2 comments

Christmas Friendship Inspirational

 “You’ve seen that girl, Brenda Sullivan from school? Well, I want you to get to know her and see if you can’t get her to like me,” Terry stated.

“You mean that weirdo Goth girl that’s always wearing black, leather outfits? You crushing on her. I mean, yeah, she’s pretty but all that black makeup, it’s a bit much,” Lilian commented.

“Yeah, maybe I am. So. Promise that you’ll at least try,” he stated.

“Okay. I’ll get close to her and see what I can do. But you gotta know that she’s the one that has to like you too. If she doesn’t. Then I don’t know what I could do to change her mind. Fair enough?” she said.

“That’s all I’m asking,” he said.

Over the next few weeks Lilian made friends with Brenda. It turned out that she had noticed Terry and that she did like him. She was just too timid to talk to him.

A few days later Terry asked Lilian what she had found out with Brenda.

“I’ve seen you two talking at school. What have you found out? Does she have a boyfriend? Does she even like me? Spill it,” he stated.

“Ooo. You got it bad for her. Cool it. She’s single. No brothers or sisters so you can’t play that angle,” she answered.

“Damn,” he said.

“Don’t give up so easily. She’s liked you since you were in the seventh grade,” Lilian stated.

“Really? Cause that’s how long I’ve liked her for as well,” Terry confessed.

“I’ll let her know. Then it’s up to you two to take it from there,” Lilian offered.

**************************************

“Do you have plans for Christmas Brenda? Or do you and your dad make special plans?” Anna asked as she sipped her coffee.

“We usually go over to my Aunt Doris for Christmas. We eat dinner, visit with relatives and then open presents,” Brenda replied.

“Is Doris your dad’s sister?” Anna asked.

“No maam. She’s my mom’s younger sister. But I don’t know if we’ll go over there this year now that dad has Phyllis. We’ll probably just go out somewhere to eat on Christmas Eve day and then stay home on Christmas day and open gifts,” Brenda explained.

“I see. Well, if it’s okay with you and your dad, you can come over here on Christmas day. It’s just going to be us,” Anna offered.

“Don’t you go out to relatives?” Brenda asked.

“Not this year. My brother – in – law is spending a few days with his wife's side of the family,” Anna answered.

“I’ll have a talk with my dad and then let you know Mrs. Jones,” Brenda said.

“Good enough,” Anna said and then went in to grab some more coffee.

A few days later Lilian and Terry got the Christmas decorations out. Terry set up the tree and then went outside to hang lights. He was about two thirds done when Brenda drove up.

“Looks nice honey. You almost done?” she asked as he plugged them in.

“Just about sweetheart. A few more strings out here, set out the lighted deer in the front lawn and then we’ll do up the tree inside,” he replied.

Brenda helped Terry with the lawn deer, a buck and a doe and then they went inside. Lilian had started on the tree but couldn’t get it to look right. Terry just wrapped the lights around it while Lilian and Brenda put on the bulbs and other decorations. Lilian was trying to strategically place the tinsel in the tree, but it wasn’t having it.

“Here! You just toss it on. Wherever it sticks is good enough,” Brenda said and threw some tinsel at the tree.

“Wow! That does look good,” Lilian said and then just started tossing more tinsel on.

They had the tree all dressed and it was time for the topper. Star or Angel? They decided on the Angel.

“Now. Who gets to put it on top?” he asked as he looked at Lilian.

She looked back at him and then they both nodded, and Terry handed it to Brenda just as their mom walked in.

“Oh you guys. You got the tree up, and the outside looks wonderful too,” Anna said as she hung up her coat.

“Yep. And Brenda was just about to put the Angel on top too,” Lilian said.

“Terry always put the topper on it. Are you sure?” Anna asked.

“Yes. We discussed it and it was a unanimous decision to let Brenda do it,” Lilian stated.

“That was nice of you,” Anna said as she got out her camera.

Anna took a few pictures of Brenda putting the Angel on the top of the tree.

“A new one for the scrap book. What were you planning on for supper Lilian?” she asked as she put her camera away.

“She got pizza. The ovens heating up as we speak,” Terry stated as they stood back and looked at the tree.

“Well, it looks good. I better put the pizzas in the oven. Thanks for the help with the tree Brenda,” Lilian said as she headed for the kitchen.

“Set the timer light. We can always cook them a little bit more. But you can’t undo burned,” Terry suggested.

“I know how to cook, Terry Crocker. Let’s see now. Two pizzas at fifteen minutes each… That’s thirty minutes, right?” she said.

They all had to laugh at that one. After supper they played some cards until it was time for Brenda to head for home.

“OH, yeah! I talked to my dad about Christmas Mrs. Jones, and he said it would be okay if I came over. Just as long as I wasn’t intruding. I told him that you said it wasn’t a bother at all,” Brenda said as she put her coat on.

“Oh, that’s wonderful,” Anna said as she straightened out Brenda’s coat collar and then gave her a peck on the cheek.

Terry walked Brenda out to her car. He kissed her good night before she drove off into the cool winter night. Lilian put the leftover pizza in the fridge and tossed the paper plates into the trash before heading up to bed. Anna was waiting by the door when Terry walked in.

“You really like this girl, don’t you?” she asked.

“Yeah! Isn’t it obvious? We love each other very much,” he said as he hung up his coat.

“Yes. I can see that. Have you two…?” she started.

“No mom! God. We want to wait until we’re married. If we’re still together by then. Sheesh,” he said turning fifty shades of red.

“I have a feeling that you two will be together for a very long time. You get along so well,” she said.

“I hope so mom. Good night. I love you,” he said as he headed up to bed.

“I love you to. Good night,” she said as she turned out the lights and headed for her own bed.

The next day Terry put some wrapping paper on some empty boxes of various sizes to fill in under the tree. Then he went out to the workshop to put some finishing touches on a couple of projects that he had been working on.

Terry and Lilian got the house ready for Christmas and then Terry went out to the workshop to get the presents that he had been working on in secret. He put them behind the tree and then went up to his room to get the other gifts that he had gotten as well and he put them in the stockings that were hung by the chimney with care. The doorbell rang, twice, it was the postman with a couple of boxes. Christmas gifts no doubt sent by relatives. They had sent their packages out weeks ago. He put them by the tree and turned on the Christmas lights both inside and out. He had put a kettle on the stove earlier and set some cinnamon sticks in it with some water to boil. The house smelled all Christmassy. Terry was making hot cocoa and Lilian was upstairs doing some last-minute straightening when their mom got home.

“Hey mom. How did it go?” Terry asked as he took her coat and hung it up.

“Okay. They sure didn’t need me there. But I got my day off. Hmm. The house smells nice,” she said as he handed her a mug of hot cocoa. “Okay! What did you do?”

“Nothing. We swear. It’s Christmas and we love you. And I came up with the idea of boiling cinnamon sticks in water to give the house that festive smell,” he explained.

“It looks great and smells good too. Thank you,” she said and then sat down on the sofa.

“Where’s Lilian? You haven’t got her tied up in the closet, have you?” she asked.

“No mom. I got her buried up to her neck in the backyard,” he joked.

“You shit," she said and then grabbed his face and kissed his cheek. “What time is Brenda getting here in the morning?”

“Eight am,” he replied.

“Good,” His mom said.

It was late so they all went to bed. The next morning Terry finished his shower, dressed and went downstairs. Terry found the girls talking about him when he entered the kitchen. He kissed Brenda, his mom and then Lilian before grabbing the milk and cereal and sitting down. After breakfast Terry took down the stockings and passed them out. Mom’s, Lilian’s and for him and Brenda, a pair of pantyhose. They got a laugh out of that. It was time to open the presents from under the tree. Terry passed them out until they were all gone. Lilian started. She opened the gifts from grandma first, a dress and some earrings. She opened the gift from her mom, a new jacket. Terry got her make up and perfume and Brenda gave her a gift certificate from an upscale clothing store in town. Mom got perfumes and jewelry from everyone. Brenda received perfume and CDs from Terry and Lilian, and a lifetime pass to stay over anytime she wanted to from Anna and some perfume. Terry got some new tools and clothing. They were sitting around thanking each other for the gifts when Anna spotted some presents pushed behind the tree into the corner.

“Whose gifts are those?” she asked as she got up to check them.

“I think those are just for looks. I saw Terry making them up the other day,” Brenda offered.

“No! It says that they’re from Santa and they’re too heavy to be empty boxes. And they have our names on them. Me, Lilian and you too Brenda,” Anna said as she handed them off.

After handing out the gifts, she sat down, and they opened them. Anna opened hers and she started crying. And when Lilian and Brenda opened theirs, they started crying. Terry had gone into the kitchen to put the turkey in the oven and was watching from the doorway. He had hand crafted, felt lined jewelry boxes out of Walnut for each of them. Their first names were inlaid with contrasting White Ash and polished to a mirror finish.

“I swear. You girls make the biggest fusses over wooden boxes,” he said from the doorway.

“They’re beautiful and priceless. Come here,” Anna said as she wiped away her tears.

Terry went into the living room and received hugs and kisses from each of them. They sat around talking as they played cards while waiting for the turkey to get done. When it was ready, they sat down to turkey with all the trimmings, and pies, cookies and bars for dessert. They ate until they couldn’t eat anymore and then sat down in the living room to rest and digest. Terry built a fire and Anna made nonalcoholic eggnog. They turned out the lights and sat by the glow of the Christmas tree and fireplace while they drank their eggnog and listened to Christmas music.

They sat there chatting until it was time to go to bed. Lilian went up to her room but not before giving Terry another hug and a big ole kiss on the mouth and thanking him for the gift. Anna did the exact same thing a few minutes later. Terry and Brenda sat on the couch kissing and talking for a while longer. Brenda pushed Terry down on the sofa and snuggled into his arms and held him tight.

“Thank you, Terry. Those handmade gifts were better than any store gotten gift we could have ever received. You are a very special and rare man,” Brenda said as she kissed him.

“How so?” he asked as he kissed her cheek and rubbed her back.

“You give of yourself without even realizing what it means. Any son, brother or boyfriend could have gone to a store and purchased fine jewelry boxes. But you actually went out and drew them out and built them from scratch. You put thought, passion and love into each and every one of them. They are not just empty wooden boxes. They are full to overflowing with the love that you have for your family and now me. For that we are, and will be, eternally grateful. I love you more than words can say,” Brenda said and then kissed him.

Anna had been listening to the two of them talk from just inside her bedroom door. When she heard what Brenda had to say, she dropped to her knees and wept openly. She could not have expressed her feelings any better. Brenda fell asleep in Terry’s arms and soon he too was sleeping. Terry woke to the smell of bacon frying. Brenda was still snuggled into his arms. A blanket had been draped over them sometime during the night. He heard mom and Lilian in the kitchen and as he stirred, Brenda woke up.

“Morning sleepy head,” he said and then kissed her.

“I wouldn’t talk to loud there mister. You just woke up yourself,” Anna said from the kitchen.

“I’m sorry for falling asleep on Terry Mrs. Jones. I didn’t mean too,” Brenda said.

“Better you than me again. So. Who’s hungry?” Lilian asked.

“Thanks for the blanket mom,” Terry said as they sat down at the table.

“It wasn’t me. Don’t worry about it, Brenda,” Anna said as she sipped her coffee.

“I came down last night to see what was keeping you and I found you sound asleep, so I covered you up and went up to bed,” Lilian explained.

“Thank you, Lilian. You’re the best,” he said.

“You’re doing it again,” Brenda said and then she kissed him.

“Doing what?” he asked as he took a bite of his eggs.

“You see and understand the good in people and you’re not afraid to point it out. That’s why I love you so much,” Brenda stated.

“I think that’s why we all love Terry so much. He’s always had a lot of empathy towards others,” Anna said as she kissed his cheek and then put her dishes in the sink.

“Yeah. Well, I blame you mom,” he said as he put his dishes in the sink and hugged her.

“Thank you for the compliment, Terry. And thank you for the jewelry box, thank you for all the hard work you do around here and thank you for being a good son,” Anna said.

“Yes. Thank you for the jewelry box and thank you for being a good brother and putting up with my crap,” Lilian stated.

“All right. I get it. I’m a good person. What’s so bad about that? Aren’t we supposed to be good to one another?” he asked.

“Yes, we are. And there is nothing wrong with that either. So just keep on being good,” Anna said.

“I will mom,” he stated as he hugged her and kissed her cheek. “Any plans for the holiday?”

“Mmm… Nope! Looks like you’re stuck with us girls for the next three days kiddo,” Anna said as she brushed his cheek with the back of her hand.

“I wouldn’t have it any other way mother,” he whispered in her ear.

December 24, 2022 02:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Wendy Kaminski
16:49 Dec 24, 2022

This was such a lovely, heart-felt Christmas story, Lonnie. Perfect read for this weekend; loved it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
16:03 Dec 24, 2022

Lonnie, This is definitely a nice feel-good story. I was a bit confused at the time shifts though. Asterisks would have been helpful between Brenda and her dad being invited on Christmas day and Brenda and Terry being in love. Keep writing.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.