then I will be back. I promise I won't leave you by yourself for too long. Thanks Molly." He leaned over and kissed her cheek.


Amber smiled wryly and her eyes felt damp as she remembered how her mom and dad used to be cute and kissy  like that, a long time ago.

November 09, 2019 00:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.