My little Bonny

Submitted into Contest #78 in response to: Write about someone who keeps an unusual animal as a pet.... view prompt

5 comments

American High School Fiction

"ARRRGGGGGHHH MOM, BONNY IS CHEWING MY NEW BED SHEETS" Anna shouted from her room.

Not again," Anna baby am sorry, I'll just get you a new one tomorrow"I said smiling.

  Bonny is a raccoon, my pet. Yeah, you heard that right. I was on my way to work on a faithful day when I saw it on the road injured. I took it home and since then and we've been taking care of it as ours. It's been 10 years now and my 18 inches tall raccoon won't stop going around causing trouble. But my daughter and husband understand the fact that I really love that trouble little thing, so they just had to try and get along with it. But it has never really been friendly with Anna cause she kept messing around with it's little pen. She would throw it out of the house saying it belongs outside. But being a sensitive and intelligent animal, it would push it's house back in and mess up her room in return. She did the same thing yesterday and I guess she's reaping the repercussion of it now. I walked up to her room and I saw Bonny coiled up just beside the door of her room. Staring at me Immediately I entered the room, he stared at me with those guilty eyes and walked up to me. I picked it up and walked out of her room.

Getting to it's pen, I opened the door and it entered quietly immediately I put it down. It went straight to the vegetables I placed in it's food container and started chewing on it. Being an omnivore, it feels on all kind of food.

"Mom" I heard from behind.

" Yes darling, what do u need"I said without turning still watching Bonny with admiration.

"Mom" Anna called again.

"What do you need baby"I said still not turning back.

"MOM AM READY FOR SCHOOL AND YOU'RE DRIVING ME" she shouted. 

I turned around startled and stared at my 15 years old daughter. "Isn't too early to be shouting young woman"I said before turning back to Bonny.

"Hey Bonny,stay here till I come back home ok?". Bonny made some sound which meant it understand and I stood her and turn around just in time to catch my daughter roll her eyes before moving towards the door. I picked up my bag and followed behind her.

You must be wondering why I haven't said anything about my husband, well he's a doctor and he's among the volunteers that went on a field trip to a small village in Uganda. And he won't be back till next week. At least the nagging about how mischievous Bonny is will reduce. We got to Anna's school. She pecked me on my cheeks before getting out of the car and running off to meet her friends. Thirty minutes later, I got to my work place "MY KIDS AND I FASHION HOUSE"written boldly in front of the building. I walked into the building and greeted the receptionist before heading towards the elevator. I entered it and pressed the third floor. I got to my office and sat down staring and $1000 painting I bought last year. Twas the best thing I've ever spent my money on. It was an attractive picture of an African woman breast feeding a baby and she was smiling down at her baby. It always make me remember when I first took Bonny in. Twas on a faithful day, I was driving to work and then I saw it at the side of the road injured, I took it to a veterinary hospital and since I couldn't take it back to the road, I decided to take it home.Well it brought joy to me even though my family never liked it. I heard a bang at my door which brought me back to reality.

"Danielle are you in there" said Rachel, my assistant . Well in case I forget to say, am the head of the welfare department and Rachel is my personal assistant and we're in charge of making sure our clients are satisfied and happy with our products.

" Come in" I said 

She rushed in looking worried. "Danielle we have a serious problem".

"And what is that".

"Well the client from England that came last week discovered that his orders were not complete. He paid for 500 kid wears but only 300 wears we're delivered". She finished.

"And how did that happen" I asked already panicking.

" There was an error in the order, so the man said we should either we bring his remaining order to him or he would withdraw all the deals he had made with us and he would make sure no one from England orders from us again".

"We need to talk to the deputy director about this right now" I said running out of the office while she followed behind me. There was an emergency meeting and the result of the meeting was that I and Rachel would be the one to deliver the wears and our flight leaves in an hour time.

I need to call my daughter. I called Anna and on the second ring she picked up.

" Hey mum what's up"she said cheerfully.

"Sorry baby but I won't be coming to pick you up today. There's an emergency at work and I have to be at the airport in an hour's time. Am leaving for England" I said

I heard her gasp before saying."Alright mom"

There's definitely something wrong with that reply.

"Alright baby, take care of Bonny and make sure you eat. Don't forget to close the door before sleeping ok?" I said.

" Yes mum, love ya"she said before cutting the call.

That was really weird, she never agrees to take care of Bonny. Anyway I have a problem to solve and that not worrying about what she'll do. 

Two days after, I got back to the airport with Rachel. Persuading the man was more harder than we expected. All my thoughts were on my daughter and Bonny. I missed them so much and I really can't wait to get back home.

I spotted my daughter and what shocked me that my husband was beside her. Wow, he didn't tell me he would be coming home sooner. I waved at them and they did the same just that they both looked sad. I hugged both of them. Facing my husband I asked "why are you home already, we talked yesterday and you didn't say anything"

"Mom am so sorry", Anna said looking down with tears I didn't notice earlier running down her face.

"What happened Anna, why are you crying" I asked lifting her chin up.

"Anna gave a call yesterday to come back home..."my husband said and I turned to him then back to my daughter

"And why is that" I asked 

"Mom.... Bonny got into an accident and it's dead before we came here"she finished sobbing really hard.

"My hand dropped from her chin as I fell to the floor, I felt weak, really weak and I don't really care if I was still in the airport. I just couldn't understand as a tear fell from my eyes I asked.

"How did...this..happen" I asked as I regain myself and stood up.

"Twas all my fault mom" Anna said.

"Honey let's talk while going home ok?"my husband asked and I nodded and we all walked to the car.

Anna explained everything to me and I got to know that after I've gone she left Bonny outside the house because it refused to eat what she gave it and when she got outside to check on it back, it was already run over by a car. I felt really weak, as if a very important part of me left already. We buried it and I buried the painting in my office with it since that painting will only bring me sadness and not joy anymore.

Few weeks later, I got home really late and my husband and daughter already slept. Those two, I asked them to wait for me till I get back from work that I was preparing a surprise for them, I guess they'll just have to see it tomorrow. I took the food they left for me on the table and put it in the oven. While waiting for my food, I stared at what I brought home and smiled "it's good to have you back" I said.

  Next morning, "ARRRGGGGGHHH MOM, BONNY IS CHEWING ON MY BED SHEETS AGAIN, wait what....."I heard my daughter gasp before she said again"MOM, BONNY IS BAACCCKKKKKK"I heard her shouting from her room and the next moment she was downstairs smiling while carrying the new raccoon I brought home yesterday.

"Yes baby it is and this time around no messing around with Bonny, is that clear young woman"I said serious

"Yes mum" Anna said saluting and we both laughed.

January 28, 2021 21:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

That Asian Creep
09:34 Mar 27, 2021

Hi! This is a really interesting concept for a story... and a good choice of animal. I know that the prompt says “unusual” but I don’t think that many people would first think of a raccoon. Great job..!

Reply

Oyediran Esther
11:13 Mar 28, 2021

Thanks, the animal is a kind of interesting creature that people rarely talk about. I'll love to check out your stories too.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Oyediran Esther
11:13 Mar 28, 2021

Thanks, the animal is a kind of interesting creature that people rarely talk about. I'll love to check out your stories too.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Suzanne Toruk
00:14 Feb 04, 2021

Hi, cute story, but I can't say I understand the meaning of it. No doubt, I'm overthinking it, and you didn't intend it to have any particular meaning. It's a simple interpretation of the prompt. All good. The bigger issue is the grammar. I suggest searching for blog posts about punctuation, especially for dialogue. Also, there are basic principals about writing fiction. Again, search for blog posts about the craft of writing. Or if you can, buy a book or take a writing class about the fundamentals. Best wishes!

Reply

Oyediran Esther
17:32 Feb 05, 2021

Thanks for reading and commenting😊.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.