The Quitter’s Killer Smile

Submitted into Contest #166 in response to: Start your story with someone saying “I quit!” ... view prompt

4 comments

Contemporary American Drama

I quit.” Rico watched Alma from across the table. “Did I say that aloud?”

She swirled her wine glass and sipped with smiling eyes.

“You’re so beautiful…” He let his eyes well up.

She hung on his words. “Thank you, Rico. You’re sweet.”

It’s the same old thing. Nothing wrong with her. Always me…

He leaned in. They touched glasses.

“Happy we could meet tonight. Need to tell you something, though.” She looked concerned. “It’s nothing about you. I need to warn you, I’m damaged goods.”

She scoffed. “You’re joking, right? You’re beautiful.”

Rico pointed at his head. “Up here. I’ve had a terrible life. I don’t want to mislead…”

She touched his hand.

He continued. “It’s true though. Old wounds haunt me. I’m terrified of being alone.”

“I’m here, Rico.”

They nodded at each other as she squeezed his hand.

~

Rico met all his women through ‘Streetcar,’ the premier online dating site.’ It provided a steady supply of women. As many as Rico wanted. They were needy. They paid him.

Counting Alma, he was dating ten.

~

It was his move. He sighed and settled into his standard disclaimer. What he called ‘the old sob story.’ Enrapt, Alma listened as he recounted his childhood, an army brat who moved constantly. He never had friends. Changed schools constantly. Always the new kid, he got beat up. But he never lost his smile.

Rico watched, amazed as his story kindled each date’s latent maternal instincts. Every time. Who expects a man to be both vulnerable and able to stand strong in difficult times?

It always worked… his true story and boyish charm proved to be an unbeatable combination. It was almost too easy.

All because Rico was handsome, charming, virile, and available. Or so they thought. He saw himself a gift to women. Whether God did the shopping, he had no idea.

Through trial and error, he discovered his appeal to a particular type. His women often chose career over family. Or divorced, and with their kids grown, they now faced life alone. Regardless, they wanted a man for company.

Rico watched Alma’s eyes as he spoke. Well-practiced at telling his tale, he’d seen it, many times. She’d fallen in love.

How can I keep doing this?’ he thought. ‘Because it’s easy…? Because I need the distraction. I’ll quit once I feel at home.’

He knew exactly how long to pause before the clincher. Alma’s eyes questioned.

“So… I’m embarrassed to say, I’m broke.”

She didn’t hesitate. “Don’t worry. I’ll get this.”

“I hate to…”

“It’s no trouble at all. Really. We’ve all been there. God knows I have.”

He smiled and the rest fell into place.

“I won’t lie, Alma. I’m seeing other women.”

She made a face. “Well, duh! Your name is Rico Suave. A perfect fit. Unless you’ve been hiding under a rock, how could you avoid seeing other women?”

“I want to be upfront with you.”

“Tell me, Rico, where’s the club?” He looked at her, uncomprehending. “Don’t you get it? The club? That you use to beat off the swarms of women?”

Rico smiled and squirmed.

 “Is that it? You’re not married and you’re not monogamous? That’s shocking. But you’re broke…” She nodded, weighing the implications. “I’m no financial expert, but you might find relief if you…”

Rico laughed. “You got me. Point taken.”

Alma smiled warmly. “Tell you what… If we get through dinner without more bombshells, we’ll talk.”

Red flags fluttered in Rico’s mind. ‘Nice move, Alma. Buying dinner is only the beginning. She wants to ‘help’ me. And help means debt. It all comes down to control.

Rico raised the stakes. “I’m invited on a hot-air balloon race, later this month.” ‘Top that…

“Don’t forget a parachute… or at least an umbrella.”

Their food arrived. Rico toasted Alma.

She took a bite of steak. “Ooh! This is delicious!” She smiled, baring her teeth. “But seriously, I have ideas. We should talk.”

Rico’s phone buzzed. He checked it.

“I’m sorry. I have to deal with this.”

Excusing himself, Rico walked to the restroom. He thought, ‘She wants to win me and discard the others.

The text was from Renee, another girlfriend. He texted and clicked send.

I know the game. She won’t win. I won’t let her.

He returned to the table.

Alma smiled. “Missed you…”

“Me too. Just takin’ care of business,” he said.

Alma’s phone buzzed. She glanced at it and looked at Rico. “Watch this.”

Rico cocked his head. “What?”

She held the phone up and dropped it into her purse without responding to the call.

“See how easy that is? Anyone can do it. I did, because I’m with you.”

Rico nodded.

“Eat. Your food is cold.”

“Right…” He took a bite.

How many times must I suffer this? A dozen? Beth, Nina, Renee, Charlee… others. And now, Alma. How many… a baker’s dozen.

“I hope you don’t mind that I finished. I’ll talk. You eat.” Rico nodded and chewed.

“I’m thinking of moving into a larger space. We could cut expenses. Pool our resources…”

Rico mused, ‘How can something so seductive, be so hard? Like a monkey trap. Easy in. Hard to get out.

He slowed his chewing and lingered over his water glass.

Why do this? Am I insane? Do I need to get committed?’ He sang to himself... ‘There goes the gigolo who never could say ‘no’…

Alma continued, “There are wonderful locations opening. Spectacular views over the river…”

I’m sick, it’s a fatal flaw. Wake up, Rico! What’s the end game? If marriage isn’t the goal, why prolong the agony?

Rico signaled the waiter for two coffees.

Always posing. What started as a lark became a job. I need money. Probably do okay in sales... Depending on the product…’

Alma got his attention. “I could call your girlfriends for you and tell them you’re committed.”

Rico remained silent, as if considering her offer. ‘Women can be so demanding. One date and they think they own me.’

“You could text me their numbers… get them together. Have a party…”

I don’t need this. I have ‘the smile.’

“Don’t see the point of that, Alma.”

She forced a laugh and signaled the waiter.

“Yes, more coffee and a tiramisu with two spoons?” The waiter exited.

 “She’s planning my life? We just met. Does that even matter?

The waiter brought the dessert and the check. Alma grabbed it.

“Wow, Alma. I can’t thank you enough.”

She took a bite of the delicacy and swooned with pleasure.

“Despite a wonderful dinner… Believe me, I wish it could go on forever. But I’m going home tonight.”

Alma swallowed. “But I bought you dinner…”

Rico stood, “Yeah, my sincere thanks for that. But I really need to go.”

He left Alma staring at his empty chair.

Rico walked down the sidewalk toward his building. Every few steps he stopped to text into his phone, ‘Wish you well. I’m very busy. Please don’t call. All the best.

He took an inventory of his baker’s dozen and deleted the numbers of each in turn. ‘Yes… exactly what I need. A clean break.’

October 07, 2022 16:32

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Mustang Patty
15:24 Oct 11, 2022

Hi there, I love reading your stories. They're always well-constructed and meet the prompt squarely on the spot. A few notes: Missing an opening quotation mark - Rico met all his women through ‘Streetcar,’ the premier online dating site.’ Be careful with starting too many sentences with 'Always.' They then need to be followed by an imperative if you do use them. Wineglass, when used as an object in someone's hand is one word. And as always, double-check comma usage. ~MP~

Reply

John K Adams
16:20 Oct 11, 2022

Wow Patty, you do all this for free! Thanks for your acute eye. Are you doing editing of books on the side?

Reply

Mustang Patty
16:24 Oct 11, 2022

Hi, Yes, as a matter of fact, I do. Let me know if you need anything... ~MP~

Reply

John K Adams
18:37 Oct 11, 2022

Will do.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.