6 comments

Fiction

The Dinner Guests

      “My best silverware, Spode china, French crystal goblets, and wine glasses…something was missing. Oh, silly me, the salad forks!”  

      Dinner would be ready soon. Maria liked dishes that could be made ahead and put on hold. Then she could spend time with her guests. The company was the most essential part of any dinner party. 

Maria hurried upstairs to put the finishing touches on her make-up. Now she was ready.  

      Ding-dong. Ding-dong. 

      “Hello, John! You are the first to arrive.”  

      “So nice to see you again, Maria.”

      “Let me take your coat. May I get you something to drink? Follow me to the Living room.”

      “Who’s on the guest list tonight? Your parties are famous, or rather infamous, for combining the talent of the literary world.” 

      “Well, you, of course. What would a gathering be without the famous John Grisham? Then there is Ken Follett, David Baldacci, and Patricia Cornwell. I thought the conversation would be easy if we kept it small and intimate.” 

      “This sounds like quite a group! I look forward to exchanging ideas with them, though we must steer away from politics with Ken and Patricia in the same room!”

      “I do think it could become volatile. Could you assist with the steering?”

      “Of course!” 

      The bell rang again.  

      “Why imagine Ken and David on my doorstep! Please come in!” 

      “Well, hello, John. Haven’t seen you since that book signing in London,” said Ken. “How have you been?”  

      The small talk continued until Patricia’s arrival. 

      “Why, Pat Cornwell! So glad you could make it!”

      “I thank you for the invitation. I just had to make a grand entrance! Fashionably late, as usual!” 

      After refreshment and chit-chat, they adjourned to the dining room. 

Dinner was served, and all seemed to have an appetite. After dessert, Maria pressed for more information from the authors.  

       “Well, here’s what I’ve been waiting for, a chance to ask each of you my most burning questions if you don’t mind!”  

      “Oh! Please start with me,” said Ken.  

      “Since you began with spy thrillers, I’ve wondered why you abruptly changed to an epic, historical novel about building cathedrals in Pillars of the Earth.”  

      The others at the table agreed that this was a burning question.  

      “As I mentioned in an interview with the Telegraph, this was a dramatic and violent historical era. Of course, that makes it interesting to write about! 

Something about the structure of a cathedral and the amount of time to build one got under my skin. I wanted to write a book worthy of that construction.”  

      “It is certainly a favorite of mine. How long did it take to write it?”

      “400,000 words that took three years and three months to write! It’s my most popular book.”

      “Quite an amazing accomplishment! None of my books are that long!”

      “Thank you, Pat.” 

      “John, you’re next! My question for you is similar to Ken’s. You were a practicing attorney and had been for many years. What made you leave that practice and start writing?”  

      “Maria, I overheard someone in the courthouse discussing a violent rape of a twelve-year-old girl. As a father myself, I wondered what I would do if that happened to a daughter of mine. 

But there is little to wonder about. I’d want to kill the bastard. Then there are the legal ramifications. This was something I had to get out of my system. I started getting up at 5:00am, writing for an hour or two, and then going to work. I never imagined it would turn out to be something worth reading. Once A Time to Kill was published, I was hooked. 

I had already begun my second novel. Soon there wasn’t time for both my legal and my writing careers. I chose writing.”  

      “It really is addicting, and the only thing that makes you really feel alive,” said Patricia.  

      “So Patricia…”

      “I knew I’d be on the hot seat next. Maria.”  

      “Your portrayal of your main character, Kay Scarpetta, is a medical examiner.”

      “That’s right.”

      “Your background, though, is not a medical one. Didn’t you graduate with a BA in English?”

      “Right again!” 

      “So where did you learn so much about medical examining?” 

      “I worked in a morgue with an ME in Richmond, VA as a technical writer and computer analyst. I learned everything I could about what went on there. I knew I wanted to write about crime.”  

           “No wonder you are one of my favorite writers! I’ve never met such interesting people! David that brings me to you.” 

      “Let’s go!”

      “David, like John, you were a practicing lawyer. How did you get into writing?” 

      “Ever since childhood, I was writing stories. Then in high school, I tried to get a short story published, a difficult job. 

I went into law because I thought you had to have a real job, that writing was just a hobby. But I still wrote every chance I got. Early in the morning, late at night, and guess what? A book appeared!”  

      Just then, the doorbell rang….

      Amy and Nick, Maria’s daughter and husband, drove to Maria’s house to drop off a prescription Amy had picked up for her. 

      “I’ll just be a minute,” said Amy as she ran to the door.  

***

      “That lady gets crazier every day!” said Amy, shaking her head as she buckled into the car.

      “What happened?” asked Nick.

      “She’s having another of her dinner parties with no one at the table!” 

      “Who is there this time?”

      “Her favorite authors. Nick, do you think we need to have her re-evaluated?”

      “What harm is there in having a party with your imaginary friends? She seems OK otherwise.” 

      “I guess it does give her something to do,” sighed Maria as they drove away. “Still, I worry about her.” 

      “You’re just sore that you weren’t invited!” His eyes twinkled with an idea.

***

      “Hello, Nick!” Maria kissed his cheek. “And Amy, don’t you look lovely!” 

      “Mom, you shouldn’t have gone to all this trouble just for us!” 

      “Oh, Amy. You are just the first ones here.” 

      “Who else is on your famous guest list tonight?” asked Nick. 

      “I know how you love drama, so I’ve reached back in time to The Bard himself!” 

      “William Shakespeare?” Amy and Nick chimed together.

      “Yes, I thought just one guest might be enough for your first dinner of this kind.” 

      “Well, I can’t wait to ask if he really wrote those plays!” said Nick. 

      Amy rolled her eyes and shook her head. Nick gave her a sharp glance and whispered, “You know you promised to go along with this.” 

***

      “I honestly don’t know when I’ve had such a good time!” Amy laughed as she closed the car door. 

      “Your mother’s depth of knowledge about Shakespeare is astounding. To carry his end of the conversation like that…she should have been an actress!” 

      “She does have a degree in literature and no one to share her thoughts with now that she’s retired. Hmm…whom should we have her invite for the next party?” 

September 05, 2022 17:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

6 comments

Daniel Rains
11:14 Sep 14, 2022

I enjoyed this story and was surprised when you revealed the guests were not really there. I look forward to reading some of the other stories you post. While it is entertaining as is, I think weaving the dinner in with the conversation will help your readers envision them all sitting there, talking in-between bites of food.

Reply

Paula Young
19:04 Sep 15, 2022

Good suggestions!! Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jeannette Miller
15:07 Sep 10, 2022

What a weird and a bit sad story of a woman with delusions whose family first judges her and then decides to play along to make her happy. I do like how you wove the authors into the story. It would have been cool for Maria to mention something about her standing in the literary world to make her dinner parties a must to attend for these people. I know it's delusional but it could be foreshadowing her background a bit before her daughter says later about the retirement. When you introduce Amy and Nick, you describe them as her daughter and...

Reply

Paula Young
12:13 Sep 11, 2022

Thanks for the great critique!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kendall Defoe
19:21 Sep 05, 2022

A lot of exclamation points here! Feels like they are shouting at this party! ;)

Reply

Paula Young
19:04 Sep 15, 2022

I really do use too many exclamation points! Thanks for the reminder!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.