Hallucination prt 1.

Submitted into Contest #44 in response to: Write a story that starts with a life-changing event.... view prompt

1 comment

General

There was a tree, the branches curved over my head letting the shadows fall on my face. I could see the sunlight peeking out from in-between the leaves. This was where he died. Or so I believe he did, for after this moment I have no memory of ever being with him again. It’s almost like he died in my heart, he must’ve been lonely to reside in such a cold, dark heart such as mine. A place where no one else was ever in, yet a place that was made warm by his touch. I don’t know where he is, I can never see his green eyes giving me comfort once again, I want him to be real, I need him to be real. It hurts, so badly that I can’t express it. I remember how his lips felt against mine. Soft like velvet, warm like how I used to feel inside. Not anymore though, all I feel is resent. Resent against the person who stole him from me. I don’t know who they are, or where they might be, all I know is that they took him from me. 

At first, they wore blue scrubs and seemed friendly, watching from a distance they would come and observe. I was fine with that, they seemed like they wanted to be my friends. They only wanted to talk. Their words made no sense, rattling round and around in my brain until his green eyes comforted me. They would look at me dumbfounded whenever I spoke to him, as if he wasn’t there or that he never existed. Yet he continued to rub circles on my back and assure me everything was ok. 

It's weird, a month flew by. All they did was talk and talk and talk asking me how my day was again and again and again. I grew bored of it, as did he. So, we decided to stop talking to them. Happily, we lived together. Free from harm and filled with love for one another. Every morning I would wake up to the sound of birds chirping and the sight of his green eyes staring deep into mine. His warm body lying next to mine, every day he would say that I looked more beautiful and every day his eyes would seem to glisten with excitement more. 

I was happy, and was that enough? Was being happy enough to make me want to live life like this forever? For me the answer is simple, yes. I only lived life to be happy with the person I valued most in the world, to love and be loved. To smile because of his smile. I don’t question myself, because I already fully well know the answer.  

They left us in peace for some time, we no longer went to that beige coloured room which seemed sealed off from the outside world. We no longer had to look at those baby blue scrubs that filled our lungs with the smell on antiseptic. It felt good to be free, the kind of feeling you get when you eat a tub of ice cream. At first you contradict yourself, questioning whether you should eat it, but when you take a bite, it tastes so good that you forget all about your worried. That is until you end up puking it up the next day. 

In our case, that’s exactly what happened, they came to our house like regurgitated food, with no warning and no reason.  

“why are you here?” I asked cautiously, as they stared deep into my eyes like knives. Their eyes were a cold colour of metal and sent shivers through my spine. There were three of them, two men and a woman, all dressed in blue and smelling of antiseptic. There was an eerie silence after I spoke, until finally the lady responded, she had a short blonde bob of hair and tight red lips. “we came here to talk” she said with her thin lips pressed into a smile, although the edge to her voice when she spoke made me suspicious of her.  

I could not escape their glare, I wanted to run away. However, when he held my hand and looked at me with his endearing green eyes, I felt reassured. He wore a white shirt that outlined his well-toned upper body. His light brown hair was messily styled as he ruffled his right hand through it. I was so mesmerised by his appearance that I didn’t realise the blonde lady say my name. 

“hello?” she questioned, as I came back to reality “I was asking you if it’s ok.” 

“I mean, sure” I answered not thinking and still somewhat bedazzled that I almost didn’t realise her two accomplices grabbing my arms. “W-WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!?” I yelled trying to escape.  

“Don’t worry.” she said with a smirk, "I promise that it’ll hurt.” she answered as she pulled a sharp pointy needle from her bag. It contained a clear fluid and as the needle came closer and closer to my skin his had release itself from mine and he placed it on my arm in attempt to stop the needles path. However, as I stood their horrified and bewildered the needle along with the blonde woman’s hand went right through his as if it wasn’t even there. 

That was the last thing I remember before passing out. 

I think I woke about an hour later; he was nowhere in sight. I tried to pretend it was a dream and continued about my day. But that night, as I went to sleep, he was nowhere to be seen. Mornings rose just as soon as night fell, days, weeks and months pass but he never returned.  

Until the 4th month till he had disappeared. When I saw them. The blonde haired, red lipped lady along with her two accomplices. I followed them, as they headed to the beige room I resented so very much. I carried with me a pocketknife and watched as all three of them went into the room. I didn’t wait for an invitation but instead barged through the door knife in hand. 

My fingers trembled as I clutched onto the knife for dear life. My body acted on its own, turning all my surroundings into a blood bath. “WHERE IS HE?” I yelled at my highest and loudest pitch possible “WHAT DID YOU DO TO HIM” I waited for an answer, not realising the three where half-dead, fallen on the floor. One of the men replied “I-I don’t k-know what you're talking about,” he stuttered presumably from pain or fear “you have been hallucinated” the other man replied, “that’s why we injected you” he finished explaining. 

I stood there, shaking. I looked to the ground noticing all the blood, is it true? I though, questioning myself. It's not, I know that, or at least I want to believe that it's not. 

 “I DON’T BELIEVE IT” I screamed dropping the knife on the floor and running from the crime scene. I cried bitterly, tripping and stumbling as I ran. Until finally I reached there. A tree, where the branches curved over my head letting the shadows fall onto my face. I could see the sunlight peeking out from in-between the leaves. I saw a pair of green eyes look at me in the sunlight. Only they came and then they were gone. “DON’T LEAVE ME!” I yelled, my voice breaking. “I DON’T WANT TO BE LONELY” 

I cried and cried, lonely. I was lonely. I heard sirens, but I didn’t bother to try and run. The red and blue lights flashed again and again as my hands where cuffed behind my back. “you are under arrest for attempted murder,” I heard a deep masculine voice say. It sounded identical to his and as I turned my neck to the man behind me, I saw a pair of deep green eyes stare deep into mine, his hair was light brown.  

When I blinked, however, it was almost all ‘washed away’ as I saw a dullened pair of brown eyes and ashy blonde hair stare into my eyes with utter disgust. He spoke again but this time his voice seemed loud and raspy. “You do not have to say anything, but it may harm your defence if you do not mention, when questioned, something which you later rely on in court.” 

TO BE CONTINUED........probably 

June 01, 2020 15:24

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Daryl Gravesande
13:22 Jun 02, 2020

This 2 part series is really intriguing! On to part 2! VERY good so far!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.