Blizzard of Fate

Written in response to: Set your story in a snowed-in chalet.... view prompt

0 comments

Horror Fiction Thriller

“Should we go home?” I inquired nervously, staring into the blizzard in front of me. “We should get out of here before we can’t. Please Danny.” A fire roared in the river rock fireplace, warm wood tones surrounding us. Plopping down on a worn brown leather couch, a rush of air blew up my black leather skirt. My trembling fingers messed with my red bow on my black lace blouse.  


“Where is the fun in that?” Danny teased, tucking my long brown wavy hair behind my ear. “We will be alright.” My painted lips parted in protest, but a loud knock interrupted us. Panic glances passed between us, curiosity screaming inside of me.  


“Help!” A weary woman’s voice called out above the howling winds. “My car broke down a few miles back, and I need shelter from the storm.” Nodding, he opened the door, a ragged middle aged woman hurried in. Her gray eyes brightened with relief, her short black curly hair bouncing about. Her black puffer coat was soaked to her small body, her lips cracked and dried. A gust of snow blew into the lobby, the door slamming shut. The loud thud of the door made us leap out of our skin. Something about her energy was off, a headache starting to throb.


“What are you guys doing here at Skeleton Chalet tonight?” She inquired seriously, hovering her red hands over the fireplace. “Have you not heard of the Lady of the Blizzard?” Confusion twisted our faces, our heads tilting to the right. Her eyebrow cocked, a childish grin dancing across her lips.  


“Come again.” Danny groaned gruffly, running his hand through his dark brown hair. “I was not aware.” Shrugging, she plopped down next to me, white snow falling into my lap. A small frown formed on my lips, Danny looking into my copper eyes.  


“It was a night just like this many years ago. The snow fell down, trapping poor souls in their homes until the plow came out the next day. Winds howled, seeking a way into each person’s home. There was a lady with long black hair wandering through the night seeking aid. Her car had broken down a few miles back. Knock, Knock, Knock went her fist as it banged on each door. Yet no one answered, signing her death sentence.” She mused, peeling off her soaking wet coat. “She cursed upon her final breath that anyone who lets her in now will be dead by the morning. The first sign is that the power will cut out, something that seems harmless. Next sign is the snow will stop falling feet around the house, trapping you in your own snow globe of sorts. No matter which way you go, you can’t escape. As the clocks tick minute by minute, she will appear in the corner of your eyes. Her dead cold fingers will wrap around your neck when the clock strikes midnight. Locals never answer the door, on nights like this. Who knows, maybe you just made one yourself.” The intensity in her eyes burned, her eyes staring into mine. A lump in my throat formed, her energy feeling icy as the world outside of my window.  


“Would you like a cup of coffee or something?” Danny offered awkwardly, observing her oddly. “Do you need to make a call or anything?” Just then the lights flickered off, darkness bathing the room. Only the fireplace lit up the room in a nice orange light. Alarm widened my eyes, the woman was gone. Gulping down the lump in my throat, our eyes met. Silently, we told each other that something was very wrong here. 


“You don’t think she is the lady?” I squeaked out, searching for oil lamps to light the place. “I told you we should have gone home.” Crossing his arms, his eyebrow cocked. The snow stopped outside, but it was only around our chalet. My heart stopped beating, cold sweat dripped down my brow.  


“Don’t be ridiculous.” He dismissed shakily, noting the situation outside. “We can go home in the morning. The roads would be dangerous now.” Unease threading through the wild thoughts in my head, dreading what was going to happen next. Knocks and bangs exploded around us, driving the chaos in my mind crazy.  


“You never should have answered.” The woman’s voice whispered in my ear. “Since you were nice, I will let you play my game. Survive past midnight, and you win. Beware though, I play, let’s say, a little rough. Good luck.” My muscles froze in fear, fright dimming my eyes. He looked at me oddly, concern flashing in his eyes. I wanted to run, but my feet refused. Breathing deeply, my boots smashed against the floor. Cold wind slapped my face, my feet sprinting out the door. Nothing happened, I was back in the chalet. Inside, my brain was screaming in disbelief and frustration. Numbly, he stumbled towards me. Silver glinted in his left hand, his eyes blank.  


“Thanks for the pawn.” Two voices poured from his lips, a sick smile spreading cheek to cheek. “Don’t worry he is already dead. It is amazing how fragile you humans are. The clock is in your favor however. It is half past eleven. Survive the night and you win. Although, the odds are not in your favor.” Tears welled up in my eyes, the stairs creaking underneath my feet. Feeling the walls, I threw myself in the nearest bedroom.  


“Take this.” A small child’s voice offered, a black flashlight rolling to my feet. “This will help.” Trembling, my hand flicked on the light. A scream poured from my lips, a boy from the nineteen forties stood in front of me. He pressed his fingers to his lips, the flashlight turning off. His cold hand dragged me into a small compartment in the back of the closet. Bang! The solid maple door smashed against the wood of the bedroom walls. My body quaked with horror, my hand over my mouth.


“Edward, where is she?” The double voice demanded, items flying off the shelf. “God forgive if you assist her at all.” Silence filled the room, a pregnant pause passing between them.  


“You will kill me.” He retorted coolly, standing in front of the compartment. “I have come to believe you already did that.” Shrill shrieks poured from his lips, Edward not even blinking in fear. Boom, boom! Hot salty tears fell down my cheeks, my heart pounding even faster.


“Fine.” Danny growled, a baseball hitting the door in front of me. Blue light blinded me, a child’s hand pulling me out. Shock filled my eyes, sadness formed a frown on my face. Three children now sat in front of me. Two sisters younger than him held his hands, warm smiles on their faces.  


“Is she your mother?” I inquired, dreading the answer. “I want to free your souls.” Nodding to each other, the two little girls in white lace dresses started to cry. Fear melted away into sadness, my heart shattering into pieces.  


“She killed us, you know.” The boy explained wrapping his arms around their shoulders. “It was this very day many years ago when she decided to smother us. She did it because we were a burden. The police came to the door, but she was already gone. Now she wants to kill everyone who comes to her, especially the pregnant woman. If she can’t have children no one can.” My hand fell to my flat stomach, their heads nodded.  


“We can’t let her take your guys' lives.” The older of the girls piped up, her fingers wiping away her sister’s tears. “If you survive past midnight, we are all free.” Understanding what I had to do, I tapped my phone. The clock read a quarter to midnight, fifteen minutes. Determination burned in my veins, a plan forming in my mind.  


“Okay.” I said numbly, fighting back the grief. “We can do this. I hide as long as I can, then I defend myself. I promise to free us all. Does anything harm her?” Salty tears fell onto the light wooden floor, the children nodding back at me. A container of salt hit my boots, curiosity rife in my mind.  


“Get back in the closet, and make a line of salt.” The boy ordered firmly. Doing as he said, a line of salt sat in front of me. A pregnant pause lingered in the oppressive air, minutes ticking by. My fingers trembled, my heart pounding away. Relief washed over me for the time on my phone read eleven fifty nine. The door burst open, Danny standing in front of me. The vein in the middle of his forehead throbbed angrily, fury darkening his eyes. He tried to step forward, but was thrown back.  


“Curse you!” He screamed unnaturally, ice forming underneath him. “I will kill you guys all over again.” The children stood up defiantly, fists clenched tightly. His hand raised to hit them, but I leapt out of my safe space. A crack shot through the air, his hand slamming into my cheek.  Thirty seconds remained, just keep him busy. Evil laughter erupted from his lips, tears welling up in my eyes. The knife raised up in the air, the blade glinting in the blue moonlight. Closing my eyes for impact, nothing happened. The children shoved him into another closet, throwing the salt in my direction. A lump formed in my throat, the line of salt speedily forming. Howls and screeches exploded from his lips, my ears starting to ring. Hot blood dripped from my ears, my urge to free him hungered inside of me.  


“Eddie, it is one o’ clock.” The youngest cheered as black smoke puffed out of my Danny’s lips. Smoke turned to flames, the power flickering back on. Smiles dawned on their little faces, their spirits floating into the sky.  


“Thank you.” They whispered leaving me alone with the corpse of my fiance. Despair dimmed my eyes, his body stirring.  


“What happened?” He mumbled, looking oddly over at me. Relief washed over me, launching my body towards him. Tears flowed from my eyes, soaking his shoulder. She just possessed him, his energy was him again. Horror widened his eyes, his fingers noting the blade in them. Trembling, my fingers took the knife from him, tossing it to the other side of the room. 


“I thought you died.” I blubbered, holding him tighter. “She didn’t kill you.” A crooked grin curled on his lips, childlike wonder filled his eyes. His lips pressed against mine hungrily, joy rushing through me.  


“I don’t remember much, but I found this.” He explained, holding a bag of salt on a necklace. Chuckling to myself, I put it around his neck. Nothing happened, he really was him. A joyous smile crept on my face.  


“I hope you like the sound of pitter patter on the floor.” I announced, kissing him back. “We are going to be parents, at least I think.” My head rested on his chest, just taking in the moment. His hand patted my head, exhaustion weighing heavily on my eyelids. Sweet slumber wrapped me in her warm embrace. 


January 19, 2022 19:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.