It Takes a Village

Submitted into Contest #181 in response to: Write about someone who realizes they're on the wrong path. ... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction Funny

Diana surveyed the scene with a critical eye, enjoying the lull before the evening rush started. After two years of blood, sweat and toil, Java Music Cafe was finally making a profit and had a steady group of patrons. She allowed herself a moment of satisfaction. The walls were decorated with paintings by local artists and colorful posters, illuminated by strings of soft lights. Melodious music played in the background. A few customers were working on their laptops or chatting over coffee, ensconced in the comfortable armchairs and couches. The small stage at the back was ready for tonight’s performance by Fiona, a local singer and songwriter. Her reverie was suddenly interrupted by a crash in the background which caused heads to turn in alarm.

“No problems, guys,” Diana said, fixing a smile on her face as she hurried towards the kitchen. She found her most experienced staff member, Mrs. Brinkley, sobbing into her apron, surrounded by the wreckage of a trayful of desserts. Pablo and Alfonso were trying to sooth her in a mixture of Spanish and English. Pablo looked up in relief when he saw Diana.

“Señora, I do not know what is wrong. Mrs. B. muy triste all day, but she not say why.”

“Triste? Sad?” said Diana, frantically scouring her brain for the correct word.

“Yes, yes,” said Alfonso.

“Can you guys please clean this up?” said Diana, carefully stepping over shards of broken plates. “Come on, Mrs. B. Let’s have a seat in my office. Pablo, a glass of water, please, quick.”

Pablo returned within moments, thrusting a glass into Mrs. B’s hand.

Mrs. B. sipped and shuddered.

“I’m so sorry,” she said. “I’ll pay for the damage. Please don't fire me.”

Diana looked at her with concern.

“I’m not going to fire you. You’re my right-hand person. This is not like you at all. What’s going on?”

Mrs. B. wiped her eyes.

“It’s my granddaughter, Chloe. My daughter's girl. I’m raising her. We lost her mom to an overdose. She’s always been such a good girl, and smart, but the principal called this morning saying that she’s been skipping school and hanging out with the wrong crowd. I’m so worried that she'll do like her mother, have a baby and get into drugs. I do the best I can, but I’m no spring chicken and I don’t understand all the things the young people are into nowadays, piercings and the internet and the tattoos and the music and all that. She doesn’t listen to me, and I can’t afford to give her the clothes and things that her friends have.”

Diana winced as memories of her own teenage years flashed across her mind. It was by luck, not judgement, that she hadn’t come to any harm herself. No need to worry Mrs. B. with those recollections. She paced the office, thinking hard. Who would she have listened to at that age? No one her parents or teachers recommended. Suddenly she had a flash of inspiration.

“Mrs. B, I think we need to enroll the girls for help.”

Mrs. B. looked at her incredulously.

“The girls? They’re older than I am.”

Diana smiled mischievously.

“Yes, but they are way cooler than you or me. They are original rebels, and they love a challenge.”

“Geriatric hippies if you ask me,” said Mrs. B. with a disdainful sniff. “Calling themselves girls at their age.”

“It’s tongue in cheek,” said Diana. Mrs. B. tended to be very literal. “Think about it. Verity sang back up for the Rolling Stones at one point, or so she says. Susanna rode a motorbike across Europe and lived in a commune in India. Geraldine just got arrested on a climate change protest. It was on the news. I think she glued herself to the pavement.”

“I don’t know that I want Chloe getting mixed up in all that,” said Mrs. B. in alarm.

“They’re all upstanding members of the community now despite their wild days,” said Diana. “Verity works at the theater and sings at weddings. Susanna’s published two books and is teaching at the community college. Geraldine’s director of the food bank. They should be here tonight. They’re huge Fiona fans.”

Mrs. B. looked skeptical.

“Even if they want to help, how do we get Chloe to listen to them?’

“Didn’t you just say she needs money? Take the evening off and send her in your place. Tell her you’re not feeling well and that she’d be doing me a huge favor.”

 “I don’t know how you’ll manage without me,” Mrs. B. said, hoisting herself to her feet.

“It won’t be easy, but we’ll try,” said Diana. “Go on now and enjoy some well-earned rest. Tell Chloe to be here by seven and give me your apron.”

She rolled up her sleeves, grinning. She had started at the bottom years ago. Time to see if she recalled her skills.

She was so busy that she didn’t notice the time until she suddenly heard a small voice.

“Ms. Diana? I’m Chloe. My gran sent me.”

Diana turned around. A skinny girl with a smattering of acne across her cheeks and too much eye makeup stood there, a mixture of scorn and nervousness in her expression. She looked closer to fourteen than seventeen. Diana felt for her. She wouldn’t be a teenager again for the world.

“Hi, Chloe, thanks for helping. Come and meet Pablo and Alfonso. They’ll show you round the kitchen.”

 Diana pulled off her apron and peered out into the café. The seats were filling rapidly, and Fiona was on stage, tuning her guitar. Diana scanned the crowd, sighing with relief when she saw the girls. For a moment she’d been afraid they’d skipped their Friday night outing. She hurried over to their table and explained the situation.

“Poor thing,” said Susanna.

“You couldn’t pay me enough to be that age again,” said Verity. “Not that I wouldn’t mind losing the lines and grey hair, of course, but I don’t miss all that angst and drama.”

Geraldine shook her head.

“Amen to all that. It’s so much more intense now with all the online stuff. Thank goodness some of my escapades will never come back to haunt me that way. Make sure she serves us, and we’ll get acquainted.”

Diana took their order and hurried back to the kitchen. Chloe was being amicably bossed around by Pablo and Alfonso who were enchanted when she hesitantly tried out a few Spanish words. She was smiling proudly by the time she had successfully served a couple of tables. Diana made sure that Chloe took care of the girls’ table and was reassured to see her exchanging banter with them. The lights dimmed and Fiona appeared to enthusiastic applause.

“Take a break and enjoy the music. I think there’s a seat at the girls’, I mean, the ladies’ table,” said Diana. Chloe ventured to join them with a shy smile.

Next day Mrs. B. showed up, smiling and back to her usual feisty self. Pablo and Alfonso applauded, and Diana gave her a big hug.

“Enough of that now,” Mrs. B. said, pleased but embarrassed.

“Come to my office for a minute,” said Diana. “How’s Chloe? She did a good job.”

“She’s over the moon about them girls. The one wants her to try out for the next play and the other one’s talked her into volunteering at the food bank.”

She looked at Diana with a twinkle in her eye.

“Of course, I told her I really didn’t like her spending time with ladies what have had all those adventures. No telling what ideas she might get in her head. She flounced off all high and mighty. She's bound and determined to go on with them now.”

Diana laughed.

“Brilliant! Reverse psychology.”

There was a knock on the door and Pablo poked his head in.

“Ms. Diana, you know we could use some help in the kitchen. That young lady, Chloe, she is a good worker.”

Diana looked at Mrs. B.

“Tell her we’d be glad to have her if she wants the work.”

“We help her with her Spanish homework too,” Pablo said. “She already speak a little bit quite good.”

To their consternation, Mrs. B. suddenly began to cry. Diana hastily passed her a tissue.

“I don't mean anything bad,” said Pablo, mortified. “I have a daughter her age.”

Mrs. B. looked up, smiling through her tears.

“I know. It’s just such a weight off my shoulders to have some help with Chloe. I’ve been feeling so alone and worried. Thank you all.”

“It takes a village,” said Diana, giving her a quick hug. “She’s a fine young lady. Now, let’s get to work.”

“Vanaminios,” said Mrs. B. proudly, marching back to the kitchen. Pablo hid a smile, winked at Diana and promptly followed her.

January 20, 2023 20:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.