2 comments

Fiction Inspirational Drama

In all my eighteen years going up here, I had never been this deep into the forest at the edge of my backyard, especially in the dark. 

With only my backpack to carry a change of clothes a couple sandwiches, some chips and a flashlight, I set out on foot, following this described shortcut to get to the town next over. No one knew I was leaving, but it was time. I snuck away in the dark to avoid the bitter tears and arguments intended to convince me to stay. It was time to make a life of my own, and I knew the way. It was only a seven mile walk this way. 

The moon filled a cloudless sky when I left, but it got darker the deeper I went into the woods. I pulled out my flashlight in order to light the strait trail in front of me so it would be easier to stay on. 

I walked a good distance, eyes focused on the path, when I came upon a startling vision. I noticed the path had vaguely started to twist and turn.

I stopped in my tracks, wiping my hands over my eyes. I surmised I was tired and seeing things. I took my hands from my eyes and shone the flashlight up again, the beam reflecting the golden eyes of a boy on a black unicorn. I don’t have golden eyes or a unicorn, but I’m sure the boy is me. His face looked just like mine, except for the color of our eyes. I stared at him through the hazel of my own.

The boy spoke. “I live in these woods and I know where you’re going. Follow me and I’ll take you there.”

Dumbfounded, I shook my head and stuttered. “No. No, thanks - I’ll just keep following this path.”

“Okay,” said the golden-eyed me, “call when you need me. You know my name.” And with that, he, upon the unicorn, disappeared Into the shadows. I sat for a minute to get my bearings. I told myself it must have been just a shadow, then started off again, walking along the trail, led by the beam of my flashlight.

An owl hooted in the distance. I turned my head in the direction of the far-off sound and stumbled over a rock. I cursed as I picked myself up from the ground, rubbing a bruised knee. I needed to stay focused, especially as this path became twistier and rockier than I expected. I trained my light back on the trail and continued hiking. 

My legs were weary. It felt like I had been following this trail for miles and would soon near the end, but I could see no end, nor hear any traffic from the road it approached. According to the map I had studied before embarking on this journey, the trail was a straight shot, only about seven miles before meeting the road I intended to come out on. 

I kept walking, trying to keep a steady pace forward, but the trail kept twisting and turning around trees and rocks and roots obstructed my path.

My flashlight went out, the beam refusing to return with my attempts to stop, and shake and beg it to come back. I decided I needed to sit and rest. I could re-assess the situation of the woods by daylight, and most likely head back home to try again when I felt more prepared.

I fished a sandwich from my pack and bit into the PB&J eagerly. I didn’t realize how hungry I had grown! Just then, an idea popped into my head.

Feeling silly, I whispered my name, “Jacob?” No answer. I called louder. “Jacob!”

In front of me, the boy and the unicorn appeared from the shadows. 

“Yes, young Jacob? How can I help?”

I started stammering to myself. ”H-How do I get where I’m going in this darkness? Or do I just go home?”

“Basically, you want to get to the other side of these woods, right?”

“Yes. Then I can begin my life.”

“You have already begun. You’ve come this far; do you really want to turn back now?”

“Well, not really, but I see no other option.”

“I know these woods well. If you hop on with me, Jupiter and I can take you where you want to go. The decision is yours.”

I didn’t know what to say. I felt confused, my mouth agape.

The unicorn snorted and pawed the ground.

“Okay. We must move along. If you decide to continue, just call our name and we’ll be back. If not now, maybe we’ll cross paths in the future.”

Again, I stared after them as they were swallowed up in the darkness. I couldn’t speak or move for a few minutes. I didn’t know what to do!

I thought for a bit, then I heard shuffling and grunting noises coming from the darkness around me. With no light to pick them out, the noises made me nervous and restless. I needed to move.

“Jacob?!” I called. “Jacob and Jupiter! I need help!”

At once, they appeared in front of me, the golden-eyed boy upon the woolen-horned horse, walking without a stumble in the blackness.

Jacob and the unicorn stopped beside me. Golden-eyed Jacob reached his hand down to help me onto Jupiter’s back. Jacob asked “Which way?” As he helped me find my seat behind him. “Home or forward?”

“Forward, though the woods to the other side.”

“I thought so,” replied Jacob. Jupiter started forward.

We proceeded through the darkness for what seemed an eternity, but I’m sure it wasn’t. The trees were starting to thin and I could see a bit of sunlight starting to streak the sky.

“This is where we must part,” said Golden-eyed Jacob as Jupiter stopped and the boy who wasn’t really me, helped me to the ground. “Good-bye and good-luck, Young Jacob. Just call our name if you need help through the woods again.”

I waved as they drifted away back into the forest. I surveyed where we had come out of the woods. It was not quite where I expected, but I could see where I wanted to go from here. 

March 17, 2023 14:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Emilie Ocean
20:46 Mar 24, 2023

Thank you for this magical story, Keila. I am left with so many questions about those woods and the kind of world Jacob lives in. The second you mentioned dark woods, a backpack, and a flashlight, I knew I'd like the plot! I wish there was a more detailed description of Jupiter, so I could picture your unicorn in all its glory, but knowing it's wooly was enough to put a smile on my face. Lovely story :)

Reply

Keila Aartila
21:20 Mar 24, 2023

Thank you so much! I would have love, loved to go more in-depth on describing Jupiter! So glad you're interested! So glad you enjoyed this little tale. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.