12 comments

Drama Teens & Young Adult Science Fiction

Hi. My name is Julie Maxwell. I am 17 and go to a private high school at Academy Prep High. And, remember we live in a world with robots and is 2350. I also have one best friend, Norma Anderson.

We do everything together, sleepovers etc.

Okay, enough about me, here is where everything gets real, literally.

So, I met Norma in first grade, and you would think everything was normal and we would be best friends, right? Well, no.

Last year, she met this guy, who I dont even know, and they have hung out together ever since. So, I lost my best friend, and she hasnt talked to me in months, like months. And Norma has been hanging out with the popular kids, so now she is popular.

A couple days ago, she texted me saying, quote on quote, ´ I have regretted even seeing you in first grade ´ Like what does that freaking mean??

THEN THE NEXT DAY, SHE INVITED ME OVER TO HER HOUSE FOR A PARTY.

Like has she gone insane? Little did I know what was really going on. Norma had been acting weird for the past couple months and when I went over to her house for the party, even her parents were acting suspicious like something was being hidden in their house.

I wasnt really sure if it was a good idea to go search around in her room. But, I did anyway. And I found all sorts of batteries and screws laid out in rows and columns on her bed.

I was thinking, Where did Norma get these and why? These batteries are not normal sizes for lights and stuff since we have everything non-battery controlled.

I knew I had to go find Norma, in the crowd of the party, and tell her. But, I couldnt because she was coming down the hall, with her shadow tagging along. So, I panicked and hide under Norma's bed. Someone else was following her too, and I heard them talking about charging and batteries. Maybe it was her boyfriend.

I heard him say, ¨ Norm, you have to tell Julie eventually, how much longer can you hide it?¨

Hide what?

I was shaking and furious, with other mixed emotions, so I snuck out of her room when Norma and her boyfriend were turned away from the door. So, I went out, and came back in, knocking, pretending that didnt just happen.

Knock, knock.

¨ Norma,¨ I say, pretending to shake, ¨ What.. uh are you doing with those unnormal sized batteries and screwdriver?¨

¨ Oh its you. I am uh fixing my lamp in the corner. Please go away bestie.¨

When she said bestie I shook. I looked at Normas back as she was turned around, and she had an unusual shape box thing tucked inside of her shirt, like it was part of her back.

Later on at the party, she was so tired and went up to her room to sleep. Thankfully, her back was up to the ceiling. So, being a person who is curious, lifted her shirt where I can find that interesting box. I found it, took that unusually large screwdriver to unscrew the box lid. And what I found was weird but fascinating at the same time. There were all sorts of switches and washers and screws perfectly put in line like a single-file line in second grade.

There was an on and off switch, and it was turned towards the on button. She was starting to wake up so I left, and kept the door open a crack so I could see. I think Norma somehow saw me, and she called me in, and started yelling nonsense at me.

It was like, ¨ Why..how could you.. Why didnt you come when I..¨

Norma kept pausing in the middle of her sentence and repetitively kept saying the same thing over and over again. I ran over to her flipped the off switch and ran away so the sparks did not reach me. Norma kept screaming something very unaudible and ran downstairs so nothing seemed suspicious.

Then, I went home to find a new best friend, that is not a robot. And then years, later I met someone, a guy, who asked me out. I told him I would only say yes if he could prove he wasnt a robot, because my best friend was. So, he proved he was not a robot, and we continued our date plans. His name was Shaun Riley, and yes with a U. Haha. I asked him later on that night after a romantic dinner, if he wanted to come to my apartment to watch a movie marathon. Of course, he said YES!! Ahhhhh!

On my 24th birthday, I spent my first birthday with my boyfriend. And on that same day, guess what, he proposed!!! Ahhh I am so excited. The wedding plans are already made for one year from now.

One Year Later

Its the wedding day!! Im not sure if I want to get married now. Its scary. Now Im kind of skeptical that Shaun is a robot too, he has been acting weird and so have his parents. I just brushed it off like nothing happened. But, something did happen with Norma, remember? Im not sure if this is going to work out, but I guess we will see.

Oh, I forgot to mention, but we also had a child. Yeah. Her name is Willa Joy. She is turning two in a couple months. My husband has been acting fine, but I feel something is still bugging him. And I just cant seem to grasp my fingertips on it. Shaun has also been having weird nightmares of robots coming alive and attacking him, if that isnt weird enough. Well, it is weird because that is exactly what happened to me. I just dont want Willa to have to go through that, finding a best friend and find out she is a robot.

February 23, 2021 16:27

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

12 comments

Whitney Jones
17:46 Feb 26, 2021

WELCOME!!!!!!!! I'll tell you this in advance my thoughs be going all over the place so if this doens't make sense let me know so I can let you know what I mean. When you said "..I go to a private high school at Academy Prep High.." it would have made more sense if you would have done something like "I go to a private high school, Academy Prep High..." or if you wanted to write it kind of like you did yours you could have done something like "I go to Academy Prep High, which is a private high school." Or something like that. Yea, you shou...

Reply

AVAN SHIPECK
18:10 Feb 26, 2021

Yes! I totally see what you mean. I wrote another story and hopefully its better. I will do better! Thank you for this feedback!!

Reply

Whitney Jones
18:52 Feb 26, 2021

Okie Dokie and you are very welcome.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Izzie Q.
16:56 Feb 23, 2021

hi!! wow, great first story Avan!! i literally can't wait to read more and this community is lucky to have you in it :) love your bio as well!!

Reply

AVAN SHIPECK
18:17 Feb 23, 2021

omg thank you so much! i think your stories are very very inspiring as well!! writing has always been so much fun for me! when i was younger i was obsessed with minecraft so i would go write stories of two minecraft characters roaming in the forest. ahah :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
AVAN SHIPECK
17:09 Mar 12, 2021

Anyone have questions or suggestions? I havent seen any comments in a while!... :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Cookie Carla🍪
15:05 Feb 25, 2021

This story was very... forward. I know you wrote the character's point of view in the story, but I think it could've used without all the "Ahhhhh!" and capitalized sentences. I read your bio so I seen that you are 13-14 years old😂. I think this story was a little underdeveloped. It could've been brought some more oomph to it, ya know?? Like if you would've slowed down a LOT and describe some things around you so that the reader could picture themselves in Julia's shoes. And as a 17 year old, don't you think she's acting kind of immature fo...

Reply

AVAN SHIPECK
15:08 Feb 25, 2021

Yes! Sorry!! Ill try better! Thank you for the feedback.

Reply

Cookie Carla🍪
15:30 Feb 25, 2021

No worries!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Cookie Carla🍪
14:59 Feb 25, 2021

Thank you so much for including me in your bio!!! That was really nice of you!!!

Reply

AVAN SHIPECK
13:28 Feb 26, 2021

ofc!! i loved ur bio and the layout!!

Reply

Cookie Carla🍪
18:58 Feb 27, 2021

Why thank you!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.