7 comments

Mystery

“Jack? Is it you? Is it really you? We thought you were dead!”


“It’s me alright Lisa. Alive and well, though sometimes I think I’d be better off dead.”


“You can’t say that Jack. Here let me take a look at you.”


Lisa placed her hands-on Jack's shoulders and looked him up and down.


“You’ve lost a great deal of weight, for sure. Where on earth have you been these past five years? Why have you suddenly turned up in town? We had a funeral for you. Missing, presumed dead, they said. We had a ceremony.”


“I know, Lisa”


"You know? How? If you knew then why the hell didn’t you tell us, you were alive?”


“I couldn’t.”


“What do you mean, you couldn’t?”


“Look, can we go somewhere and talk? Somewhere quiet. The café around the corner is often empty this time of day. I’ve been going there for my meals sometimes.”


“What do you mean-your meals? I don’t understand Jack.”


“Let’s go there anyway. We can talk. I can tell you what’s been happening to me.”


“I think an explanation might be a good idea Jack. After all your mum and friends deserve to know where you’ve been all this time. I’m getting angry here Jack. After nearly five years you turn up without any explanation. I don’t think you’re being fair on yourself or anyone for that matter.” 


Jack and Lisa turned left and headed for the pint-sized café. Three sets of tables and chairs stood neatly in a row outside. Inside the place was empty. Just one person behind the counter ready to take their order.


“Here, Lisa, let’s sit in the corner. What would you like?”


“I’ll get it Jack. You look as if you’re skint.”


“Thanks Lisa. I was hoping you wouldn’t notice.”


“It’s obvious Jack. You’re down on your luck good and proper. What will you have? I’m telling you a brandy wouldn’t go amiss here; however, I’ll stick to coffee and a flapjack."


“I’ll have whatever you’re having Lisa.”


Lisa placed the order, then sat at the little round table opposite Jack. Resting her chin in her hands her eyes scanned the person she believed to be dead.

Long, greasy hair. A jawline covered in mottled stubble. Clothes two sizes too big even for his tall frame and broad shoulders. He looked nothing like the suited Jack she remembered from her post high school days.


Jack dived into the coffee and flapjacks as soon as they arrived. Like a street dog that hadn’t eaten for a week.


“Slow down Jack. Would you like me to order a breakfast or some sandwiches?”


“No, I’m fine. I just love coffee and flapjacks, that’s all. Sorry, I’ve lost my manners.”


“So, Jack are you going to tell me what’s been happening these past five years? Why you’ve been missing without trace or presumed dead?”


“Too many questions Lisa. Give me a chance.”


“Sorry Jack. You don’t know what it’s been like for all of us here. Not knowing what’s happened to you. We were told nothing. Everyone’s been extremely worried and upset. Your mum has aged so over the past five years. She’s just not herself. Why couldn’t you at least have let her know you were alive?”


“I couldn’t Lisa and that’s that. So much has happened to me. I’ve been through hell and that’s an understatement.”


“All your mum got was a letter saying you were missing presumed dead. She had some visits from two weird men in grey suits who told her not to worry. That’s all they said. Your mum was distraught, and they said they hoped she wasn’t too upset.”


“I’m sorry Lisa, but it had nothing to do with me.”


“What do you mean it had nothing to do with you? I’m sure you could have visited your mum or phoned her at some point over the past five years. And what about Rona?”


“What about Rona?”


“Well, I will tell you Jack Sheldon, Rona has found someone else. Yes, and she’s very happy too. They’ve just had a baby boy. They’ve called him Nicholas. They were going to name him Jack but then decided it would be Nicholas after your dad instead.”


“Well, I’m glad Rona’s made a fresh start. Honest I am. I hope they’re happy together."


“Oh, they are Jack-and it’s no thanks to you.”


“Look, Lisa, I couldn’t help the ship exploding and sinking, could I now? Everything went tits up after that. My life changed beyond words.”


“Yes, Jack, we heard about the explosion on the news. Your mum was in total despair. Then we didn’t hear anything. Not a bloody thing. You’d think the Home Office would have contacted relatives. No news or information about you for ages.”


Jack squeezed Lisa’s hand, trying to give her reassurance.


“Yes, the ship went down. There were six of us survivors. We floated for days. I really don’t remember much. I was delirious most of the time with burns to my back. They told me we’d somehow climbed onto debris from the ship and floated along and landed on some island or other. The inhabitants found us all and we were then rushed to the local hospital. From there I was flown to Australia.”


“Australia? Why Australia?”


“It was the nearest land mass to the island, and it had the best hospital facilities. Sydney.”


“Sydney! So, you were in Sydney. How long for?”


“Four and a half years.”


“Four and a half years, Jack! And you didn’t think to contact anyone?”


“Look, Lisa. You don’t understand.”


“Too right I don’t.”


“I had burns to my back. My memory went. I couldn’t recall a thing about the explosion and very little of what happened before or after that. I didn’t know my name or rank either. It took me a long time to recover.”


“Well I’m sorry to hear all that Jack but I do think you or the authorities should have told your mum. Given her hope.”


“I know. It was all hush-hush. You know what it’s like.”


“No, I don’t know what it’s like Jack. I think it’s all a load of bullshit to be quite honest.”


“I had over ten operations on my back. Skin grafts taken from my arms and legs.”


Jack pulled up his shirt sleeve to reveal the scars. Lisa recoiled in horror.


“If you think my arms look a mess then you should see my legs Lisa. I’ve had over forty skin grafts. My back’s in a state too but I’m not going to show it to you here. I might get arrested. I’ve also had to learn to walk again and try and get my memory back. It’s not been easy Lisa. I was asked if I wanted to contact anyone after they discovered who I was. I said no.”


“You said no.”


“Yes, I refused to let them tell anyone. How could I let people see me with all my injuries and hardly knowing who I was? It was a nightmare.”


“Well you’re here now Jack. So, what brings you to this place now of all times?”


“I’m trying to get my life back on track.”


“Where are you living now?”


“High Beck.”


“High Beck? That’s a wood.”


“Yes, High Beck Woods.”


“You’re living in High Beck Woods?”


“Yes.”


“You’re joking Jack. Tell me you’re joking.”


“No. I’ve been living rough ever since I got back to the UK. I can’t face living in proper housing. They did give me a room, but it was so claustrophobic. I couldn’t stand it. I have to be out in the open. I have to be aware of my surroundings. I have nightmares and palpitations and all that jazz that goes with the accident and memory loss.”


“But where do you sleep Jack? What about washing and clean clothes and food and stuff?”


“There’s a centre not far from here. I go there about once a month. They check me over, give me a shower, do my laundry and give me some food to take away if I need it.”


“If you need it? What do you do for food the rest of the time then? Don’t tell me you sit and beg. You’re not a beggar are you Jack.? I can’t stand this. My best friend from high school a homeless beggar.”


“It’s not like that Lisa. It’s not like that at all. It’s what I want. It’s what I can put up with. I can’t live in a house. I couldn’t work if I tried. Noise just sends me off on one of my fits. I cannot bear to be with or near people at the moment. The doc’ says it’ll get better but so far it hasn’t.”


“Have you tried to get help Jack? Have you really tried?”


“Yes, Lisa. I get help all the time. Once a month from the centre. They’re marvellous people in there. They don’t put pressure on me. You’re putting pressure on me right now Lisa.”


“Sorry Jack, but it’s been such a long time and as I said we were told you were dead.”


“I know, but there’s nothing I can do about that.”


“We have a ceremony every year, at the church you know. The vicar is amazing to your mum. Very comforting. You’ve just got to see your mum and Rona. You’ll have to forgive Rona, but she did her best after you disappeared.”


“It’s all such a mess Lisa. I really don’t know what to do about anything, anymore.”


“Look, Jack will it help if I come and see where you are living? Or would you like to come and live with Terry and me. We’ve got the space.”


“No, thanks Lisa. I couldn’t live with you and Terry. I told you living inside is not on right now. You can come to woods and look around. There are quite a few of us there. You can meet my mates.”


Lisa finished her coffee.


“Tomorrow then. What time at the woods?”


“Noon will be alright with me and the other lads. Wait at the old stone bridge and I’ll escort you to our little village. We call it The Village.”


“Twelve noon tomorrow then Jack. Here let me give you a kiss. It’s been such a long time.”


Lisa kissed Jack on both cheeks and gave him a hug then left the café.


Early the following morning Lisa arrived at the stone bridge. Jack already waiting. They embraced. Lisa hung on a little longer, not understanding what was happening to her high school friend.


“Follow me Lisa. The path is quite narrow and a bit muddy in parts, but you’ll be okay.”


Lisa followed Jacks footsteps until they reached a small clearing that had a domed green tent in it.



“This is my home Lisa. Everything I own is either here or on my back.”


“Well I must say it doesn’t look as messy as some sites I’ve seen on the telly, Jack. I will say that. Can I look inside the tent?”


“Yeah sure.”


“You haven’t got many belongings. I can see your bedding and your cooking utensils and that’s about it Jack. How on earth do you manage.”


“Oh, I manage very well. We were taught survival as part of the job. There are so many ways you can survive, whether it’s in the jungle or the desert. It’s not that difficult when you know how. I enjoy looking after myself. I forage and we get stuff from the centre as well.”


“Where are the other people.”


“Oh, they preferred not to meet up today they said. So, it’s just me.”


“Well Jack, you can hardly invite your mum here and maybe not Rona either. What can I do to help you Jack? I want to help you reunite at least with your mum.”


“No, no. Please leave Mum out of it. I really couldn’t face her after all these years. I feel a bit of a fake and as I said my memory is not good. There’s so much I can’t recall. I might not even recognise her. You’re lucky I noticed you in town yesterday.”


“Oh, Jack but we’ve got to do something about you.”


“Can you talk to the doctors at the centre next time you go. See if they can do something about your memory. Look, can we meet up again soon?”


“Yes, that will be great. I’ll look forward to that. What about the same time next week at the café?”


“That’s fine with me Jack. I look forward to it. Maybe you’ll be able to tell me more of what has been happening to you.”


“Maybe. Maybe not.”


A week later Lisa arrived at the café as planned. Once again, she was early. She ordered two coffees.

At precisely twelve noon Jack’s lank frame appeared in the doorway.


“You must have been here a while Lisa. I see you’ve already had two drinks.”


“Yes, but I could do with another. I’ll go and order them. Would you like some cake or a sandwich?”


“Cake will be great, thanks.”


“I won’t be a minute Jack; I need to powder my nose first.”


“Okay. I’ll still be here.”


Lisa went over to the counter and ordered three coffees and three cakes and then went into the Ladies cloakroom.


“Are you ready Mary? Ready to meet your son Jack?”


“As ready as I’ll ever be Lisa.”


“Come on then. I’m right beside you.”


Lisa took Mary by the arm and helped her back into the café.

Mary stood for a second frozen to the spot, her shaking body making Lisa feel anxious at what was going to happen.


“It’s okay Mary, everything’s going to be alright from now on.”


With a soft, trembling voice Mary called out, “Jack.”


Jack, startled, lifted his eyes from the table and looked across the café toward the lady’s cloakroom.


 “Mum?”

July 31, 2020 11:57

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

7 comments

נιмму 🤎
21:22 Aug 13, 2020

Aww cute ending, mother and son being reunited!❤

Reply

Show 0 replies
Amber Shepherd
07:39 Aug 06, 2020

I loved this story. I really liked how they adressed each other by name in the speech. Not only did it clarify who was talking but it really made the characters stand out to me. It's unusual to read a story which is mostly dialogue but I thought it worked amazingly well. It kept the story moving, and, as someone else has mentioned in the comments, it was such well written dialogue that it made a vivid story. Really great story Barbara :)

Reply

Barbara Burgess
08:07 Aug 06, 2020

thank you very much for your comments Amber - they are greatly appreciated. I think people do address others by name in real life especially when senses are heightened. Thank you for your comments.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Yolanda Wu
00:35 Aug 06, 2020

I really like the use of dialogue in this story. Usually, I'm really into the descriptions, but you managed to make the dialogue very vivid, I could really imagine the two of them talking. It's really interesting to see your take on the prompt because I happened to choose the same one and had so much fun writing it. Great work!

Reply

Barbara Burgess
08:08 Aug 06, 2020

thank you very much for your comments Yolanda - they are greatly appreciated. I enjoy writing dialogue. I will look at your story later as well. thanks again.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Deborah Angevin
23:32 Jul 31, 2020

I love the dialogues in this story, Barbara! It is very well-written! Would you mind checking my recent story, "A Very, Very Dark Green?" Thank you :)

Reply

Barbara Burgess
07:31 Aug 01, 2020

Thank you Deborah or your comments. Glad you enjoyed my story. Thank you also for saying it is well written. I will read your story as well. Good luck with all your writing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.