0 comments

Drama Contemporary Friendship

The fire alarm buzzes at an increasing rate at 3 a.m. Sunday. Janneke throws a coat around her shoulders, scrambling from their room, closely following the rest of the guests hustling down the seven flights of metal steps. Sobbing and wailing from small children echoing as everyone descends the steps to the main floor.  Janneke’s jaw aches, droplets of sweat start to sting her eyes, fingers clutching the smooth railing to keep her from tumbling into the person in front.

A man behind Janneke lost his balance, fell headlong into the back of her creating a chain reaction. Janneke’s foot slips, bumping into a lady on the next step. ‘Hey, watch it,’ the woman sneered, glaring back at Janneke. ‘Sorry,’ Janneke said to prevent an incident from escalating. But, the man behind her stumbles for the second time. Janneke slows down her pace, keeping her body tight against the railing in hopes of avoiding cascading further down the steps.  She would do anything in her power to keep from falling into those who are in front of her.

“How long?” Someone asked amidst the grumblings of those crowded on the steps as more people join from other floors.    Tension begins to mount as fear like a wildfire spreading amongst strangers trudging down the stairs, with every floor making it more dangerous to move and soon shoveling among a few patrons. But, Janneke keeps her distance from harm's way, reminding herself of why she is here. Finally, it’s getting to safety.

“Hey, hurry up,” a teenager said, his voice trailing off into the background, is soon joined by others who also echo his frustration with a few older adults ambling down the stairs. Still, others try to weave around those who instead take their time. Like Janneke, she focuses on what lies ahead, not what is behind.

Hey, watch where you’re going,” the man in front of Janneke said.

“I’m so s-s-sorry.”

“Well, you better be”

Janneke ambles down the few remaining steps maneuvering her way through the different groups huddling together in the lobby. Whispers ripple among the guest. Janneke leans against the side door near the Front Desk, lost in her thoughts that she isn’t paying attention to the lady coming toward her.

“Well, there you are, Ms. Janneke,” the lady said, “I’ve been looking everywhere for you. Where have you been?”

“I.., um been.”

“Been where?”

“I was -”

“Never mind, now come with me.”

“Y-y-yes, Ms. Peterson.”

Janneke shadows Ms. Peterson’s steps as they weave through the different groups of people, back to the table where she had been waiting for Janneke’s arrival. Ms. Peterson leans in closer. Her breath warms Jannekes’ cheeks, a heavy cloak of silence hovers over them, the sound of fingers drumming on the table is drowned by the chaos of Fireman exiting the building. Janneke leans back away from her employer, Ms. Melody Peterson. She secretly wishes to be somewhere else, home, asleep in her bed, and far away from here. But,  instead, she finds herself under the watchful eye of Ms. Peterson, the company’s CEO.

“Ms. Janneke?”

“Huh?”

“Is that all you can say is ‘huh?’

“Um., n-n-no, I,” Janneke said, “I am sorry for leaving you as I did.”

“So, why didn’t you wait for me when the fire alarm sounded?

” I don’t know, I was afraid, I guess,” Janneke said, “I am s-s-s0rry.”

“Well, you should be sorry. After all, you left me behind.”

Janneke forces a wry smile, glances over toward the elevator. Fight or flight, what should she do? Should she take a chance and speak about her ordeal or let Ms. Peterson stays upset with her?  But, from her personal experiences with Ms. Peterson, no matter what she said or didn’t say, it won’t make a difference.  So, Janneke decides to keep her thoughts to herself. It’s easier to let things slide.

“Where are you going?” Ms. Peterson asked

“Oh, to get a cup of c-c-coffee. Do you want some?”

“No, thank you. Ms. Janneke,” Ms. Peterson said, “I plan to go back upstairs and freshen up for our scheduled meeting this morning.”

“Yeah, you’re right,” Janneke said, stumbling to her feet

“Are you coming?”

The elevator music plays in the background. Janneke squeezes in front of Ms. Peterson aboard the tiny box as it shimmers and shakes its way up to the seventh floor. Janneke self consciously watches each floor number as it lights up, taking in tiny breathes of air, till this contraction stops and the steel doors open.

“Oh,?” I, um.., forgot”

“You what? Ms. Peterson asked

“I, I forgot my key.”

“Well, I guess that it’s a good thing that I didn’t forget to grab it before I left the room.”

With one swift swipe, green light flashes, letting them back in the room. Relieved to be back in their hotel room after the chaos earlier this morning, Janneke lays on her bed.

***

The gray clouds hamper the sun rays, a hint of rain threatens their walk from the hotel to the Convention Center. Still, everything that has happened to them this morning is weighing heavy upon Janneke’s heart. From the threat of fire to the pending meeting with a  rival company. She knows the danger of voicing her opinion. Still, Janneke’s loyalty has always been to her fellow employees through these difficult times. With the pending threat of closing down their company.  It’s a difficult time for everyone, and now Janneke has a chance to make a difference. The question is, what will she do?

Ms. Peterson’s plan is finally materializing to revitalize her company and, more importantly, advance her career.  It’s been a long time since Melody dream of saving her company. But, with all her plans, there is only one person that stands in the way of success, Janneke. Nevertheless, it is because of Jannekes heartfelt belief that there are other ways to turn things around, is the reason that Melody has chosen to go a different route, one that Janneke can ruin if she learns the whole truth behind their meeting.

“Ms. Janneke, you’re quiet.”

“I don’t have anything to say.”

“Very well. I hope that you’ll follow my lead when we arrive at the meeting.”

“Yes, Ms. Peterson”

“Good, we’re here.”

The building looms high above the concrete walkway. Its imposing structure reminds Janneke of something from the future, its’ glimmering steel panels and golden windows reflecting the dim light from the sun.   A remarkable building, Janneke thought as the automatic doors open to a fluorescent-lit room. A modest wood grain desk, the young lady, seated glances up for a brief moment, closing the nail polish bottle.

“Good morning. How may I help you?” She said

“Yes, we’re here to see Mr. Boyd,” Ms. Peterson said

“Do you have an appointment?”

“Yes”

“May I have your names, please.”

“Ms. Melody Peterson and this is Ms. Janneke Johnson”

“Very well, fifth floor, Room 536.”

“Thank you,” Janneke said, with a side glance to her boss.

A security guard stands next to the elevators, checking visitors' identifications. Then, after handing him their license, he motions them into the lift. Janneke ambles across the threshold, followed by Melody when the doors close. Leaning across the wall, Janneke twists a strand of her dark hair, pondering whether or not to remind silent or to speak her mind.

“Ms. Peterson, why are we here,” she said, “I mean, what exactly is this meeting for?”

“That is no concern of yours, Ms. Johnson.”

“No, you’re wrong. However, it is my concern, and I would like to have an answer.”

“Now is not the place nor the time to have this discussion.”

“But-“

‘Ding’ the doors open, a sigh of relief, Ms. Peterson is the first to stroll onto the plush natural carpet with Janneke following a couple of steps behind her  Two men brush by them, scurrying down the hall, followed by a woman who stopped and asked if they need any help. 

“Yes, we’re looking for Mr. Boyd’s office, room number 536.” Ms. Peterson said

“Oh, you’re in luck. I am heading there myself.” She said, “Follow me.”

Janneke’s jaws tighten, her shoulders ache, slowing down her pace until she is three steps behind the two of them.   But, Ms. Peterson and Amanda, who introduced themselves, their voices trailing off, never noticed that Janneke was falling behind. 

“Here we are,” Amanda said, opening up the door where a group of both men and women are already seated around an oval-shaped table with leather chairs, except for two vacant chairs at the end of the table.

“Welcome, my dear Melody,” an older gentleman sporting a taupe said

“Thank you, Frank, it’s so nice to see you again,” Melody said,

Turning his attention to Janneke, and asked, “And you are?”

“Nobody ever bothers to ask me my name,” Janneke said, with her eyes downcast, walking past Mr. Boyd.

“Her name is Ms.  Janneke Johnson. You know the one I’ve been talking about.”

“Oh, yeah, well, won’t you two ladies have a seat.”

Janneke sits directly across Melody, who peers over her glasses straight into Jannekes’ brown eyes. Her shoulders started to tighten, under Ms. Peterson’s glare, gripping the arms of the chair, holding her breath.  What did he say? A takeover, no, that can’t be right.

“No,” Janneke said,

“Excuse me, Ms. Johnson, what did you mean by ‘No’?”

“I’m s-s-sorry, Mr. Boyd.”

“Is there a problem with what I was saying about the merger?”

“Y-y-yes, there is, sir,” Janneke said,

“What are some of your concerns?”

“Well, for one, I’m concerned about the employees who are currently working at “Ralph’s Catering company?”

“Ms. Johnson, that isn’t any of your concern,” Ms. Peterson said.

“Yes, it is my concern. Why else would you have brought me here?”

“Ladies, please follow me,” Frank said.

***

Mr. Boyd ushers them into a joining room, instructing them to have a seat to talk things through. After all, with the merger on the line, he cannot afford any unseen problems.

“Melody, you told me that there would not be any problems.”

“But-“

“But she has a problem with this deal.. So what are you going to do with her?”

“I’ll handle her, don’t worry.”

“Excuse me?” Janneke said, yeah, you’ll handle me all right. No, not this time. I will not remain silent. My job is at stake, and so is everyone else's.

“Remember, no problems,” Frank said, closing the door behind him

Melody paces the floor, glancing over toward Janneke, seated on an overstuffed chair, shakes her head in disgust.  All that she had fought for, saving her company, her advancement, everything hangs on a thread, and for what, Janneke’s conscience.  Who does she think she is? I’m the owner, and I know what is best, not her. 

“Ms. Johnson, why are you bent on causing a problem?’

“I’m not, but you should be more concern about your employees instead of what you hope to gain by  this merger.”

“You don’t understand this is the only way to ensure that our business will not close for good”

“I do understand, more than you know. And it’s the employees that will lose because of this takeover.”

“Regardless of what you may think, Ms. Johnson, the papers are already signed. And there is nothing more to discuss.”

Janneke couldn’t believe what she heard, that the deal went through. Tears welled up in her eyes, and her heart ached for the employees and what will become of them. Everything about what she thought is slipping through her fingers. So now, what is left for her to do? Should I fight? Or shall I should I do what I have always done, nothing, or stand up for the employees?

“Excuse, Melody,” Frank said as he peeks into the room, “Do you mind leaving us?”

“Of course,” Ms. Peterson answer, ambling through the door, closing it after leaving the room.

“Now, Janneke, it seems that you don’t fully understand about this merger between our two companies.”

“I understand perfectly-“  no worries here, Mr. Boyd, I know everything.

“Let me finish. My company is confident  that it is in our best interest to make some changes with the personal-“

“I already know what you are going to say”

“No, you don’t,” Frank said, “ We have decided to offer you the position of the new CEO of Ralph’s Catering company.’

‘M-m-me?” Did I hear him right?  CEO?

“So, will you take the job?”

“I don’t understand, Mr. Boyd. What about Ms. Peterson? 

“Janneke, she will be working with Mr. Phillips department,” he said, “but I am waiting for your answer. Will you take the job?”

“Yes, yes I will.” Of course, I will. Who wouldn’t?

***

The air is crisp, and a chill lingers as Janneke strolls back to their hotel. Her mind races like a whirlwind, thoughts about what happened. In a blink of an eye, she is now the company's new CEO. Jannekes dream has materialized, protecting the employees from losing their jobs. But what about Ms. Peterson.

           Yeah, what about her? She won’t be happy about this, will she? No, I guess not.

            I imagine Ms. Peterson is probably pretty upset by now. So give her time, right? Give her time, yeah, give her some time.

Janneke passed by the Front desk, hops in the elevator, her hands clammy as she closes her eyes, visualizing seeing Ms. Peterson. Oh, well, she takes in a breath of air, slowly releasing it back into the tin box. Everything that has happened seems like a dream, one that Janneke never thought would happen.

Janneke trudges toward their hotel room. She stops outside the door, takes a deep breath, and then opens up the door, expecting to find Ms. Peterson stands there with her arms crossed But, Ms. Peterson glances up from gathering up the rest of her things, stuffing them inside her suitcase.

“You’re leaving?” Janneke asks

“Yes, what did you expect?”

“But, I thought-“

“You thought what? That I would forgive you for stabbing me in the back? ’ Or perhaps wishing you good luck as the new CEO? ’ Ms. Peterson said, “Is that what you wanted?

‘I, I am so-“

“Don’t pity me, Ms. Johnson. I don’t want nor need your sympathy. Ms. Peterson picked up her suitcase and said, “Good day, Ms. Johnson.

Janneke watches her close the door, and now she waits for a new adventure to begin. Still, a part of her wishes for things to go back to ‘normal, whatever that is, but Janneke's life will never be the same. It all comes down to this, Janneke whispers, “a chance to prove to all those who doubted me before will realize that I am somebody.  A person who cares for others, a voice rising from the ashes. 

June 11, 2021 19:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.