0 comments

Happy

(The following story explains some days I have in the summer. I hope you enjoy my reality in my own life. Just a little extra.)

There's a long wall with two walls and a little table in my living room I like to sit at. I like to read or look at magazines, look out at the Earth, and drink a cup of tea. But I never start in my living room or my kitchen. It starts in the morning, as I slowly awaken from my slumber, with the warmth of the bright summer sun settling on my face, waking me slowly. I am happily reminded of the fantastic day I've had before this, and the fabulous day I could have if I made it that way.

A smile spreads across my face as I feel well-rested from a good long rest. Even though I don't remember my dream, I remember enjoying it. I sit up slowly, letting my consciousness fill my head, as I was only half awake a moment before. I slowly drip out of bed and begin my day. I make my bed and go to the bathroom to brush my teeth. I then get dressed and quietly head downstairs, hoping not to wake people if I know the other people in my house are still asleep. I try not to step on the creaky floorboards of our very old house. I hold onto the railing as soon as I get to the stairs.

Once I go downstairs, I go to the kitchen. I get out all the supplies needed to make myself a cup of tea and get out a muffin. I then start making myself a cup of tea. I pick out peppermint tea and then prepare my tea maker. I get the plate and put the muffin on the plate. And unpeel the wrapper that is on it. I am planning to have this in another room, and I do not want to have to walk to the trash can from that room.

Then I get out my cup. I get it out and put it under the tea maker. The water oozes out of the top at first but eventually becomes a full stream of water. It ends with a couple of drips. I get the cup and put the tea steeper into my teacup. I stir it around, eventually taking it out of the water and dumping the tea leaves in the disposal, placing the tea steeper in my sink. I add cream to my tea and head to one of the chairs.

I place the plate down and take a small bite out of it. Then I blow on my tea so it ripples a little bit in the cup. I then take a sip. It is quite hot. I continue to drink it anyways enjoying the warmth of the beverage and the lovely flavor it provided. I look out the window and happily see people running in the park and watch people walk their dogs. I see people young and old. I drink my tea and eat my muffin in peace.

Once I am finished I clean up and I get ready for my day. Breakfast is finished and my day can truly begin.

(Now for the actual story.)

I'm sitting at my kitchen table, watching as my good friend June went around the kitchen making two cups of tea. She's murmuring under her breath about how I should get a new toaster oven. As much as I like June, she always is able to find a flaw.

She finishes and sets the mug down. I prefer coffee to tea, but I don't argue. Tea takes longer to drink, but I have a minute to talk with her. She sits down and we're quiet for a minute. I do not want to have this talk with her, but I choose to any way. I like June and care for her heavily, but having this talk is not something I wanted to have so soon.

Politics. We don't agree about them. However, I've tried to get out of this and it didn't work. There's no more wiggle room, so we have to have this talk today. Not that she wants to have this talk either, but if we ever have a fight, we want to not make politics part of the fight. If there ever is one.

"So, we disagree on something." June begins. My head looks up at her and I look back down at my cup. I bounce my head up and down to motion she is correct. I don't really enjoy talking about things like this. June and I have been friends for years. We have to talk about this. June continues with what we were saying.

"Well, we can agree to disagree." I nod in agreement. She stands and gets a wheat product for the tea. She made toast. I ask her about her dog. June loves her dog. I have walked the dog for her a couple of times and made her a calender using pictures of her dog. She smiles broadly. I knew this was her favorite topic.

"Fluffy is good. He got groomed recently and likes to puff out his chest to the dogs at the dog park about it. He's so silly. I think some of the dogs get annoyed by it. The owners think he's 'Such a good dog.'" I smile and laugh a little bit. Fluffy is a good dog, but can be a bit pompous compared to other dogs.

"He is a good dog," I say. "He's really good at following directions and he never runs away. He holds still when you clip his nails and eats healthily." I smile and look up at her she sits back down at the table. She smiles back at me.

"Isn't that the truth?" She laughs and I laugh with her. She then moves topics and it surprises me. "How are your fish? You don't talk about them as much as you used to. I look up at her. I never thought she wanted to hear about my fish, so I didn't mention them as much. Everytime I mentioned it she'd change the topic.

"They're good. I just thought you didn't want to listen to me talk about them anymore." She looks up.

"Of course I do. Can I see them?" She asks. I nod and she fed them. We had a great get together and she eventually left.

January 13, 2022 14:27

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.