4 comments

Fiction

In the nights she dreamed of being a child, playing at the park.  Sun kissing her face, laughter and yells from others filling the air, a breeze playing with her long curls.  A shriek of surprise would escape her as the boy that was it jumped up onto her level and both kids would go off running along the platforms grinning.  He would reach out with his hand as she whipped down the slide, his fingertips just missing her hair.  The feeling of her heart breaking would bring her up to consciousness, wishing she could go back and grab that boy’s hand, that she could go back and hug every kid on that playground.  That girl was part of a different world.  Both that girl and that world were gone, along with the game of tag.

Olivia looked at her calendar of meetings on her laptop.  Next item was marked “Coffee with Jason”.  She closed the computer, quickly changed into a long sleeve dress, the grey material lightly hugged the curve of her hips.  The ziiip of her coat echoed in the silent apartment.  She pulled on a long coat and checked her pockets.  Mask, gloves, alcohol wipes, hand sanitizer, wallet.  All in order.  Eying up her shoe options, she pulled on the black ones she got last year and slipped them on.  Pinching the sides of her feet slightly, Olivia grimaced at them.  I should wear you around the house to break you in.

Stepping outside, the chill of the afternoon struck her, infiltrating her lungs as she pulled in the scent of winter.  Olivia crossed the street to the side where pedestrians could walk east and quickly made her way towards the coffee shop a few blocks down.  The whir of the few cars driving by and a few birds singing were the only noises echoing along the tall buildings.  Olivia watched the birds twirling around each other.  They landed on a ledge together and snuggled in.  Their carefree movements and togetherness brought a blush to her cheeks.  Great, I’m jealous of birds now.

She pulled on her mask and stepped into the shop.  Olivia unbuttoned her coat and walked up to the screen showing the table layout and their bookings.  The back corner table had her name on it with the next single table labeled “Jason”.  She fidgeted with her hair as she followed the walking paths to her booth, passing several other isolation booths.  Reaching her pod she opened the clear plastic door and entered, Jason’s pod was still empty.  Pulling off her coat, she scanned the café.  Most others were in pairs sharing their bubble, a few stragglers were in their own little pod, reading books.  A waitress came out, placed several drinks in the passing box and the two inside opened their sides, pulled them out and wiped the cups down.  Her eyes trailed over the nearest couple, watching their hands intertwined, fingers caressing each other.  

A striking ding rang as the door opened.  Olivia looked up and saw Jason enter.  There was something different about seeing someone in person that a screen can’t quite prepare you for.  Her heart fluttered as she watched him approach, long black hair pulled back.  He crawled into the booth next to hers and settled in a seat.  He looked over at her and she smiled, the tips of her cheeks going red.  She flicked on the intercom between the pods.

“Hi,” said Olivia.

“Hey.  Chilly day out!  Man these little booths are weird to be in aren’t they,” Jason replied as he eyed up his area.

“I suppose.  It’s nice they found a way for singles to meet others more frequently though.”

“My one social group is fairly large so I typically leave my other group empty for dating.”

“My parents need my help so I see them and I die a little when I can’t see my friend Jess so my two social circles are typically full.  I need a good reason to stop seeing one to try someone new.”

Jason nodded his head.  “Needing to help parents can be quite a drag, especially with these times.  If you lived with them I suppose it wouldn’t be as bad so long as they weren’t social.”

A pause stretched out as Olivia shifted in her seat looking down at the table.  The sound of crickets made her look up, brow raised.  Jason pulled out his phone and the noise increased.

“Sorry, I got to take this call, should be quick,” said Jason.  He was looking at his phone and reached over towards Olivia.  Uncertain what to do she reached her hand up towards his, her heart racing.  He reached the barrier between them, flicked off the intercom, and turned slightly to answer his phone.

Olivia sat there with her arm stretched out.  Grateful he hadn’t noticed, she retracted her hand, cradling it.  The image of a human touch deflated like a balloon wilting down to nothing.  She sat in her bubble, safely isolated from the world.  The clear walls seemed to close in on her, blocking out the sounds, blocking out the people, blocking out her existence.

A snap of the intercom opening up again made her jump.  Jason smiled and said, “Want to order something?  I’m starving.”

***

Stepping out on the sidewalk, Olivia pulled up the collar on her coat and checked her phone.  Several messages were waiting.  Reading several, she decided a call would be an easier way to satisfy the wave of curiosity she knew was coming.

Ring a ding a ling … Ring a ding a ling ...

“Hey sweetie, how was your date?”

“Oh, it was fine mom.  We talked about the new regulations and elections mainly,” Olivia replied.

“Very romantic of you.”

“There is nothing romantic about meeting someone while you are both sitting in separate bubbles.  No sharing of food, no accidental foot play, no leaning towards each other.  Nothing.”

“It’ll get better, darling.  When you meet someone who fits with you I’m sure the bubbles will feel like they aren’t there.”

Tap, tap, TAP went her shoes on the sidewalk, mirroring her billowing frustration.

“My life has become messages on a phone.  I’m not quite sure how much closer we can all be to robots.  It wasn’t really that long ago we were all squished into clubs like jumping sardines.  You didn’t need to know anyone but you could go out and bump into hundreds of strangers!  It’s been a year now with social circles.  I’ve literally only had 3 people I can actually touch in my life for a year!  As much as I love you and dad, this is a bit much for single folks.”

“This has been hard on all of us in different ways.  Dating apps were a thing before this all went down so it seems like how your generation likes to meet people that way anyways.”

“There is a bit of a difference between finding out who else is single around you through electronics then not being able to touch someone unless they are one of your two social circles.  I mean really, cutting out one social circle for two weeks to change to a new guy just to find out he is a dud and need to wait two more weeks to see my friend again!  I’ve carved out the two weeks but don’t know if I like this guy enough.  I can still go right back to hanging out with Jess.”  

“I realize it must be hard.  Why don’t you come by for supper later?  I pulled out some chili and I’m sure your dad would love another game of cribbage.”

Olivia paused on the sidewalk.  Her frustration melted down her sides to form a nice puddle of shame by her feet.  “Sorry mom, didn’t mean to be so snappy.  How about I pick up some biscuits to go with the chili, I’m right by the bakery.”

“That would be lovely, see you soon dear.”

Hanging up the call, Olivia opened up the news and scrolled the articles.  She opened the door and stepped in, the warmth and sweet scents of bread wrapped around her.  Heavily engrossed in an article on upcoming changes, she moved towards the counter.  A crash followed by “Ahhhhh!” came from the kitchen and a bun came flying over the counter, causing the man at the till to swiftly step backwards.  Olivia, watching this unfold, stepped forward and caught her foot on the mat.  One body crashed into the other, feet unable to find the ground.

The two crashed down on the floor, scrambling to re-oriented themselves.  Both shifted back to give each other space and stood back up.  Olivia’s heart now hammering in her chest, she looked around the room.  

The man she had crashed into was straightening out and brushing off his coat.  The other man behind the counter however had wide eyes that were quickly darting back and forth between the two.  He said, “I am so sorry!  I have not set up waiting booths yet!  My shop is so small it can’t fit many, but I also can’t manage keeping people outside to wait!”  His hands on his head, the man paced back and forth.

The man beside her looked at Olivia, his amber eyes curved up as he smiled and turned to the man behind the counter.  “Tony, my friend, please don’t feel bad.  This here is my girlfriend, so there has been no contamination to report.”

Olivia’s eyes widened her mouth slightly ajar.  Tony on the other hand lit up like a firework.  His wide eyes this time were paired with high eyebrows and a brilliant smile.  He said, “You have finally found yourself a girl!?  I am so excited for you Max!  She must be special indeed!” 

Suddenly, the focus of both men bore into Olivia.  She let out a small squeak and tried on a smile.  

“What is your name, girlfriend of Max?” asked Tony.

“Olivia.” she replied.

“Olivia!” exclaimed Tony, “What a marvelous name.  I’m sure you agree with me that this Max here is quite a catch.  You are a lucky lady, although I suspect he may be evenly matched with you.”  He eyed her a bit more and smiled again. “Such a lovely day!  Please, no need to be modest with me, it is such a lovely treat to see young couples in love.”

Max looked over and held out his hand, “Feeling up to public affection?”

Olivia looked at his outstretched hand, right there in front of her.  Before she had properly mulled over the decision, her hand moved over to his and the pair interlocked fingers.  

With rapid breathing and tingling fingers, Olivia gripped his hand tightly and swayed.  The feeling of skin pressed against skin.  Direct connection to another person, her hand squeezing his and his hand squeezing back.  His eyes traced her face with concern as she continued to overwhelmingly watch their hands.

“Tony,” said Max, “Might we have a chocolate croissant to split?  I believe my lady here is a bit lightheaded.”

“Most certainly, my friend Max,” Tony replied as he hurried through the door to the kitchens.  

Max leaned towards her and said quietly, “I hope you don’t mind.  I know Tony well and a contamination here would damage his business badly.”

Olivia’s eyes snapped up to his face, as if she forgot the hand had an owner.  His words slowly made their way into her mind.  Realizing he was waiting for her reply, she said, “It’s fine.  Glad to help really.”

Max smiled and turned as the doors swung open again announcing Tony’s return.  “Two freshly baked chocolate delicacies for the two lovebirds in front of me.  I have one table at the back, please do sit and enjoy yourselves - it is much too cold to eat outside.”

Max looked over to me and tilted his head.  Well, I guess I’ve already gone this far, Olivia thought.  The pair moved over and, peeling their hands apart, sat with their treats.  Not quite sure what to do, she closed her eyes and took a bite.  The light layers had the tiniest of crunches until she reached the warm soft chocolate of the center.  Nothing quite coated the tongue like warm chocolate.  Chewing in slow motion, Olivia almost forgot where she sat.  

“I see I’m not the only one who appreciates the talents of our friend Tony,” Max said with a chuckle.  

Her eyes open.  “I most certainly do.  So, tell me boyfriend Max, what are you like?”

He grinned back at her and the pair flowed into steady conversation as they ate.  Hands empty, Olivia wasn’t sure what to do next.  “At least I have a spot open in my social groups, so today wasn’t a full contamination,” she said.

Max raised his eyebrows, slowly grinned, and replied, “I have a spot open as well.  Funny how that worked out.  Did you have plans this evening, girlfriend Olivia?”

“I plan to visit my parents but will need to walk over to 6th avenue.  I need to pick up buns too now that I think of it!”

Max stood, pushed in his chair, and held out a hand.  Her breath abandoned her as her eyes traced the outstretched fingers.  Smiling quickly, she took his hand and stood.  Their fingers wrapped around each other, she gripped tightly.  She felt as though she was floating, this connection the only thing holding her grounded.  

Max leaned over, catching her eyes and said, “You ok?”

Olivia looked back and replied, “I’m great.”

March 13, 2021 03:46

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Kayo Wanumu
01:56 Mar 24, 2021

This is giving me a large autumn vibe and I'm loving it. Tony does feel like a bit of an NPC but it's a stark contrast to Max who's pretty fleshed out in such a short time.

Reply

Sam Ackman
02:04 Mar 24, 2021

Thanks so much for the comment! I’ll need to think a bit more on how I write side characters. Much appreciated :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Andrea Kepple
23:26 Mar 18, 2021

This story made me smile so I know I connected with the story. Nice job.

Reply

Sam Ackman
01:05 Mar 19, 2021

Thanks for the comment!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.