0 comments

Contemporary Fiction Fantasy

I am no doubt mute but I can reflect. What else do you expect a mirror to do? I have been in the service of the Hawkins since several years. In fact, it was John’s great grandfather who had bought and installed me in the house where I continue. John uses me to comb his thinning hair. Melba is John’s wife. I still remember the time about 27 years ago or so when she was brought home wrapped in a bright red little quilt by her mother who came straight at me to fondle Melba and kissing her while looking at me. Of course, Melba didn’t see me as her eyes were closed. She was a pretty baby with nice curls even as a baby.

As a child Melba would often come to gaze in me carrying her pygmy doll. She would stare at me and stroke the cheeks of the dolls as she kissed them. She would play with Greg the boy from next door. He wasn’t interested in looking at me. He would only make faces at me and tease Melba. Over the years Melba grew up fast and soon developed into a beautiful young woman. She started spending long hours with me. There wasn’t a single part of her that I haven’t seen. She was gorgeous in the nude. Believe me, as I’ve seen so many of her ancestors that way! One weekend she had to go to a party. In preparation she went to a beauty salon and returned looking transformed. She wanted to admire herself and stood looking at me a long time. Then she took off her clothes one by one and stood pirouetting naked before me. There wasn’t a square millimetre of herself which I didn’t see. She had a bath and being naughty rubbed herself with rouge at many points of her body. Her viewing herself in me was interrupted by a phone call. She said “Hello John! Sure, I’ll be in the party.” She continued “Okay. Will Jenifer also join? You aren’t sure. Bye for now.”

She went for her bath and dressed herself very carefully. She said softly “I hate that Jenifer and her show off. I know she has her eye on John but ……. .“ She put on perfume over her new flowered pink dress which emphasized her graceful figure. That done one more dab of powder on the nose, a little smear of the lipstick on the corner of her lips and she was ready. Carrying her hand bag she took one long look at me and then was gone.

That night it was past 9 when Melba returned. She looked agitated and her mother Kate came asking about it.

Melba said “That Jenifer spoilt the evening. She made her entry late in a dress which revealed her vast cleavage and my friends and I were angry at her show off. Of course she did her best to entice John but he was firmly with me. However, as the party was closing she spoke to John and told him she wanted a lift home. He had to agree. I drove back. I wasn’t angry with John. Only with Jenifer. She is….” I’ve removed all expletives used as thy would be most offensive.  Then she said “Someone must teach that ……. a lesson she won’t forget.”

Years passed and Jenifer who married someone else elsewhere was forgotten. Melba got married to John and I dwell in their house now. Melba became a mother and I saw the new arrival Rex being  carried around. Rex was indeed a good-looking baby. He would come at me with his gollywog and smear me with dirt. John would tell his maid Mercy to clean me every day but she was lazy and woūldn’t do a good job.

I must now tell you what I know about Mercy. She was short and dark and would do her job after her bath in this house and wearing an apron over her shirt over jeans. Of course when the family wasn’t home, she would come nude and stand before me much to my annoyance. I would be most unhappy to see her body and the way she would misuse Melba’s cosmetics. She was a woman with 2 children and I’ve heard her telling Melba about her personal problems. She would say “I’ve told you my husband Nat works for the sewage department. He drinks a lot. It is rumoured that Nellie who lives in the quarter next to ours has a son through him. Could’ve happened while I was away and he was probably drunk. Nellie is you know…. . Nat has no money even to run our family but keeps advancing money to Nellie. Nellie’s husband is an old man and is ill. I hope he dies soon when Nellie will be kicked out of the quarter. Madam I’m telling you all my problems in the hope you’ll raise my salary and also give me my three months’ pay in advance as I’ve to undergo a medical procedure requiring hospitalization.”

Melba said “I’m already over paying you. You know I’ve written off the 2 earlier advances you had sought on medical grounds and which I had granted.”

Mercy wept and still Melba stood her ground.

Meanwhile Melba’s old rival Jenifer who had become a widow was back to her home not far from Melba’s. Melba invited Jenifer to join in their home for a party to celebrate their son Rex’s birthday. I saw Jenifer and was astonished to find she was still looking attractive exposing even more of the overblown cleavage contents. I was witness as she had found time off to use the toilet and adjust her dress in front of me!

Then came some unpleasantness: Melba had discovered a piece of paper containing the phone number of a Shirley in John’s coat pocket. She questioned him but he said he knew no Shirley. Melba had tried that number several times but it went to a man who cursed the caller for disturbing him. The relationship between[A1]  the couple had soured. Shortly thereafter Mercy quit service with Melba.                                          

That day John had come home from work when he said “Melba…”

“What news from Shirley?”

“I’ve always told you I know no Shirley but you won’t believe me. The wife of a gardener at our workplace came to me a couple of days ago offering to substitute for Mercy. I forgot to mention it to you. We could use her. There, she has come. Talk to her.”

The woman said “Madam, I know Mercy and she is a no good. She has now joined to work for Jenifer.”

Melba discussed the terms said “Okay. You can start working for us from the first of next month.”  Then in privacy she spoke to John. She said “I suspect Mercy’s hand in creating this misunderstanding between us.”

He said “I’m glad the misunderstanding has been cleared. I say solemnly that I know no Shirley. I feel that name and phone number had been planted by Mercy to cause trouble between you and me.”

Let me continue my reflections. I would’ve spoken the truth if I could: I did see Mercy planting a bit of paper in John’s jacket. I continue to be a mute spectator since I’m devoid of speech!

END

 [A1]

July 04, 2021 01:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.