0 comments

Adventure Contemporary Creative Nonfiction

Tabulate the time, by gathering or collecting, by recollecting the morning few minutes that we spend before the arrival of our daily transport. Confabulate the feeling you got from your sense organs namely, the eyes, the ears, the nose, the mouth, and the tongue. Assimilate the gaze, sound, smell, and taste you experienced. Since I felt and therefore am quite sure most of us are bound to find it very enriching and refreshing. It is best to differentiate our experience of such moments during the school days, thereafter our college days, followed by office days and not to forget the vacation and holidays. Of course mornings were there even though schools were not in their usual atmosphere, colleges not in the usual hue, offices not in its usual strength.


Very early days or School days and its mornings


Well school days were school days, school bag stuffed with books and note books as per the time table.


The few minutes time before the school bus arrives, the moments after you wake up in the morning, in the next few minutes well dressed and ready after breakfast to catch the school bus to school. The sight of your school mates as well as class mates also waiting to catch the same bus at various stops and street corners.


The look of the different buses, picking your friends, studying in different schools, at different locations, and wearing different colored school uniforms is a visual delight. The crow on the lamp post, the pigeons on the roof tops, the sparrows in the garden and a songbird on the guava tree sooth the senses in their own ways.


Early days or College days and its dawns


Mornings of college days with bicycles for short distances and motorbikes or College buses for long distances carrying as less books and notebooks as possible compared to schooldays.


Discussing the lecturers and their lectures at college canteens and roadside shops and planning to bunk or continue attending. Peering at girls and boys flaunting their trendy dresses, sunglasses, shoes, hats, caps, tattoos and so on inspired by film heroes and heroines. As students of botany getting involve in activities for cleaning the campuses and the neighbourhood, planting of saplings and studying the plants and trees and labeling the bark of the trees with its botanical names, looking out for nests with eggs laid on it and honeycombs perched on tree tops and old monuments. Time spent in searching for puppies and kittens and admiring them being fed by the parent dogs and cats, also appreciating the pet dogs of different breeds both, large and small, taken for walk by their owners.


After college days and during days of employment and daybreaks


The week days are spent in taking a few rounds of the garden and doing mild exercises, yoga and resting on benches and looking up at the sky and savouring the blue sky laden with airplanes and eagles, clouds and migrating birds, cool breeze and cuckoos, supersonic jets and sparrows, constellation of stars, rising sun and fading moon.



The moments you wait at the bus stand and the sights you see. The partial half an hour span that is endured at the suburban stations, at daybreak can be memorable.


This is what I used to do almost every working day until the arrival of staff vehicle during this golden hour or precious minutes and seconds of this holy hour. Watch the songbird land on a tiny tree and make a sound as sweet as a song. Squirrel scamper from the base of the tree to top of the branch along-with other squirrels on a coconut tree. The crows dive down and swallow the cooked rice placed on the kerbstone around the basil tree plant at the front yard of different houses and sparrows following suit after the crows have had their share. Pigeons are also found gathered too in the garden to grab the grains and fill their stomach.


Are such moments now missed out with the incursion of the mobile telephone? Mobile telephones now occupy your space by diverting your attention from the real world to a virtual universe.


The radiation on account of the telephone towers in close vicinity scares away the birds to safer haven, as does winter season, to many birds, that are forced to migrate to warmer pastures.


But we humans are now gravitating to the machines and getting accustomed to the gadgets and remaining content with others to do the exercise of ornithology, and observing the changing nature of creatures and upload on Youtube and other social media platforms for us to view and like or appreciate in the real world through the virtual world.


Time is not far when glued to the mobile, television, ipods, laptops, palmtops with earphones on most of the time is going to show its ill effects and all kinds of diseases get propped up and affect the sensory organs.


The changed behaviour of human beings have increased the pollution of all kinds may that be sound, air, water and most of all the radiation that is emitted for the functioning of the uncountable number of gadgets.


The launch of satellites have no doubt made life fast and in turn made life short may not be in terms of the length but for sure in terms of the quality of life that is lived.


In the quest of dominating the nature human beings have forgotten that history bears testimony to the fact that nature can never be overpowered and all those who have tried to do have perished whether they are humans, animals or any other species of the world like Dinosaurs.


Who knows, the condition in which planets like Mars, Moon, Venus, Neptune and others are presently uninhabited by human beings, plants and animals because of their indulgence in activities that were detrimental to their survival in peace with nature.


If we continue with the present trend we are bound to be oblivious of the many interesting experiences of nature and develop diseases like migraine and suffer and repent in leisure.


October 16, 2020 19:20

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.