0 comments

Adventure Crime Horror

The radio in my car shouted out that the Buckshire Killer was still out there. It was past the evening curfew, and yet James begged me to come out. The air felt wrong and not safe, yet here I was waiting for him at the edge of the Buckshire Forest. Sighing, I got out of my car, and looked around with flickering copper eyes.

The stars twinkled above me, in between gray clouds. My heart pounded in my chest as an odd man with shaggy blond hair approached me with confused green eyes. Blood soaked his white shirt and mud crusted his ratty jeans. Alarm bells rang in my head, causing a small migraine.

"Can you help me?" He asked meagerly. "I am being chased by a killer!" Doubt ran through my mind, making my eyebrows furrow. His green eyes anxiously looked behind him as I smoothed my red plaid dress that hugged my hourglass figure. My black sweater felt soft against my pale skin. Realization dawned on me as my arms folded.

"No offense that is something a serial killer would say." I retorted coolly. "Nice try, James!" He straightened up and shot me a goofy smile. My finger twisted my long brown wavy hair playfully.

"Okay, Luna." He admitted in defeat. "I was just playing with you." His arms wrapped around my small waist and kissed my neck. The trees rustled behind us. My muscles froze when a tall man lumbered out of the woods. A filthy leather mask covered his face, a bloody white apron covered his black dress shirt and black jeans. The dirt crunched beneath his feet as his leather gloves creaked, holding a barbed wire wrapped bat. White hair flew wildly around his head.

"Is this still part of your prank?" I inquired shakily. "Please tell me it is." Horror filled his eyes while shaking his head. The dirt crunched beneath my feet as we turned to run down the street. Slow steady thumps echoed behind us as the lone streetlight flickered off, bathing us in total darkness. James fumbled with his phone until he illuminated a small path. My heart pounded as he slowly raised his phone up to a dirty leather mask. His hand gripped my arm, pulling me in the opposite direction into the woods. Branches scratched my face, drawing small lines of blood on my cheeks. Knotty roots covered the cold hard ground. My lungs burned when a shabby cabin appeared in front of us. Two small lamps dimly lit up a one room cabin. Twigs snapped behind us, causing us to bolt up the creaky stairs through the rotting door. Rusty sharp tools speckled the walls. Silver hunting knives covered a white bloody dining table.

"Hide." James whispered, tossing me a hunting knife. Anxiously, he hid behind the sofa while I hid in an empty closet. My heart stopped beating while the door crashed open. Waiting with baited breath, my legs protested as I leapt out of the closet. The killer stepped back, swinging his bat. Pain shot through my leg, as barbs embedded themselves into my thigh. My right hand shakily sunk the blade into his stomach. He shrugged and swung again. The barbs tore at my shoulder, spraying drops of blood in his white hair. James shot up behind him, slicing his throat. Warm red blood dripped down onto my face, painting my face red. With a loud thud, his body collapsed to my feet. His white hair matted scarlet. Blood pooled around my black boots as James shakily called 911. My breath increased rapidly as the wooden walls spun all around me. Hot vomit flew up out of my mouth and spilled onto the floor. Blue flashing lights lit up the cabin, filling me up with warm relief. Arms wrapped around me, pulling me closer to James. His body shook violently with shock and fear. His fingers still gripped the black handle of the hunting knife. Gingerly, I peeled it from his hands. With a clang, the knife clattered to the floor. My hands graced his cheek. A big hand grabbed my ankle, attempting to pull me back. The killer gurgled as I fell to the ground. A knife glinted in his left hand. A rush of stale air whizzed by my face, as I rolled over. The floorboards creaked as James slammed to the ground. The sound of a sand bag being stabbed rang through my ears watching his knife go up and down. Red drops splattered onto his face until one final shudder signaled that the killer was dead. Numbly, he stood up on quaking legs. His energy was off, and I could understand why. Killing someone is a brutal jolt to the system. My arms wrapped around him, only for him to pull me closer. His woodsy smell wafted up my nose relieving me.

"I love you so much. Thank you for saving me." I uttered softly. Police crashed in, and pulled us out of the cabin. Ambulances sat outside with red flashing lights. They wrapped grey itchy blankets around our shoulders.

"You are still lucky you are alive." An older officer in a blue uniform commented as he approached us. "You just killed the Buckshire Killer. He has killed ten couples already. We thank you for your service. Can you come into the station in the morning?" We nodded and he left us alone. Frogs croaked around us, as a crow flew down next to us. It flew away in a skittish act, causing me to jump nearly out of my skin. A short blond hair woman ran towards us. My mind spaced, only answering yes, or no as she asked questions.

"You want to blow this place, and get out of here." He offered with an outstretched hand. Smiling, my head shook. Chuckling to myself, a paramedic stitched up my shoulder. A thumbs up stated we could go. At this point the sky was orange with the rising sun. The bright sun rose up high in the sky, beginning a new day.

August 20, 2021 19:46

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.