I won't be silenced anymore...

Submitted into Contest #33 in response to: Write a story about a character making a big change.... view prompt

2 comments

General

It was a white ventilated room where a mild quota of fresh air was hitting from the open window at the end of the room, the room consists of many wires, equalizers, mics, lights and there were wooden bookshelves at one corner which smelled as the pixies of knowledge all kept together amid an abundance of the crowd. The new books were kept rested on the edge of the panel. The lights were bright as a beaming sun, chatterings were getting loud from the audience side, a mic testing was done by counting a one, two, three for the panel discussion of the brand new release of the book, "I won't be silenced anymore..." There were many banners with her name on it. 

She peeped through the flowy red linen curtains and to my surprise there was a sea of people gathered for the afternoon, with excitement and sparks on their faces. She never thought of this, it felt like a dream for her. When she first thought of writing this book it all came disturbed and unwanted but little did she know it would have changed her life for real. She released the portion of the curtain she was holding earlier and started to scroll through her phone to check any message from her brother.

She was sweating like a blowing fountain, she was scared to go on the stage and answer all the questions from all the media persons. It was all new for her.

A voice from her behind called her, "Rups, don't worry you got this!"

She exhaled with a smile knowing it was her brother Amish. She immediately hugged him.

"Amish you came, I'm so glad you came", she said while holding his hands.

"How can I miss my sister's book launch meet and greet", he said. Both of them exchanged smiles with a conviction.

"Rupa, you are allowed to join us on stage in a minute, be ready with your position", a girl with a microphone ordered.

She simply nodded with a yes. The fear in her eyes has turned into determination and hope, which she believed will give faith to all other readers.

The interviewer introduced the book with a great impact as the crowd cheered their heart out. Then she introduced Rupa with a well-rehearsed line of introduction.

"Would you like to begin this panel with the inspiration behind your work?" the interviewer imposed while lending the mic to her.

She was taking deep breaths, her forehead started to sweat again, her eyes were searching for her brother as she tightly held the mic between her chest, her hands started to sweat and the grip even became tighter than usual.

"H-Hi, H-i, Hi, I'm Rupa Kashyap and to me "making a big change" is accepting all the hardships we have gone through and overcoming it with a smile. Today on this occasion of my book release I would like to share a story that is close to my heart and also happens in many of the households from where I belong to.

So, it all happened during that starry night, all the siblings decided to play hide and seek. The older one asked the youngest to pair with him and she politely replied, "okay."

She was six years at that time, not familiar with the real world. Everything was fine until the older brother asked the younger sister to come and hide with him in that dark ventilated room. She agreed, knowing it's alright to trust the brother who was about to change into something hideous in no time. He approached that little girl, and to her surprise, he asked her to undress. The little girl got all shocked and tried to shout but, that monstrous brother "shushed" her by placing his finger on her tiny mouth. He pushed that little soul onto that thick loaf of a dusty mattress, she was unable to move as the hideous monster held her tiny hands.

She was breathless, she was tired of pleading and screaming. She was losing all her hopes, she closed her eyes remembering her parents and her sister and all their good moments together. The time happened to stop for her.

With the "B-A-M" on the door came her other sibling to her rescue. He was just two years older than her. He was playing the seeker. At first, he got all puzzled up, he was unable to understand what was going on. The little girl had tears of joy on her eyes that rolled down from her cheeks after seeing her brother, she felt as if there still was hope for her. The younger brother got some hint from the perspective of that scenario, he than immediately grabbed the little girl's hand with all the force he had. And both of them ran outside the room. The monstrous brother tried to follow them but, they ran away. The little girl was in a shock and out of blue she hugged him tight and he also hugged her tightly and patted her on the head.

She has changed now. She has raised her voice against these kinds of stuff. She will always remain thankful to her rescuer and she promised to herself that she won't be silenced anymore.

There are plenty of stories that are untold and pseudo-coated while, the truths are always coated black and kept void from the real world. We all need to raise our voices so, that we will never get silenced anymore, she quoted."


Tears rolled down her cheeks while telling the story, it felt as if a big dilemma was taken down her shoulder. Amish looked at her through awe and clapped his heart out. She stood there for a moment and politely said a "thank you" to the audience and sat down.

The audience cheered and clapped for her. A little girl of around 14 years from the back of the crowd with a copy of the book in her hand from the audience shouted: "WE WON'T BE SILENCED ANYMORE." A fire lit in her eyes as if she promised to herself that she will never back-down. It felt like a relief to Rupa as it was her only purpose to write and to inspire little girls with sheer determination and to face the problems rather than quarantining from it.

After the panel discussion, the room got filled around those bookshelves where Rupa was signing the books for her fans.

A boy from the crowd came for the book signing and thanked Rupa for her courage and inspiring story. He shook her hand and said, "You have inspired many of us and we look up to you."

Rupa smiled as a ray of hope glowed through the crowd.

March 19, 2020 08:51

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Ay Jay
20:23 Mar 25, 2020

Your story hooks the audience in from the very first sentence! Nice work, Ragini!

Reply

Ragini Das
15:52 Mar 27, 2020

Thank you Amiah! 💕

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.