5 comments

Bedtime Mystery Suspense

There comes a time in every girl's life where they stumble upon Pinterest and get the urge to move their entire bed frame to sit right under the window.

And it's almost always worth it.

And usually during the day time alone, I would lie on my bed, watch out the window and take a power nap in the afternoon.

But for the first time ever, I decided stupidly, to experience night life. I was going to stay up past midnight. This was not because of teenage rebellion 'I'm gonna stay up in the night because my parents didn't want me to.'

No.

I usually fall asleep pretty quickly in the night so I downed some Coffee in the evening time.

Now this is a true story.

That night I was feverishly typing on my laptop's keys trying to get work done. It was Exam time and I was dedicated to being the valedictorian of the school.

Alright, well I didn't want to start off this story with a lie but my fingers typed it for me.

That night I was feverishly binging episodes from my favourite youtuber while procrastinating the fact that I had upcoming exams.

I'm not a horrible student but I just didn't feel like studying. It was almost midnight as well. I opened the windows for once in my life. I always had the irrational fear that someone would come up to the window and look at me while I'm sleeping.

I would always push it aside tonight because my room is not ground level.

If someone were to casually come up to my window and take a gander, they would have to levitate.

But tonight, all those fears were pushed aside. I was wrapped in my blanket and although everyone in the house had fallen asleep, I felt safe. I felt so safe that my toes peeked out of the blanket.

I wanted the night vibe to whisk me off to dreamland.

Through my video, I heard a 'pstttt' sound.

I chose to ignore it the first time.

That didn't happen, it was my imagination.

Then it happened a few more times.

Well I just have a strong imagination, probably the power of reading books.

I knew in the back of my mind, it was coming from the window but I decided to not immediately look at the window. I was doing that 'look all around the room' schtick just wanting to believe it was something else.

Maybe a cat.

We didn't have a cat but it could be a cat.

Exhausting all my options, I decided to take a peek and then run like hell. What I expected was a man to right up on my window sill gazing at me with wide open eyes and a creepy smile on his face.

In my mind, that was my fear, I was prepared for it. Had a little bat near my bed, just casually pick that up and casually slam it directly into his face.

I didn't get that. Thank God

But there was someone there.

What I didn't expect was to see the open window of the neighbouring house. The light was on in the front room illuminating everything except the man himself. He was a darkened figure obviously looking into my room.

Then he waved.

Once more making the sound, confirming it was him.

My heart dropped.

I was expecting something, but I didn't expect me to be right. I'm almost never right.

I wished it was like those sitcoms where the character thought he saw something and it just turned out to be something else that's not at all scary.

It wasn't.

No matter if I was to write this from a 3rd Version point of view were I analyze his feelings and thoughts into the story. It would still be the same.

An unknown man was looking into my bedroom, trying to call my attention and talk to me. And he was getting frustrated thinking I was ignoring him.

Well, I was.

But I didn't want him to think so. I wanted him to think that I was just busy and that I had not heard him. That I was deaf or something.

Thinking about it more, he wasn't unknown,

I could remember waving to a guy now and then just for politeness sake. He would be next door, not a part of the household but over there enough to probably stay over some nights.

Knowing it was a man watching me, I did the only thing I could think of.

Shut the windows and close the curtains.

Now I see why people stupidly die in horror movies.

Shock makes you do stupid things.

I could have woke up my parents,

I could have called the police on a peeping tom.

I could have slept in the living room that night.

But instead I closed the windows and laid on the bed, blocking the brightness of the screen pretending that I had just gone to sleep.

I peeked once more to check if he was still there and he was.

Just sitting this time. It was harder to take a picture as I could only see the top of his head concealed by dark.

He was no longer standing and pressing the entire top portion of his body to the glass.

I rolled over and continued to watch my video.

It didn't happen.

The night ended and morning came. I was awaken by a familiar sound.

Tic.... Tic.... Tic...

It was getting louder as I lifted my head. I knew it as the sound of pebbles hitting my window. That only happens when someone would be cutting grass with the 'Weedeater' machine. It's humming would usually be in the morning so I didn't find it strange.

However, the humming of the machine wasn't there.

Like an idiot, I peered out. I saw the facial features of the man. It was the man I would wave to out of politeness sake. He was throwing pebbles, trying to get my attention.

My parents weren't home this time, my dad would usually drive her to work.

Curious... I opened the window.

June 07, 2021 14:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

06:51 Jun 17, 2021

Oooh spooky!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Corey Melin
14:57 Jun 07, 2021

An entertaining read. The suspense built up then suddenly stopped. Stopped for the reader’s imagination? A part 2?

Reply

12:35 Jun 08, 2021

Yeah, I know what happened after but I wonder what other people think as well. What do you think happens after?

Reply

Corey Melin
14:51 Jun 08, 2021

It can be a lonely guy needing a friend that has fantastical tales to tell her. Or on the darker side one that befriends but then comes to a sad ending with either him or her being killed

Reply

15:52 Jun 08, 2021

I can see that happening. Good ideas

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.