Photo worth a lot

Submitted into Contest #144 in response to: Start your story with somebody taking a photo.... view prompt

0 comments

Happy Inspirational Contemporary

Just one more picture DJ thought as she snapped the picture with the camera and it made a clicking sound. Some sessions were easy and fun but others were rough and made her doubt herself. This client was a tough one. They didn’t want to listen and wanted certain pictures. DJ was all for letting them pose whichever way they wanted however the lighting had to be right. She tried to explain that to the client but the client insisted it would be fine to just snap the picture. Oh well, they get what they asked for.

“Ok great! All done! Thank you so much for coming out. I will edit the pictures and get them back to you within a week.” DJ said with a forced smile.

She watched as the client drove away. She let out a breath she didn’t realize she was holding in. DJ looked across the wildflower field and grabbed her camera. The sun was setting against the yellow and purple flowers and the sight was beautiful. This is what DJ really wanted to do; this was her passion taking nature photos. However she had bills to pay and children to feed so she took what she got. DJ took a few more shots and headed home.

“Mom! You home!” DJ’s youngest, Jane said running to her mom.

“Mom! Mom! Mom! Guess what Aunt BB did!” DJ’s oldest, Marie said.

“Oh what did she do?” DJ asked smiling and hugging her children.

“She gave us tattoos!” Both girls squealed with laughter.

“She did! Wow what a cool auntie!” DJ laughed and looked at the flowers painted on her daughters arms.

“Don’t worry it’s washable.” DJ’s sister BB said walking from the kitchen.

“I wasn’t worried. Just wondering where mine is.”

“You gotta come to my shop for yours,” BB laughed.

DJ and BB were both artists in their own way. DJ loved photography and making things with resin while BB was a tattoo artist and made paintings.

“Where is my niece?” DJ asked.

“Right here. I was helping mom clean the paint brushes.” Rene said.

“Dinner’s ready. Let’s eat then you can tell me about your session.”

After eating spaghetti for dinner DJ and BB got the girls showered and ready for bed, then when the girls where asleep they sat down with a glass of wine to discuss their day. A nightly routine they started when they moved in together.

“So was the session that bad?” BB asked.

“How can you tell?”

“Usually when it’s a good one you come home beaming and can’t wait to talk about it. Today you seemed kind of down and just wanted to hear about Jane, Marie and Rene.”

“Yeah it was tough one. All the client wanted was specific pictures but the lighting was all wrong. I mean its natural light, not in a studio.”

“Can I see?”

DJ got her memory card from her camera, put it in her laptop and brought up the pictures. They didn’t look too bad, she would have to edit some shadows and bright spots but she was happy with them.

“Oh wait, go back.” BB said noticing the sunset picture. “Oh wow! That is so pretty!”

“Thanks. Session ran a little long so the sun was setting and I snapped a few pictures of it with the flower field.”

“Dee, those are beautiful! You should seriously enter that contest I was telling you about.”

“I don’t know Bee, all those photos are great.”

“Yours is too you know.”

The next day BB went into her tattoo shop to start the day. She had her sister’s sunset flower picture saved on her phone and decided to print it out and hang it on the wall in the shop. Her sister might not believe she was talented but BB knew her sister was. BB just got done hanging up the picture when her next client walked in.

“Hello! Steve right? Do you know what you want or do you want to look in my tattoo book?”

“I know what I want. And yes my name is Steve. Hey that’s a pretty picture. Where did you get it?” The customer asked.

“My sister took it yesterday at a wildflower field. Awesome isn’t it!”

“Is that what she does? Nature photography?”

“She does photography yes but she doesn’t think her nature photos are good enough to publish.”

“She should. It is really good. I would love to see more of her work. Does she have a website or anything?”

“She sure does!” BB said handing him her DJ’s card. BB took it as a sign and decided to enter DJ’s picture into the nature contest. Wouldn’t hurt to try.

Later that evening BB told DJ about the man and how he liked DJ’s picture.

“Nah, he was trying to flirt with you.”

“Maybe but he did ask for your card. So.. I mean.” Haha BB laughed.

“Listen I appreciate you hyping me up but I’m not getting my hopes up.”

“Why not? Hope is what helps us through the tough times and gives us the strength and courage to move on and try new things.” BB said hugging her sister.

“Maybe. If he contacts me then great if not then I’m not going to worry about it. I have enough to worry about as it is.”

“I hear that!” BB said clinking her glass with DJ’s glass. BB didn’t mention entering the contest. She figured it would be a great surprise if DJ got accepted. Plus if DJ didn’t get accepted she wouldn’t have to know and be upset.

About two days later BB was checking her email when she received the congratulations from the contest people. She was so excited and couldn’t wait to tell DJ later that night.

Around lunch time Steve came back with a huge smile on his face.

“Hey there. Like your ink so much you came back for seconds?” BB chuckled.

“No I’m here for a different reason.” Steve said turning serious.

“Oh okay. No problems right?”

“What? Oh no! No problems. I just wanted to deliver this in person.” He said handing BB an envelope.

“What’s this?” BB asked.

“It’s for your sister. The one who took the photo that we were discussing. I don’t know her or where she lives so I thought I would bring it to you.”

“Oh okay. Its not bad is it? You aren’t some lawyer or she isn’t being served right?” BB asked suspiciously.

“Oh no, no nothing like that. Its good news. I promise.” Steve smiled and walked out the door.

BB looked at the envelope wondering if she should open it or not. Steve said it was good news but BB wasn’t too sure. The envelope wasn’t sealed or anything but it was for DJ. BB decided to wait and give it to her sister. Good news or bad she would be there for her sister.

That night after the girls went to bed BB handed her sister the envelope. She figured if it was bad news she could soften the blow with the contest news.

“What’s this?” DJ asked.

“Steve brought it by today. He assured me it was good news.”

“Why didn’t you open it?”

“Cuz its yours and I wanted to respect your privacy.”

“Oh yeah since when?” DJ laughed and tore it open. She read silently for a moment then started crying.

“Oh no is it bad? I’m sorry Dee. I don’t have good news though.” BB said hugging her sister.

“No, Bee its good news. Steve owns his own photography business that does nothing but nature photos. He wants to hire me full time as his photographer. This letter has his started offer and it’s double what I make now.” DJ said smiling.

“Oh hun that is fantastic!!!” BB almost shouted then remembered the kids were asleep.

“Yes it is. Wait what news did you have for me?”

“Oh umm. I entered your wildflower sunset photo into the nature contest and you won. They sent me the email today. You just have to go to the office to get the reward and your picture taken.” BB smiled.

“What! That’s… That’s… Oh my… This is wonderful! I can’t believe it!”

“See Dee. Told you to have hope.” 

May 07, 2022 02:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.