0 comments

Christmas Happy Romance

Meghan opened the door to find her best friend Dave on the other side. “Hi. Are you ready for the big night?”

Dave pushed the door the rest of the way open and invited himself inside. “I’m so nervous. Can I practice on you?”

She shut the door and followed him to the living room. “You want to practice what you’re going to say?” She sat down on the couch and watched him pace the small area.

“Please. I know it’s a lot to ask.” He stopped pacing and turned his puppy dog brown eyes towards her.

“Sure, why not.” She perched on the end of the couch with her hands folded in her lap.

Dave cleared his throat, then get down on one knee. “We’ve known each other a long time, and I can’t imagine my life without you in it. Would you make me the happiest man and marry me?”

Even though she knew it was meant for another woman, her heart melted, and her eyes got misty. “That’s perfect, Dave. I’m sure she’ll say yes.”

“Thank you so much.” He jumped up from the floor and gave her a quick hug before darting out the front door.

Meghan shook her head and got up from the couch. She had errands to run before the big party that night, so she grabbed her coat and headed out the door. The small grocery store a block away would have everything she needed.

Cold air assaulted her, and she pulled up the collar of her heavy green coat. She quickly walked down the steps and thankfully was able to turn her back to the blowing wind.

“I love you! Marry me!” A man's voice rang out, startling her. She spun on her heels and smiled when she saw Victor standing at the bottom of the steps.

“Wrong woman, Victor.”

“I’m so sorry. You and Alisha look the same from behind. And you both have the same green coat.” A blush covered his cheeks as he went back to his hiding spot to wait for his woman.

She chuckled and continued down the sidewalk, dropping a few coins in the red cross bucket the Santa at the corner held.

She sighed with relief as the grocery store came into view. This was one of those days she wished she had a car, but then again, it really wasn’t worth it to drive one block. Knocking the snow off her boots the best she could, she pulled open the door and stepped inside.

A large banner dropped down from the rafters proclaiming a man's undying love, and for the third time that day, asking if she would marry him. “No.” She shouted.

A head of brown curly hair peeked around the corner, a frown creasing his face until he realized she was not the woman of his dreams. “Sorry miss. Someone told me my girlfriend was headed down the street and was moments away from entering the store.” He smiled apologetically as he stepped out from behind a shelf filled with canned corn.

The bell tinkled above the door, and a blond-haired woman squealed with delight. She ran into the young man's arms, nearly knocking him to the ground. Meghan shook her head and grabbed a shopping cart. Christmas eve really brought out the romantics.

She headed towards the meat section, having decided on her way over that she was going to make a delicious meal of steak and potatoes before the party. Looking at the steaks, she couldn’t decide between the rib eye or new york strip. She bit her lower lip as she held one of each steak in her hand.

A man came to stand beside her glancing at the steaks on display, and then at the two in her hand. “Can’t decide?”

She glanced at the man then put the rib eye back in its place. “Nope, I’m going with the New York Strip.” She grabbed another one and placed them both in her cart.

The man placed his hand over his heart. “A woman after my own heart. Marry me?” He smiled as he picked up his own choice of steak.

“I’m afraid my boyfriend wouldn’t like it very much if I accepted a proposal from a stranger.” She pushed her basket down the aisle towards the produce to get some potatoes. Satisfied that she had everything she needed to make their supper special, and to make the party a big hit, she headed to the checkout.

Minutes later she was back out in the cold on her way home with three bags of groceries weighing her down She hurried inside her apartment and got to work cooking. Her date would be arriving in the next thirty minutes.

Just as she placed the plates of steak on the table, a soft knock sounded at the door. She rushed to open it and smiled at the man on the other side. “I missed you, Mark.” She threw herself into his arms and kissed him.

“I missed you too. A week apart is too long.”

She pulled herself away from him. “Come on in. I made supper.”

“It smells delicious.” He took off his coat and hung it on a hook by the door, placed a brown paper bag on the counter, then sat down in the seat across from her.

Dinner seemed to zoom by as Mark told her all about his trip and the interesting people he had met. He had so many funny stories that she allowed him to do most of the talking.

When they finished eating, she cleared away the dishes. When she turned around, he had placed two small boxes on the table. “Dessert,” he said.

She smiled as she took her seat and opened the box. Her hand flew to her mouth to stifle the gasp that escaped.

Mark was on one knee in front of her. “I love you more than anything, and this week away made me realize that I don’t ever want to lose you. Will you Marry me?”

She was choked up with emotion and couldn’t speak, so she nodded her head. He reached into the box and pulled the ring out of the piece of cake. He wiped it off before slipping it on her finger and kissing her.

She smiled as she looked down at the ring sparkling on her finger. Five proposals in one day, that has to be a record.

December 22, 2020 15:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.