Project Trick-Or-Treating

Submitted into Contest #13 in response to: Write a story about an eventful evening of trick-or-treating.... view prompt

0 comments

Kids

Oh hello, I'm Jake Erikson. I'm eleven and I live at some apartment here at Shining City. Shining City is known as the most cheerful place in the whole world. Every week we celebrate festivals that aren't even important just like (festival), (festival), and (festival) but none of it matters because a few more days Halloween will take over Shining Town. 

      I mean c’mon everyone likes Halloween except for Principal Dan. You can sense it in his name D-a-n, sounds like a made-up name if you ask me. The guy never likes Halloween maybe it’s the fact that his house always gets covered with egg yolks and toilet papers or maybe he was straight born that way but here’s one thing that I know about him and that is he’s evil. It was that one time where I can truly say that Principal Dan is evil. It happened three years ago on a Halloween night when Principal Dan was giving cookies to us children. Oh, I’m sorry what’s so bad about giving cookies to trick-or-treaters? Oh, there’s nothing bad, there’s nothing bad at all except for the fact that those cookies have raisins!!! I mean who would want cookies with raisins old people maybe but children goodness gracious NO! 

      Anyway, the story begins on a typical Halloween Eve. I was having the best time of my life – carving pumpkins, decorating the house, watching TV, eating, scaring people, playing video games, eating (You get the point) but it was all disturbed by a sudden knock on the door.

 “Coming” I shouted

When I opened the door, my soul immediately left my body. In front of me stood the most gruesome creature of all and by creature, I meant my friend, Dave.

 “Hi, Dave” I said “What happened to your face?”

“But this is my face” Dave replied 

“Oh really?” I said confusingly “I thought it was a costume”

 “You’re still doing the dare aren’t you?” Dave said

“Three hours left and I can stop all this insult” I explained

“You are kinda good though” Dave said

“Why thank you” I said gratefully

When I was about to let Dave inside the house our new neighbor Mr. Miller came whistling down the stairs while wiping his fingers that were covered in red at a white apron and for some reason, I know that that was blood. He abruptly stopped on his tracks and stared directly at our souls.

 “Children” he said in a Russian accent

“Great day, Mr. Miller” I said forcing a smile

“A great day it is” he said as he narrowed his eyes and he returned upstairs

Once Mr. Miller was out of sight I pulled Dave inside and locked the door. We stared at each other traumatically and shared the same thought in our head: Mr. Miller might be a murderer.

* * *

“There’s no way he’s a murderer” Dave said

“How do you know that?” I said “He was wiping the blood off his fingers”

“How do you know its even blood?” asked Dave “It could be ketchup or . . .”

“Its blood” I interrupted “It’s definitely blood”

“Can you please calm down for a moment?” Dave said

I took a deep breath and tried to calm myself by imagining milkshakes and ice cream.

“Okay” I said “I’m good”

“Let’s not jump into conclusions here” Dave said “We need to find evidence first so . . . what’s the plan”

“Let me think about it” I said

“Jake” mom called “Can you be a dear and take off the trash?”

“Consider it done” I answered and faced Dave gesturing for him to follow “Come on”

* * *

      Taking out the trash always helps me think deeper for some weird reason because by the time we finished I already formulated a plan for this situation. While going back I told Dave about my crazy plan and I was incredibly happy to hear that he agreed to our plan.

“So tonight, when we go off trick or treating” Dave, recalled

“Exactly” I said

I turned the door know but it was lock. 

“Dave, did you lock the door?” I asked

“Maybe” He answered “but your mom’s inside right so why just knock”

I knocked on the door and heard mom calling for me to get the door. I knocked harder until she finally shouted for her to come. While waiting for her to come, our neighbor Mr. Miller once again came down from downstairs dragging a huge duffle bag with an arm sticking out the bag. Hastily, we hid behind a couch and followed eyes on Mr. Miller. A man approached Mr. Miller and gave him money. Mr. Miller handed the bag to the strange man and returned upstairs. By the time mom opened the door both of them were already gone.

* * *

“He’s a contract killer?” I said

“Obviously” Dave said “You saw the guy handing out the money”

“I suppose so” I said

“Well, then tonight we proceed to our plan” Dave said

“What plan?” Mom asked

“Plan for trick or treating” I lied

“Oh, okay” Mom said “Hi, Dave when did you get here. I love your costume by the way”

When she left Dave stared at her with disgust.

* * *

      It was finally Halloween night which means we were about to witness one of the best and worse nights of all considering the fact that we have to stop our neighbor, Mr. Miller. At around six Dave was already inside went with the rest of our friends. 

      “Okay, so you already know the plan” I said

“Yep” Nick said

“So, let’s get into it” Dave said

“Okay, but where's your costumes?” asked Kate. She was dressed as a princess based on the movie Shrek.

“You’ve got to think something fast or else we’d be suspicious” said Evelyn who was dressed as the Greek goddess Athena.

It only took us a couple of minutes to where our costumes and by the time we went out of the room I never felt more heroic in my life since I was dressed as Batman. Dave, on the other hand, was dressed like Professor X. Nick was dressed as Magneto.

“Really?” Dave said looking at Nick

“What you have a problem with my costume?” Nick asked

“No, but I do have a problem with Magneto” Dave said “He’s umm . . . lame for me”

“Give me one thing that makes Magneto lame” Nick said

“His lame powers” Dave said

“You really should fear me”

“Oh I do, I don’t stand a chance against you in a third-grade science fair. You’re dumb you’re the mutant equivalent of a baking soda volcano”

“You’re dumb”

“Piping hot comeback Magnet man”

“What’s so cool about Professor X anyway?”

“Uhh . . . he’s unprecedented psychic ability”

“Oh right, I forgot he’s a psychic what’s you nine hundred number again?”

“Clever, almost as clever as your name Magneto. I mean I use the power of my mind should I be Mind-o”

“You’re bald also”

“Oh, you want to make fun of heads wearing that helmet?”

“This helmet is ingenious it prevents you from reading my thoughts”

“And does the cape do that as well or do you just like looking like a live-action role-playing nerd”

“Why would you prefer that I wear a men’s warehouse styled suit. You look like a college basketball coach standing n the sidelines or in your case sitting”

“Boys!!” Evelyn said “Should we get going now?”

“Sure” Dave and Nick said in unison

“You are gifted with words Nick” Dave said

“You are also” Nick said

“Anyway, now that that was over let’s go trick-or-treating,” I said

* * *

      One by one we all approached the room until it was only Mr. Miller’s room. The whole building was filling up with tension as slowly I reached to knock the door. The door slid open and Mr. Miller was standing right in front of us wearing a chef’s outfit.

      “Trick or Treat” Mr. Miller shouted raising a butcher knife

      We all screamed and went running around in circles. Nick, on the other hand, was sneaking behind Mr. Miller and electrified him with a 100V tazer from last year’s Science project and expectedly he fainted.

* * *

      When Mr. Miller woke up he was tied in a chair with not only ropes but handcuffs and chain. 

“What’s all this?” Mr. Miller said

“We know the truth Mr. Miller” I said

“Okay, so I’m not Russian what do you care about that” Mr. Miller said in an English accent

“Wait, you’re not Russian” Dave asked

“That’s not it” I said

“What, that I still sleep with my teddy bear?”

“Keep that to yourself old man” Kate said

“That you’re a killer” Nick said

“What!?” Mr. Miller said surprisingly “I’m no killer”

“But what about the blood in your apron” I said

“That’s ketchup”

“How do you explain the duffle bag with a dead body inside?” asked Dave

“That was a decoration for my friend’s house that he bought from me” Mr. Miller said “Well, I bought it from Amazon first then . . . but you get the point”

“So, this was all a complete waste of time?” I sadly said

“I guess so” Mr. Miller said “Can you free me now?”

I nodded and Nick freed him.

“Sorry for the misunderstanding Mr. Miller” I said

“It’s fine” Mr. Miller replied

“So now that’s over can we get candies now?” Evelyn said

“Sure” Mr. Miller said

“You're good when it comes to scaring Mr. Miller” Kate said

“That’s the work of an actor” Mr. Miller said

“Wait, you’re an actor!?” Kate said with disbelief

While the girls were busy with the life of an actor we boys, on the other hand, were busy complimenting the plastic butcher knife that looked real but hold on this isn’t the end of the story. While we were in deep conversation with Mr. Miller, someone knocked on the door.

“I’ll get it” Mr. Miller said

While Mr. Miller was busy with the trick or treaters we continued our conversation.

“Wow, Mr. Miller sure is a great guy don’t you think” Kate said

“He sure is” I said

“Can we stay here for a while Mr. Miller?” Nick asked

No response

“Mr. Miller?” Dave called 

When we looked at the front door Mr. Miller was lying on the floor with his blood on the floor but that wasn’t the center of our attention. We were all focused on the man standing in front of the corpse of Mr. Miller. It was hard to see his face because he was covered in darkness but when he stepped forward we finally recognized the face. It was Principal Dan with a knife in his hands.

“Trick or Treat children!!!” He screamed as he closed the door

* * *

“The End” I said

“That was the scariest story you have ever made” Dave said

      “But mine’s better though” Nick bragged

“No, I was better at it” Kate said

“Come on, everyone knows that I had the best story” Evelyn boasted

“I know you all had great stories” Mom said “How about you Mr. Miller do you have a scary story to tell” 

“Well, I have” Mr. Miller said “Prepare yourself children for the scariest story you have ever heard”

The End

 

October 29, 2019 17:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.