0 comments

General

Beneath the glaring moonlight is a maiden darting through the overcast woodland. As though being hunted, she bolted in precised speed.

"Traitors. You'll pay for every ounce of your greed"-- are the remarks darting as well in her mind. Remarks that inflamed her core to let the harbored wrath mount up within.

It's ridiculous to think that the entirety of her existence, in the end, she'll have to run and disappear in every location she stands. For every beings she encountered. Slapping her the reality that she's bound to live in desolation... Ten to one, until her last breath.

What's more ridiculous is finding her self in a paradox situation right now...

She halted on her tracks as she saw what's awaiting her on the other end of the route she intended to proceed.

A dead end...

With glowering eyes and laboured gasps, she gave the man on the other end a contemptuous stare. Notwithstanding the hostility her eyes are unveiling, there's no denying the faint gleam of emotion in it.

She's fully acquainted of the truth that her fury won't get her anywhere now..

"Mom, why do people kept on fighting?" I innocently inquired one starry night.

We're in the middle of our woodland. It's a usual night wherein the two of us stargazes. While I dream asleep.

"Why would you ask such profound question, my dear?" The woman I called mom then looked at me indulgently.

She's clothed in dark peplos and a crown on her head. Shining orbs surrounds her body like it was her soul's jewellery.

I pouted and thought about the persisting crimes on our city.

At a young age, I am already aware that all these crimes and battles will eventually lead to a more brutal death. For every actions, there will be a consequence. For every wrongdoings, there will be a punishment. For every conquest, there will be sacrifices.

And I was so sure I said that on my mind but the woman found a way to know what my thoughts are. I heard her sigh.

"Power and influence displaces in favor to those who immortalize such warfare."

How disappointing these people can be-- I commented inwardly. Mom then let out a laugh. I pouted again but kept quiet out of respect.

"But believe me if I say that this isn't for long." She smiled reassuringly.

That's what I look up to her about. Everything about her, from the outside to the core, evinces justice, purity and precision. And hope.

"The darkness emerges but the light is here more than ever. To be one with the starlights is what I hope for you to chase forever. Rise above the battlefield, my dear."

As all good things must come to an end. I never dreamt of her again. Like death of a dear loved one.

She's dying. I could smell the death from her. She whimpered so small but I don't know what to do. She can't breathe and couldn't see at the same time. She whimpered again. She whimpered to me but I still don't what to do. H-how? If I only knew how, if I only have the proper expertise and the knowledge. I wanted to help her breathe but every time I try, it seems like I'm making it more hard for her. I tried touching her softly, I tried doing it gently but that's all? How could I make her breathe? I don't know what to do. I know I'm not worthless but please I want her suffering to end. I.. I feel bad. It must've hurt so much to not be able to breathe and live properly. Just by watching them I feel stuck, like I'm trapped.. At my own body. I want to help. I miss her eyes. I miss her energy. I don't want her to die yet, I feel bad. Please. I don't want to just wait. I want this all to stop now. They're dying. They can't see the world properly.

How do you save a vixen in a hound-stricken world?

Vixen like us were sent by the gods as a punishment for all the grave crimes the city of Thebes committed. That was our destiny so the people perceived us as villains and so I believed in the midst of my grief and desolation. Ravaging the city was the order, so I'll obey with a vengeful heart.

In retrospect, for every actions there will be a consequence. For every ascendancy, there will be downfalls. Grief was what I had when I lost my sister. Then, remorse is what I've got when I ransacked thousand of lives. A vengeful heart got the best of me. I lost myself along for all.

The heavy flame of fury within won't get me anywhere..

Laelaps were then sent by the King of Thebes to exterminate the gigantic fox. I was destined never to be caught as the lone Teumessian fox. Howbeit, laelaps were created with special powers to catch all his prey. A paradoxical circumstance.

Notwithstanding that it's the case.. all hidebound must come to an end.

In laboured breaths and stare-down, he boldly made his way stepwise to my standstill position.

As the distance between us dwindled, his tracks gradually speed up to sprint. I couldn't deny the intense fear and apprehensive anticipation I felt as he get closer and closer to me.

*wham!!*

"AUURGHH!!!"

A jolting collision roared in the atmosphere. I saw with my own two orbs how the laelaps painfully bounced against an invisible pane, as it briefly gleamed between us. All the same, the force ebbed my feet backwards.

"W-what was that?.." I muttered under my breath.

The laelaps regained his strength and stood straight, one hand was on his rammed shoulders. I noticed the position of his injury. He was running straight at me..

"Paradox." He uttered.

"What?"

He looked iron-willed as he walked stepwise and halted close enough to the obscured pane between us. I unconsciously mirrored his act and stood close in front of him. I was about to press a hand lightly against us when he stopped me.

"It will hurt," he apprised in a low tone. Orbs reflecting small flashes of light, intently peered at mine.

"I know," as I forthwith pressed a hand against.

The obscured pane instantly glow and excruciating pain shoot through my arms. I frantically receded it.

He glared at me, "I warned you."

I retorted with a stare-down. "What better way to conclude this than with a companion? I somehow need the dip to gather ideas on to what extent the pain shoots."

He sighed at that.

"Paradox. A divine decree of certain court of destiny operates our nature. You were destined not to be caught and I was created to catch whatever I hunt down. They perpetuate it but we can break free from it. I realized that and thought that maybe I can persuade you to help us both. But being here now makes me ponder what comes after."

I don't get his defeated tone but I know.. I have to rise above this confusion.

"There they are!" Voices of my perpetrators in the backdrop. They've found me.

"When one thing's change, all things ahead follows. It's either you get better with the hindsights you gathered or much less than that." I asserted, voice unwavering.

"Chase down the fox and off with it's head!!" Everybody cheered as they lift their sharp spears and blazing torches.

The laelaps' downcast orbs leaped up to meet mine.

"I'm surprised you've realized this much earlier than me. Now we're on the same page. I am encouraging you now to lunge in this uncharted territory together." I further added.

"KILL IT!!"

I watched his eyes turn unyielding with my assurance and smiled as I remember the powerful words I once held on to.

"The darkness emerges but the light is here more than ever. To be one with the starlights is what I hope for us to chase forever. Let's rise above the battlefield together." I chanted as we both receded like the movement of tides out to sea.

Never minding the violent march of the nearing horde. In a bat of an eye, we dart through the obscured pane. As it instantly glow and blaze against our skin, we knew this encounter will be written down in eternity.

"AND THAT my dear, is the story of Canis Major and Canis Minor." I told the little girl nestled in my embrace.

"So that one's Laelaps and this one's Teumessian, Astraea?" Asterie inquired while pointing to the respective constellations.

I smiled and nodded indulgently as Asterie fell silent.

Every constellations have a story to tell then.

I can't help but smile proudly with her hindsights.

"Yes, dear. Just like humans do."

Her cute eyes widened a fraction at my straightforward comment. Oh dear, I know what you're thinking.

"You remind me of Teumessia, my dear." I smiled meaningfully.

"How?"

"Your inquisitiveness. Your fascination with stars and your name."

Asteria raised a brow and crumpled her forehead, "My name?"

"Mhmm."

I then looked at her starry orbs, "Of the stars."

July 24, 2020 15:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.