0 comments

Inspirational Speculative Mystery

This story contains themes or mentions of mental health issues.

I wanted something different; but this, this is an opportunity that is equal to a coin flip. It’s hard to make out anything clearly here. I couldn't tell you the color of a single particle here. Light gray and darker grays, that’s it. I wouldn't touch anything closest to black, that I've learned from a quite difficult situation. So to not be interacted with, is to not interact. An introvert’s wonderland, that would be the easiest way to describe this atmosphere. I've seen dark oceans reflecting an iron sky. Trees wickedly branched out, like roots underground. Almost as if they were planted upside down. Rodents, if you want to put a name on these shadowy figures, are all shapes and sizes. But, the hostility here is a different aspect. It's almost as if everything is blinded by the darker shades. Almost if the lighter figures purposely avoid the darker ones. Like pricks with their nose in the air. It’s a world with suppressed sounds. Meaning that not a single thing can hear you, nor you them. Scream as a shadowed figure passes inches in front of you. It’ll stroll on by like it was never bothered. Now if you cross a brighter lightened figure's path or if it connects with another, it's like watching a dog fight in the first person, but on mute. And from what I've seen the darker figures win these battles.

No one can survive here. Not forever anyways. This place I gotta leave, but I'm stuck because of my curiosity. Watching and observing I'm stunned and intrigued by what is to come. What would interact with me? What could possibly see me in this dark world? Have I chosen to stay for a bit too long? How would I even leave? Am I completely alone here? What shade am I to the others? As I remain still I can watch the world around me crumble but advance at the same time. When I build the courage to go forward, I try to take leaps into this unknown world. Only to realize it's a small step after all my effort to advance. Being and staying aware, I've noticed I've been in the crossfire of somethings heading straight at me. As the blackness comes I calmly imagine myself erasing. So I clench my fists and start bracing myself for a fight. Like ive seen happen between everything else before me, I stood my ground. Battled for my position to remain here. Destroyed what I thought was going to change me and for what? To own a world of a pencil drawing? Or is it my curiosity letting me remain awake? All to witness a rebirth. Waiting for this sketch to become a great high definition movie.

Darkness comes and swears it’ll comfort us. Holding us close with strong protective arms. So within it, we can only look up to the open skies or be deeply suffocated. What if the secret to surviving this cricket’s lullaby is to be willing to shine a light within my own darkness, make it submit to my inner light. Will I then be reborn as a hero? Or will my created darkness become a protective layer that I've fallen in love with? Bound so close to fight the light that this darkness becomes the softest velvet illumination. An imitation of what I thought would be a heavenly door to my own light. Only to fall deeper into a realm of darker shades consuming all that brilliantly illustrates a means to escape.

Staying here for the time i have, the idea of time becomes a thing that is malleable. So over the process, distance and speed become immaterial as well. As I move forward or sit still, I watch as others meddle and amuse themselves in callous ways. I watch as the darkness is put down, even from myself. Yet when one is fully in the creative force, they learn. They learn from all energies to become one team instead of one being. I get it now, years in the darkness and I just now get it. I am here to help. I always was. I’m part of an interface. An interface of reality, a bridge of sorts, if you will. A messenger. It is because of the black space, that these lights it carries, allow us to see the guiding stars. So as certain lights remain static and stable, look at those lights as broken and warped fantasies of folks who’ve never been asked to lead something so complex. The darkness isn't emptiness as space, it's a quarantine, a “lockdown”. Until you learn how to have basic self and planetary care, you can't move forward. We’re taught our “fears” were a mere needed principle. With desire to take the power and to invade others, imprinted on us to act out as a barbarian. Those folks seeking power and fear alone are fortunate the awakened ones take an interest in providing assistance from afar.

Instead of handpicking each and every light that is dim and dull, step away. Far, far, far away. See that darkness isn't as random as it seems. If you take every perspective and back all the way up. You’ll see it's linear. A simple goal we all have in common. To become a light we recognize for ourselves. The darkest of lights may think we’re contained, but the secret of the infinite is that it is an ever expanding series of the finite. We will cross each other only to retain power of freedom, or limitation, as a guideline until someone has constructed a new and fabricated idea for change. Someone to lead the pack. Everything has an offspring that will always seek opposition. So in the end, standing here at the edge of my darkness, I watch as lights blur out and others take over. An endless vessel of nonaligned and yet translucent shades of gray all on the same plane of existence. This is seeing it from my brightest, yet darkest, horizon.

February 20, 2022 15:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.