0 comments

General

After a long day of lectures and note taking I am finally free to have some peace and quite in the art building. I set up shop in one of the many rooms closing the door behind me to keep it as quiet as I could. It took a little while to decide what I wanted to work with today. I decided on a medium size blank canvas and some bright colors. I sat on a stool in front of the canvas that fit snuggly in the easel. I closed my eyes taking in deep slow breaths just too relax myself and help the creativity flow.

 

A sudden loud chirping from my phone had my eyes popping open and my teeth clenching. I leaned towards the table grabbing the device that was the reason for my annoyance. The word “mom” displayed across the screen. I sighed while answering the call pressing the phone to my ear. “Hey momma” I greeted softly. “Hey baby boy! How are you? Are your classes going well? Any new friends? What about any girls?” She rattled off questions faster than I could comprehend. “Mom, I love you but you seriously have to slow down. Everything is fine. I’m actually trying to work on a painting so can I call you back later?” I tried to sound cheerful but I knew my grumpy mood could be heard. “Oh, of course baby, I love you!” She squealed loudly. “Love you too mom” with that I hung up and switched my phone to silent.

 

I have an art project for something that has alternate meanings. For the life of me I can’t figure anything out. I sat in the quiet for a few minutes just thinking over several options before I decided to just paint. Sometimes things just happen so lets see if this is one of those times. I dipped my brush in the paint making sure it was perfect before making my first strokes onto the blank canvas.

 

Only a few minutes into the project still unsure of what I was painting the door to the classroom flew open slamming against the wall making me jump. The brush flew across the canvas making a large unwanted streak of purple. I groaned setting the palette and brush on the table. Jenny was wide eyed standing in the doorway. I haven’t seen her look like that since she received the entire series of Buffy the Vampire Slayer on DVD for her birthday one year.

 

“Can I help you?” I asked looking her over. Her lips curled into an evil looking grin as she took quick steps over to me. “I did it” she said in a breathy, exasperated kind of voice. “What did you do?” I asked not sure if I wanted to know the answer. “Davidson Theater” she said in the same voice with that extremely uncomfortable smile on her face. The light bulb flicked on in my head at her words. “You got the part?” I asked in surprise. “Don’t act like it’s such a big surprise. I can act just as good as you can paint.” She said smugly crossing her arms. I smirked turning back to the painting with the horrible giant purple line. “If that’s true than I really am surprised you got the part.” I chuckled turning back to her. She slapped my bicep playfully. “Shut up, you’re one of the best painters I’ve ever seen.” She smiled. “I appreciate that Jenny. Congrats on landing that part but I am trying to work on a project that I now have to restart because your dramatic entrance created a purple eye sore.” I chuckled turning back to the canvas.

 

I felt her hands on my shoulders as she leaned over me to look at the canvas. I felt her shrug then let go of me. “I kind of like it. It makes me think of some kind of light and dark thing you got going on.” She smiled as she pointed up and down the canvas. A sudden clear picture formed in my head that I needed to work on immediately. “Jenny you’re brilliant and I owe you one but please leave.” I said with a huge grin as I grabbed my palette and brush once more. I heard her chuckle then quickly leave the room.

 

I was halfway threw the painting with a clear idea of what I wanted. It was really starting to take shape and I loved it. A loud blaring horn sounded just outside the classroom window. I groaned being completely down with these interruptions. I glanced around the canvas to see the band and a few other students all decked out in our college colors for the game later today. They were cheering and playing their instruments very loudly. Why here? They had the entire campus to do that and they chose right outside the classroom I’m trying to work in. Why?

 

I tried to tune them out as I went back to work. I was able to get a little more done before the full band started playing the fight song as loud as they possibly could. All the students started singing, no, screaming the words as loud as they could. I ground my teeth holding in what sanity I have left to try to finish this project. I’m almost done. Just a little bit more and I’ll be completely finished. “Alex! Come on! Why are you in here all by yourself?” Someone shouted as they opened the door to my classroom. I felt everything in me overflow. “I’m trying to do a project for the love of God! Will everyone please leave me alone?” I shouted at the poor girl standing by the door. Without a word she scurried back down the hall and out of the room. I ran an exasperated hand down my face completely forgetting I had just been painting. I could feel the wet paint now on my skin.

 

“Why me?” I grumbled turning back to the almost completed canvas. I quickly tried to finish before someone else wanted to interrupt me. Only a few more strokes, a little more shading, some touch ups here and finally I’m done. I threw the palette and brush into the sink throwing my hands up in exhausted victory. I turned to take another look at my completed work. I nodded in approval before turning to clean myself off.

October 07, 2019 19:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.