0 comments

Contemporary Inspirational Science Fiction

Fish's Pit Stop is one of the most favorite pet shop in Cedarcreek, Mississippi. The whole town comes here. The enjoy visiting the aquarium. They have a huge dog park. It's right off of County Road 80 and Paden Street.

Harold had been looking for new employees. He had a "Now Hiring" sign in the front of the store where those driving down the street can see the sign. After weeks of interviewing people. He found plenty of men and women to hire.

One employee in particular. Harold had spend a couple of days explaining how the booking process is done while this man while putting paperwork away. Harold explained the alphabetical order it goes.

Then one day.

"I told you Harold, I know what I'm doing! Those papers belong in those files. I'm going to do what I'm going to do!"

"But, I showed you how filing these paperwork in these particular bookkeeping order is done."

"I know what I'm doing!"

"No! You don't!

" Yes!"

"You're FIRED! Just because you think you can take charge and change the very way things are done and think you can pay your bills like this? Then GET OUT!"

"Fuck you!"

This guy threw his pen on the floor and stomped out.

It's my second day at this job. I like working at this store.

"Good morning"

"Good morning Harold"

"I got done sweeping the floor in the restroom. The toliet's clean. Those two couples got checked in. One set of these folks is checking out the aquarium. They even bought some dog food. Jane over brought in their cat."

"Ok. Come to the back."

In the back room. Harold showed Chase a way of slizing open an area of a hip of a cat using a manikin.

"Here, hold on to this side of the skin with this size H clamp."

"Alright. Now, what?"

"Just hold still."

"Now hand me the medium size twiser."

"Here."

"Good. Now, pay attention. Don't be afraid to grip it good. Let's switch and you try."

Chase and Harold switched places.

Now in the other room where this couple were waiting in with their cat.

"Ma'am? Where did you say princess's side of her right hurt?

" It's lower."

"How long now?"

"A couple weeks now."

"Chase here just started and has been in his paid training process."

"Alright."

"I'll him take care of princess. That ok with you?"

"Have at it."

Chase took Princess to the back room.

"Alright, hold on to Princess while I put in the numbing shot."

"It's ok Princess. Hold still, I'm not going to hurt you. Sam is right here. It's ok."

Princess looked away while Chase gave her her shot. "Meow", Princess meowed softly. Now, it's time to get more ready for surgery. Placing Princess laying down on the table. Sam held Princess down on her right side.

" Alright. Slizing a small line. About an half inch into that lower side of Princess's hip. Good Princess, you're doing great."

"Meow", Princess meowed sweetly.

Grabbing now the medium size twiser. Chase gently inserted the twisser to get the excess skin out of Princess's hip that seem to be clogging her hip.

" I got this twisser in at 45 degree angle pointing left where I can lift this excess skin out. Now just a nudge Princess."

"She's doing well", said Sam.

" Meow"

"You're doing great Princess", Sam said.

" A little tug to the left I mentioned earlier. And, she's out."

"Good." Sam said smiling.

"Now to sow her up. I'm glad I didn't have to go more than a half inch in deep in her hip than I should."

Bring Princess to her room. Princess was bandaged well. Her owners were in this room waiting patiently.

"Princess!" Exclamed Mrs. Truner. So happy to see her cat. "How was the surgery?" Chase answered, "the surgery went very well. She will need antibiotics for the healing wound to speed up the process. Do you have a bed in her box to provide comfort while you and your husband drive home?"" Yes." "Great. Be sure to let Princess rest for a week. Give her extra water. Give her her antibiotics twice a day." "I will." Mrs. And Mr. Turner were very pleased that Princess got through her surgery and were happy to go home.

This afternoon I shook the rug outside and vaccumed the rug in the lobby. I sweapt the lobby and mopped the floow.

It was my turn to check in other pets. Place their paperwork in the filing cabinets in order. I also spoke with people while they were shopping for their favorite products in the store. I enjoyed seeing how happy most of the people were. Mostly everyone loves to go in the aquarium to hang out with the aquarium fishes.

"Sir, is Sam attending to you?"

"Yes he is."

Luckly. Through out the day. Harold gave me a list of all the medical procesures, antibiotics and other medicines pets ever need memorized. This has been helpful. Sometimes, I had to look back on it to keep myself in check.

I clocked out this evening. "Great work!" "Thanks Harold." "I'll see you here tomorrow. I'll be sure to have the next shipment of shampoo for dogs in so you can put the right shelf. Be sure other nets are on right side of the store. Will you?" "Yeah, sure." "Did you need anything else?" "No. Everything is running fine. You usually get work done before I come in the morning which is good." "Alright, I'll be here in the morning."

Walking down the aisle of the store. I made sure there was no clutter. All the items were put away. I swept and mopped the floow before I left.

Leaving work. I told Sam,"I like this job so far. Harold, our boss showed me how to get a surgery done." "That's good." "I feel confident that I can keep this job. I'm glad I've been pay attention." "It's always good to ask questions."

June 16, 2022 20:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.