ELM STREET

Submitted into Contest #94 in response to: Start your story with someone accepting a dare.... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure Fiction Urban Fantasy

       “I dare you,” Mike says to Jim. “I dare you.” “Mark pops up and says, “Yea, Jim, Mike dares you.” He dared you, he dared you, the others yell. Jim just looks around. “Are you a chicken?” asks Mike. Bawk, bawk, chorus the others while flapping their arms. “No, I’m not a chicken,” replies Jim. “Well,” asks Mike. “Do you take my dare?” “First, let me make sure I understand the dare,” answers Jim. “He’s stalling ‘cause he’s chicken,” someone shouts. Yea, bawk, bawk, the others chorus again.

       “Ok,” Jim says to Mike, “Tell me again the details of the dare.” The two boys wander off, with their heads together, to the distant chiming, he’s chicken, he’s chicken.

       “Ok, I got it.” says Jim. “Meet me at the park after dinner and I will tell you if I accept the dare. Make sure some of the others are there.” “Sure thing,” replies Mike. “See you later.”

       “What are you planning to do after dinner?” Jim’s mother asks him. “I told Mike and the others I would meet them at the park. We might start up a game of soccer, if enough show up.” answers Jim. “You would only need two of you to kick a soccer ball back and forth,” adds his dad.  “I know, but it’s more fun when there’s more of us,” replies Jim. “Have you finished your homework?” his mom asks. “Yes, mom, all done.” moans Jim. “Well, have fun,” mentions his dad. “Don’t forget to be home by 9.” “I won’t,” shouts Jim as he closes the door and grabs his bike and he sets off down the sidewalk towards the park.

       Jim sees several of their friends waiting for him. He walks up to Mike and says loudly, “I accept your dare, Mike.” “Really,” Mike says, sounding shocked. He didn’t believe Jim would do it. “Tell us what the dare is, Mike,” Mark asks. “Sorry, I can’t,” replies Mike. “I’ll tell you after Jim goes through with it, if he dares. But, Mark, I will need a witness, do you think you can come?”   “I’ll tell my parents that you and Jim will be spending the night with me so we can sneak out and be back before they wake up. Mom and dad have movie night and will be tired when they go to bed late. After they check on us we‘ll sneak out.” replies Mike. “What night were you thinking?” Jim asks. “I think this Friday would be best.” answers Mike. “I will get my mom to call your moms to arrange for you to stay at my place.”

        After saying goodbye to Mike Jim ran home and got his bike, since Elm Street was a bit too far to walk. He wanted to have a look at the house and still manage to be home in time for dinner. It looked worse than he remembered the last time his parents drove by there. It seemed like the trees had grown taller, and the grass was so tall, he didn’t think he would be able to see if his dad was standing there, even though his dad is 6 feet tall. Someone had boarded the lower floor windows probably to keep out vandals. He could also tell that somebody must have been throwing stones at the upper windows. One window was broken and a curtain was flapping in the wind. Then his eyes moved up to the third floor. Those windows looked intact. They were too high up for anyone to throw a stone with enough force to cause damage. Thank goodness he isn’t expected to climb all the way up there. He next wanted to look at the trellis, but he couldn’t get a very good look at the side of the house from where he was standing on the sidewalk, so he rode his bike around the block, set it against the fence and tried to sneak into the back yard. Things looked even worse there. The fence was very tall and the gate had been secured. Walking along the fence, Jim found a spot where some of the boards had rotted. When he pushed through he found himself in another world like a jungle of tall grass and out of control weeds. Creepy. It gave him the shivers.  He felt the hair stand up on his arms and neck. He was certain he heard rustling amongst the tall weeds, maybe a cat searching for mice. But, he was determined to go through with the dare, so he very cautiously made his way to the side of the house where the trellis was. It felt sturdy when he shook it, but who knows if it would be as sturdy all the way up. It would be a hard climb, with the vines climbing over and tangling around each other. It would be difficult finding places to grab hold of and places for his feet. He was so determined to go through with the dare, because he was tired of Mike thinking he was the king of the neighborhood. Maybe he should dare Mike to go through with the dare with him. That would show him.

       Everything has been confirmed with Jim and Mark’s parents so they can stay over at Mike’s Friday night. The boys decided to watch some action movies that Mike received for his birthday. His mother supplied them with a lot of treats, so they were set for the night. At about 10 p.m. Mike’s father came to check on the boys. They were still watching movies. His dad told them not to stay up too late and please be quiet, because he and his mother were tired. “No problem, dad,” adds Mike. “We will be so quiet that you wouldn’t even know we were here. Goodnight.”

       About 11:30 Mike sneaks down the hallway and listens at his parent’s door. All he could hear was his dad’s snoring. “All clear,” he tells Jim and Mark, when he returns to his bedroom. “Let’s go. Do you have your flashlight?” he asks Jim. “I do, and my jacket, since I am sure it will be cold up in the attic.” Since Mark was going to be the witness, Mike told him the details of the dare. “I wouldn’t do it,” states Mark. “Firstly, I’m afraid of heights and secondly I’m afraid of the dark.” “Where will you and Mark be waiting for me?” asks Jim. “We will be coming back here until it’s time to come and see you walk out the front door.” answers Mike. “Remember, you have to climb up the trellis to the second floor and get through a window, then go up to the attic. Once you get there you have to signal me from the window. Just flash you light on and off a few times and I will do the same after I see your signal.” “Got it,” calls Jim, as he makes his way to the side yard where he tested the trellis earlier. 

       “It’s creepy out here,” Mark whispers to Mike. “Don’t worry; we can leave as soon as Jim signals me. It will be okay.” “What if he falls, how will we know.” “When we see his signal, we will know he made it” replies Mike.  “It shouldn’t take him more than a few minutes to climb then go up to the attic. There, he made it,” states Mike, when he sees Jim’s signal. I told you it would be okay. After Mike signals back, Jim calls down, “see you at 6 a.m.”, bracing himself for the long night ahead, again wondering if this was such a good idea.

May 21, 2021 02:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.