I Am Going To Win

Submitted into Contest #94 in response to: Start your story with someone accepting a dare.... view prompt

3 comments

Drama High School Inspirational

"I dare you to tell James you like him." Mia grinned.

The girls around Isla giggled.

Isla felt panic as she stood there in the middle of a circle of girls. Every girl there was staring at her with cold eyes daring her to stand down, daring her to say she wouldn't tell James she liked him.

Isla felt her cheeks turn bright red as she pushed through the circle of girls and walked across the field to a large willow tree where Isla's best friend Nora was sitting peacefully reading a book with a bright orange cover.

Nora looked up from her book as Isla approached.

"What happened?" Nora asked looking into her best friend's eyes.

Nora always could sense when something was wrong.

"Mia dared me to tell James I like him." Isla sighed and looked down at the green grass in embarrassment.

When Isla said nothing Mia said "You're in tenth grade now. You can do it."

Isla then stood up and walked back to the group of girls, “I accept your dare.” she said.

All the girls went quiet, shocked that Isla had accepted the dare.

“That’s funny! You could never tell James you like him! You're just too scared.” Mia laughed, but Isla looked into her face and smiled.

Isla walked away from the group and straight towards James who was sitting with his friends talking about a hike he had gone on. They stopped talking when they noticed Isla.

“Hey, Isla.” James greeted.

“Hey, James. I just wanted to tell you something.” Isla said nervously.

James and his friends exchanged glances, then James spoke again “What do you want to tell me?”

Isla looked James right in his beautiful brown eyes and said “I like you.”

Isla felt a weight get lifted off her chest and closed her eyes. When she opened her eyes James was staring at her, but he was not making fun of her he was just simply staring at her, shocked at the piece of information he had just received.

Then he finally spoke, “Isla, I have been waiting so long for this day!” He exclaimed.

Isla smiled and bent over to kiss James on the cheek. 

His skin was soft as Isla’s lips brushed against his cheek she noticed how good he smelled. 

“I have to go,” Isla said suddenly in a rush to tell all the girls the good news.

Isla ran up to Mia, “Ha! I did it!” She boasted. 

“Well, does he like you back?” Mia asked consciously.

“Yes. Yes, he does.” Isla said proudly.

Isla then went and told Nora, who was glad.

The next morning Isla woke up to her phone ringing, she picked up her phone and looked at the number. It was an unknown number. Isla tried to click hang up so it would stop ringing but accidentally accepted the call. As soon as she accepted the call she heard a familiar voice, James.

“Isla, is that you?” James asked

“Yes.” Isla groaned and put the phone on her nightstand so she did not have to hold it.

“Are you still in bed?” James asked.

“Yes,” Isla said again.

“Do you want to hang out today?” 

“Yes,” Isla smiled at the thought.

Isla told James her address and told her he could be at her house in 30 minutes then said goodbye and hung up.

Isla ran out of bed and got clothes on. 

She decided to wear a blue t-shirt that had a picture of a whale on it. She also wore black ripped jeans.

James knocked on the door, Isla quickly ran to open the door.

“Hi, Isla!” James said grinning at her as though she was a prize that he had won.

Isla greeted James, invited him then led him to her room.

The two of them talked and laughed together.

“Isla?” James said as Isla had just slipped into a thought.

Isla jumped, “Sorry, what did you say?”

“I asked you if you wanted to walk to the park.”

“I would love to!” Isla sounded as though this was the best thing that ever happened to her.

Isla and James got their shoes on and got ready. Before they left Isla ran to her room to get a basketball.

As soon as James saw the basketball he said “Why do you have a basketball?” He sounded like Isla holding a basketball was illegal.

 “Because I like to play basketball at the park. There is a basketball court there.” Isla said clearly, a little insulted at the way James had asked why she had a basketball.

“Ok, so do you want to play when we get to the park?” James asked as they walked to the park.

“Sure.” Isla agreed.

When they got to the basketball court James said “Let’s play 1 on 1. But don't be offended when you lose.”

“Why would I be offended if I lose?” Isla asked.

“Well because girls are not very good at basketball,” James said matter of factly. 

This made Isla angry, she felt so stupid for loving a boy who thought this way. It was terrible.

“Wanna bet?” Isla said glaring at James.

“On what?” James said confused.

“On who wins,” Isla paused as James nodded and grinned, “If I win you have to go to school wearing a dress.”

“Okay. Then if I win you have to kiss me. Deal?” James grinned.

“Deal. We play till someone gets ten points.”  They shook hands and the game began. 

"I am going to win," Isla shouted as she got her first basket.

Isla got four points before James got one. Isla was surprised at how terrible James was at basketball. 

In about five minutes the game ended. Isla had 10 points and James had 3 points.

Isla beamed proudly, “Take that!” she shouted.

James didn't say anything.

Isla looked at him as he sat on a bench beside the court, bend down, pushed his chin up, and kissed him. 

“What was that for?” James asked, smiling.

“You still have to go to school wearing a dress, and whatever we are now is over.”

Isla walked home alone and decided that she was better off without James anyway.

The next day James walked into school wearing a bright pink dress.

May 20, 2021 00:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Alina T
00:22 May 21, 2021

Please let me know what you think! I am a new author and am still figuring it out! lol

Reply

Pippin Took
17:32 Jun 01, 2021

Hi! I like this story a lot! Good for Isla, dumping James like that! Don't fret, you're doing good. Glad I could comment and (hopefully) make your day! Feel free to check out my profile, read around a little. (by that I mean read my stories or my follower/following's stories, because those are probably better.) Have a good day!! 😃

Reply

Alina T
23:50 Jun 20, 2021

Thank you so much! This is definitely not my best story, but I'm glad you liked it. I have checked out your story and really love them. Have a wonderful day. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.